Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSJ IST - Trying not to be cynical.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I've written before about the Scouts who've been to WSJ in Sweden and Japan who were very unimpressed, in one case seriously trying to get some of his hard earned money back (for Sweden 6 of the 11 we sent said they rather not have gone, and a couple very much more enjoyed their troop camps to K'steg more).

So, I'm not a fan of WSJ at all.
    The old man sat at the side of the road between Seatown and Hilltown, a traveller from Hilltown came along and asked him "Good fellow! What are the people of Seatown like? I'd like to know before I travel there!" the old man replied "Tell me first sir, what are the people like in Hilltown?" "Oh, friendly, happy folk mostly", the old man replied "well, the people of Seatown are much the same".
    Later that day, a traveller from Seatown came along the road and met with the old man, and asked him "You! What are the people of Hilltown like? I've left Seatown for good I reckon, a miserable miserly bunch they are. So tell me, what are they like in Hilltown?" the old man replied "well, the people of Hilltown are much the same."
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (08-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Whereas one of our Explorers (at the time) went to Sweden and absolutely loved the experience especially the Home Hospitality and I think he is still in touch with some of the people he met there and one of our current AESLs went to Japan and evidently really enjoyed it and says he would have loved to have gone to USA as IST.

I do agree the cost is high for both participants and IST but I certainly think its a worthwhile expereince so long as participants understand what they are and are not going to get out of it (meeting Scouts from across the world not necessarily big ticket adventurous activities)
    Oh don't get me wrong, the other 5 loved it - or said they did. But I'm not sure I'd want to take a 50% chance that I'd hate it for the amount of effort. Sweden was different I think, being particularly focussed on the environment and spirituality. It didn't help that our county team had set expectations very high for activities and events, expectations which weren't met. Japan seemed slightly better but again the comments about queuing in extreme heat and activities and events not matching pre-trip "sales talk".

I particularly dislike the pressure on the returning participants. The amount of time and effort required to send them, and supporting from groups, district, family and friends means that they absolutely "have to have loved it" or let all those people down. I met a Korean jamboree participant at our group centenary some 15 years after the event and only then did he admit it was amongst the worst three weeks he'd experienced before or since, particularly the Hoho bit (which was different in those days), but after the event he'd had to tell everyone how brilliant it was.

Having said that Hoho seems to be better enjoyed. But then as troop a while back we did a swap with a troop in Denver where for the first week we all stayed with local families and camped for the second. It was great and lifelong friendships made. But didn't cost as much as a third of the Jamboree at the time.
    Last edited by RisingStar; 08-02-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Having said that Hoho seems to be better enjoyed. But then as troop a while back we did a swap with a troop in Denver where for the first week we all stayed with local families
    Well that's all been stopped now, as we can't be sure them foreign types aren't "dodgy".
    Ian Wilkins

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (08-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Well that's all been stopped now, as we can't be sure them foreign types aren't "dodgy".
    I didn't realise that... I mean, I knew from the daily papers and all the Britian First posts on FB that these foreign types were dodgy... but I didn't realise that hoho had been taken off the package.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I didn't realise that... I mean, I knew from the daily papers and all the Britian First posts on FB that these foreign types were dodgy... but I didn't realise that hoho had been taken off the package.
    Only if you're a proper scout.

They've changed them pesky rules so you can only have what they call "group" hospitality when going abroad. I.e. you all camp together.

POR 9.64.f if you're really bored.

Groups visiting the UK can still do HoHo (POR 9.65.e), because good solid British people with good solid British values are fine*

* Subject to DBS clearance.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Only if you're a proper scout.
    You mean like the guys around me ... In that case I'm not a proper scout

They've changed them pesky rules so you can only have what they call "group" hospitality when going abroad. I.e. you all camp together.

POR 9.64.f if you're really bored.

Groups visiting the UK can still do HoHo (POR 9.65.e), because good solid British people with good solid British values are fine*

* Subject to DBS clearance.
    Interesting development. So, essentially, if Johnny Onion, or Paulo Pizza come here they can have Hoho.... if their Association trusts good old British honesty and decency... I suspect that Hoho in the UK is going to die a death.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk