Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WSJ IST - Trying not to be cynical.

Thanks
    You're not even supposed to refill the kit bottles.

Not supposed to...

Thanks
    Obviously this is now after the fact but yeh, I agree that WSJ seems incredibly expensive in comparison to EuroJam. Even the Blair Atholl jamborette is kinda in the same ball park as EuroJam at £260 for Scottish staff and £320 for overseas staff (odd that they don't mention the rest of the UK)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie32 View Post
    Obviously this is now after the fact but yeh, I agree that WSJ seems incredibly expensive in comparison to EuroJam. Even the Blair Atholl jamborette is kinda in the same ball park as EuroJam at £260 for Scottish staff and £320 for overseas staff (odd that they don't mention the rest of the UK)
    The IST fee is broken into two parts - that which is charged by WOSM to all IST members - this page has breakdown of the WSJ Fees for IST https://www.2019wsj.org/jamboree-fee/

- UK is on the highest band of fees as we are seen as a rich country (which compared with most of the world we are) - so the WOSM IST fee was USD 1,175. This fee is included in the UK IST fee - as the WOSM fee is collected by the UK Contingent. The Option A fee, which includes a pre-event weekend, uniform & luggage, travel from the UK airport to Jamboree site, then Jambo, then travel & accommodation of the whole UK contingent event in Washington, then travel home is £2,995 - see https://ukcontingent.co.uk/jamboree-...nd-post-event/

From what I see on the Blair Atholl Jamborette website - their staff fee only includes travel within Scotland, a badge & scarf; here appears to be no cross-subsidy for staff/ participants from overseas (which is perfectly understandable).

So inevitably the WSJ IST cost is going to be much higher than the Blair Atholl Jamborette - they are different experiences.

I helped out at the London Region IST Selection event 2 years ago - and there were no shortage of attendees trying to become an iST member - cost was not putting them off.
    “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    The IST fee is broken into two parts - that which is charged by WOSM to all IST members - this page has breakdown of the WSJ Fees for IST https://www.2019wsj.org/jamboree-fee/

- UK is on the highest band of fees as we are seen as a rich country (which compared with most of the world we are) - so the WOSM IST fee was USD 1,175. This fee is included in the UK IST fee - as the WOSM fee is collected by the UK Contingent. The Option A fee, which includes a pre-event weekend, uniform & luggage, travel from the UK airport to Jamboree site, then Jambo, then travel & accommodation of the whole UK contingent event in Washington, then travel home is £2,995 - see https://ukcontingent.co.uk/jamboree-...nd-post-event/

From what I see on the Blair Atholl Jamborette website - their staff fee only includes travel within Scotland, a badge & scarf; here appears to be no cross-subsidy for staff/ participants from overseas (which is perfectly understandable).

So inevitably the WSJ IST cost is going to be much higher than the Blair Atholl Jamborette - they are different experiences.

I helped out at the London Region IST Selection event 2 years ago - and there were no shortage of attendees trying to become an iST member - cost was not putting them off.
    That for me isn't the issue. Certainly I know at least 2 scouts who couldn't attend despite being selected because their parents couldn't countenance the commitment to pay and wouldn't believe that their offspring could earn 50 per week every week for 18 months by fund raising as the county claimed.

In fact a quick straw poll of our attendees showed the most raised was half of it and on average a quarter fund raised.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post

Very true but what I was saying was based upon the original post which talks about the costs being £1500 or £1800 which would be Options C and D which don't include the travel; the £1500 option being purely "jamboree only". Yes, they will be very different experiences, of course but from a staff cost perspective, to me anyway, WSJ just seems way overpriced compared to many other similar events.

Thanks
    I think the sheer scale of a WSJ makes it different to anything else, so whilst other camps/jamborettes offer similar experiences of meeting scouts from other countries, it won’t be 140 countries.
    I have spoken to my son virtually every day as he has had so much to tell us, some good some not so good, but he is buzzing about his experience, so I expect him to say it was worth it.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

ianw (05-08-2019),Jamie32 (06-08-2019)