Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go outdoors grumble no refunds here, even for faulty goods

Thanks

Go outdoors grumble no refunds here, even for faulty goods

Most of the time we use canvas tents, however we have a small stock of nylon tents, the latest batch have been purchased form Go outdoors ( this one was purchased just over a month ago)
    With most of these we have had no problem, however with one the pole snapped on first use this was a brand new tent just removed from its packaging.

I had a similar problem with another tent, purchased from Cotswolds, for which they obtained replacement new poles, no such service with Go outdoors
    Apparently its against their policy's to refund/repair or replace ( some) faulty items and any request to replace or even get spares was refused with an " its against our policy" reply

So now I've complained to thier customer support line, and to trading standards:

Trading standards compliant:
    Your complaint or enquiry
    Please provide details of your complaint.enquiry (limit of 2250 characters) (required)
    A Tent was purchased from Go outdoors derby, and on its first use whilst being put up for the first time, one of the poles failed making it impossible to use.
    The item was purchased on the 1st of June 2019, it failed on the 15th of June, an attempt to refund/replace, or repair the item was made on the 7th July ( the first opportunity i had to return it)
    This was refused by the store, as they said it was against their policy, even though the item is less than 6 months old, and failed as soon as it was taken out of the packaging

6 of these tents have been purchased from the retailer before for a Scout group with no issue, they are purchased by myself and become property of the Scout group once i have received payment.
    I was assisting in putting the tent up, and witnessed the fault/issue presenting itself immediatly
    Please use the box below to outline the trader's response to the complaint, if any:

Trader said it was against their policy to refund/repair/replace that item, even though it was under 6 months old and the fault presented itself immediately on first use

Thanks
    You could check with Citizens Advice, from memory the Consumer Rights Act requires “all products - including electrical goods - must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described”. Failing on first use would fall under the second criteria. Quoting the relevant legislation sometimes gets things to work, then there’s always the consumer ombudsman and the small claims court,

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    You could check with Citizens Advice, from memory the Consumer Rights Act requires “all products - including electrical goods - must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described”. Failing on first use would fall under the second criteria. Quoting the relevant legislation sometimes gets things to work, then there’s always the consumer ombudsman and the small claims court,
    Can you go to what was the small claims?

Give them 30 days then claim.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 871 Posts
    I think I'd be politely explaining that you're not an ordinary customer. That as a Scouter you have the ear (potentially) of tens of thousands of other scouters who in turn have the ear of hundreds of thousands of parents.

You could tell them it might no longer be Scout Association policy to buy tents with defective poles from Go Outdoors.

Thanks
    Thier policy on tent retunrs on the website is this
    If you experience any problems with your tent poles, please get in touch with a member of our team, who will help you with a repair or replacement.
    I was only offered a repair kit, if you've ever used a repair kit you will know how much of a pain it can be to re-thread the elastic, get the tension right and tie it off without it all springing back, plus its never as good as the original, which is noi way nears the offer to help with a repair ( i did ask but was told no - "we dont have the facilities or ability to repair in store") and the replacement option was flat out refused, i would have been happy with either just a pole, or a complete like for like swap, whichever would have been easier for them

Thanks
    Our Scout Leader and a few of our young leaders work at our local branch of Go Outdoors and out Scout Leader is the expert in getting us the right kit with a good discount. We had a couple of faulty tents bought last year which were discovered when being pitched for the first time and he took them back to exchange them.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    You just met an overzealous sales person (seems odd, as generally staff in a huge store like that would have no incentive to be unhelpful)

I've always found them just fine so just going in the next day to see a different manager or emailing them via the website would probably get the result and be easier than contacting trading standards.

Thanks
    The sales person was fine, as was the supervisor the issues kicked in when the manager appeared, and smugly said we dont offer refunds/repairs replacements etc.
    This isn't a trent pole that has been used, it was brand new fresh out of the packaging. Slid it in, then snap.
    We have other identical tents and not one of those has had any issues
    I even got an apology from the shop floor sales staff.

Needless to say I've got no intention of purchasing anything from them again, the trust pilot reviews and overall score of terrible sums it up

If I don't hear back from them at the end of today, then I will start chasing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,275 Posts
    The problem with flexible tent poles is that ALL of them will break eventually, particularly the cheaper black type - every time you bend one fatigue cracks will grow. They are in a sense consumables.

However they really should not break on first use and that is clearly a manufacturing defect assuming the instructions were followed to pitch the tent (i.e. they weren't bent outside of spec or used in very heavy winds without being guyed properly).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    You just met an overzealous sales person (seems odd, as generally staff in a huge store like that would have no incentive to be unhelpful)

I've always found them just fine so just going in the next day to see a different manager or emailing them via the website would probably get the result and be easier than contacting trading standards.
    No, it really should be reported, whether they eventually resolve it or not. Retailers must not be allowed to get away with even hinting that they will not comply with their obligations in law. As soon as it was necessary to argue about it, they have already failed.

(I understand they are at liberty to offer a repair, replacement or refund at their, not the customer's option. But being given a spare pole section to repair yourself is not a repair - a repair involves them putting the product into the condition it should have been in themselves, i.e. threading the new pole section for you - imagine if you took your brand new car back to the garage because the gearbox had failed and they just wheeled you out a replacement gearbox on a pallet and went "there you go" )

Thanks
    And a reply from go outdoors......

[Quote]
    Hello there, i'm afraid fibre glass poles are not covered by our tent guarantee as they should only break when put under too much pressure. If the poles were broken on purchase, then the store should be able to offer a refund.

We do stock pole sections that can be cut to fit to replace broken parts.[\quote]
    The only "pressure" they were put under was the normal pressure used to put the tents up with.
    The same amount of pressure that its used for the other tents

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Richard T;464529]And a reply from go outdoors......

Hello there, i'm afraid fibre glass poles are not covered by our tent guarantee as they should only break when put under too much pressure. If the poles were broken on purchase, then the store should be able to offer a refund.

We do stock pole sections that can be cut to fit to replace broken parts.[\quote]
    The only "pressure" they were put under was the normal pressure used to put the tents up with.
    The same amount of pressure that its used for the other tents
    I would send that to Trading Standards as it is clearly a policy which is a very clear breach of consumer law. It's entirely possible that a pole had a defect crack (rather than a fatigue crack) which only manifested itself at first pitching.

And for the first 6 months of ownership it is necessary in law for them to prove it was NOT a manufacturing defect, not for you to prove it was.

I wonder if JD are getting penny-pinching now they own them rather than it being a family business. Time for a new player in the market?

Thanks
    in other news, i would never again buy fibreglass poles for scouts and i doubt i would for me either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    in other news, i would never again buy fibreglass poles for scouts and i doubt i would for me either.
    I wouldn't rule them out, but it is important to understand that a Patrol Tent (or similar, e.g. BCT Troop Tents, bell tents, German Kohten/Jurten etc) is an investment for 30 years, while a nylon tent of pretty much any kind (unless you're dropping 500 quid on a Robens or the likes) is a consumable, which as an individual you'll probably get 10 years or so out of, but in a Scout Group you'll get somewhere between 3 and 5 years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I wouldn't rule them out, but it is important to understand that a Patrol Tent (or similar, e.g. BCT Troop Tents, bell tents, German Kohten/Jurten etc) is an investment for 30 years, while a nylon tent of pretty much any kind (unless you're dropping 500 quid on a Robens or the likes) is a consumable, which as an individual you'll probably get 10 years or so out of, but in a Scout Group you'll get somewhere between 3 and 5 years.
    my experience has always been 3 years max and you lose some after one seasopn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    my experience has always been 3 years max and you lose some after one seasopn
    Depends on the weather. I've lost a load on one very windy camp, but that doesn't happen every year, whereas a Patrol Tent pitched correctly will survive almost anything as the pegs are the weak points rather than the canvas or poles, so if it gets too bad it'll just blow down rather than sustain serious damage, or worst case you might need some restitching of eyelets.

That said, years ago I used some Patrol Tents with metal poles in high winds, and I'd take Go's cheapest nylon tat over that rubbish (several of them just snapped). Wood is the only option for Patrol tent poles.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, thinking on, re consumer law this doesn't apply to business to business transactions, so a Scout Group buying kit is purely down to the contract which probably does include no warranty on poles. I suspect this would also be true of what was a consumer sale but was purchased on behalf of a business and claimed back via expenses.

That said, still report it as it sounds like a general policy which for a B2C sale (i.e. conventional consumer retail) is a breach.