Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WSJ IST - Trying not to be cynical.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Well that's all been stopped now, as we can't be sure them foreign types aren't "dodgy".
    IN my example the Scout was hosted alone in a family which spoke no English, took him on a couple of trips, but on at least of couple of days left him to it, with little oversight from the UK organisation either. Less of that please...

Thanks
    I went to Sweden as IST and my son is travelling to the USA as I type.

Different approaches, I sorted my own travel and fund raised my fees, selling space in my car to carry large kit items for people. He took the travel package and used his MoD Bursary to fund his.

Both of us were delayed on the way out, the ferry for me hit a storm and his plane was late. I got to spend the delay sat in my car he got overnighted at Philadelphia A’s they missed the connecting flight, but they are being looked after and on connecting flights centrally.

In terms of cost, I think it is quite pricey for what it is, but then again for most it is a once in a lifetime experience.

I have no real desire to go again and I have always been upfront and said that.
    For me IST wasn’t scouting, I get that it was vital to the running of the camp, probably not in the numbers that were there.

In terms of the extra spaces it is far more likely that what happened each country got an allocation, which the UK filled, for Sweden they applied for extra spaces and selection was based on them getting them. Once each country has confirmed how many IST, then any spare spaces are offered to countries that indicated they could fill them and that is what the second round was about, why else would they allow those not selected to reapply?

I suspect each camp is different the feel may be similar but no one can have the same camp twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    For me IST wasn’t scouting, I get that it was vital to the running of the camp, probably not in the numbers that were there.
    Out of interest, could you expand on that?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Sorry, seem to only know unit leaders this time round, and they're not leaving until tomorrow.
    She got it back

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (19-07-2019),ianw (19-07-2019),richardnhunt (19-07-2019)

Thanks
    I find the price hard, if not impossible to justify for volunteers who will be helping to run a camp.
    But then again i find the whole pricing of the WSJ to be extremely high, do YP get more out of a national/local International camp abroad such as the Danish national camps/Haarlem Jamborette or any of the other camps taking place outside of the UK for a fraction of the price?

I would rather pour any fundraising time/organising time and effort etc into sending 12/16 or so Scouts from my local group to an international camp outside of the UK , than one explorer who may or may not be from the local group to a WSJ

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

dralphs (23-07-2019),richardnhunt (19-07-2019),RisingStar (23-07-2019)

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    I find the price hard, if not impossible to justify for volunteers who will be helping to run a camp.
    But then again i find the whole pricing of the WSJ to be extremely high, do YP get more out of a national/local International camp abroad such as the Danish national camps/Haarlem Jamborette or any of the other camps taking place outside of the UK for a fraction of the price?

I would rather pour any fundraising time/organising time and effort etc into sending 12/16 or so Scouts from my local group to an international camp outside of the UK , than one explorer who may or may not be from the local group to a WSJ
    We're off to Wings next year the first time we went in 2009 we paid for our Portuguese friends to come along*, were camped next to a troop from Egypt and were asked to take in a load of Kenyan scouts who drifted in during the week due to a snafu with their visas. The second time we had a group from Germany who'd used our HQ the previous year, had a couple of scots scouts playing the bagpipes on top of our gateway and met up with a group from Austria led by a former VSL from a previous group of mine! My view is events like these are fantastic value for money for giving kids an international experience.

* usual arrangement is they get themselves to Heathrow and we pay/arrange for everything from then on. Next year the opposite applies: we get ourselves to Lisbon and they pay/arrange for everything from there.
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

dralphs (23-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    She got it back
    Glad to hear that and sorry that I didn't see this earlier.

For info for anyone else who hears of problems a participant should start with their Unit Leader.

If they're not around or the YP is desperate they can go to the HQ tent to find the CMST, or of course us IST will try to help as best we can.

Thanks
    She got it back
    Glad to hear that and sorry that I didn't see this earlier.

For info for anyone else who hears of problems a participant should start with their Unit Leader.

If they're not around or the YP is desperate they can go to the HQ tent to find the CMST, or of course us IST will try to help as best we can.

Thanks
    Apparently they have had flash floods - lots of flooded tents.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,272 Posts
    That reminds me...

Dear Mom & Dad,

We are having a great time here at Camp CatchaCough. Our Scoutmaster is making us all write to our parents in case you saw the flood on TV and worried....etc etc...

Yeah, footage I've seen, lots of rain yesterday. Looked a lot better today.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    If it was good enogh for Sutton Colfield...

It's been a long time since i heard an old boy reminiscing about the 9th Jamboree but their big take away was the flooding, the trench digging etc.

Thanks
    Not so much flash floods as a lot of rain. Different places fared better or worse - eg the tent that I'm in was fine.

Most of the UK YP were putting their tents up in the rain yesterday.

Overall the drainage on the site is pretty good. They've made big efforts overnight and today with tons (literally) of aggregate being spread on the roads and loads of straw bales strewn on the ground.

Thanks
    What is the story about having to use disposable plates and cutlery because of a state law?

Thanks
    The Contingent Leader posted this in a Facebook thread by UK IST about disposable vs reusable stuff:

Rick Diles the BSA Scouter in charge of food at the WSJ gave me this response when I raised it with him back in March.

‘We ran a detailed analysis in 2012 on the net-expense of trash management vs composting vs water management for a short-term event in West Virginia, and currently the cost difference was significant with no governmental infrastructure available anytime soon in a VERY sparsely populated area.’
    ‘Gets reviewed every year’

- - - Updated - - -

There are notes on the water containers stating that West Virginia law prohibits the refilling of bottles etc. It doesn't give the rationale behind that, but the law is the law.

However, there are no police standing next to the water stations...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    The Contingent Leader posted this in a Facebook thread by UK IST about disposable vs reusable stuff:

Rick Diles the BSA Scouter in charge of food at the WSJ gave me this response when I raised it with him back in March.

‘We ran a detailed analysis in 2012 on the net-expense of trash management vs composting vs water management for a short-term event in West Virginia, and currently the cost difference was significant with no governmental infrastructure available anytime soon in a VERY sparsely populated area.’
    ‘Gets reviewed every year’

- - - Updated - - -

There are notes on the water containers stating that West Virginia law prohibits the refilling of bottles etc. It doesn't give the rationale behind that, but the law is the law.

However, there are no police standing next to the water stations...
    I know the contingent had a water bottle included in the kit and IST were advised to take a second, so shouldn’t be a need to refill a single use one.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group