Thread: Baby Back Carriers

Thanks

Baby Back Carriers

As some of you may have seen, I gave birth to a little girl at the beginning of the year.

We bought a really pretty carrier for ‘around town’ etc, but as we’re getting into camping season, we’re looking for a more ‘rugged’ back carrier.

We’ve looked on local groups/eBay etc but no one is selling any that don’t look ‘ruined’ and for her safety, I think I’d prefer to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best ones to go for? We’ve looked on the Go Outdoors website and have seen one or two, but it’d be helpful to hear anyone’s experiences with specific brands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,378 Posts
    I adore my osprey poco ag plus (the premium has an extra bag attached which i don't think is needed)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/osprey-...g-plus-p367656

i paid a lot less than this. here is how i did it.

1. get them to price match wiggle: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/osprey-poco...parison+Engine

but they do an extra 10% so that brings it down to 171... https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/price-guarantee

next. buy something really cheap. like a chocolate bar. and use your scout leader discount.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/online-...-leader-coupon

their systems take the 15% off the total, including the price matched stuff. (if you are buying a few things, it is way too complicated for them to work it out so they always nod it through... especially if you are nice and smiley)

so 171 comes down to £145

luke sleeps in it very happily. he can sit in it on the ground and eat snacks. the sun visor is brilliant and we've not really used the rain cover much but it works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQvjrtX7XkkLjYa6

we had it ready for when the baby bjorn was too small for him. he hated being on my back with the baby bjorn, that just did not work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    I adore my osprey poco ag plus (the premium has an extra bag attached which i don't think is needed)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/osprey-...g-plus-p367656

i paid a lot less than this. here is how i did it.

1. get them to price match wiggle: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/osprey-poco...parison+Engine

but they do an extra 10% so that brings it down to 171...

next. buy something really cheap. like a chocolate bar. and use your scout leader discount.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/online-...-leader-coupon

their systems take the 15% off the total, including the price matched stuff. (if you are buying a few things, it is way too complicated for them to work it out so they always nod it through... especially if you are nice and smiley)

so 171 comes down to £145

luke sleeps in it very happily. he can sit in it on the ground and eat snacks. the sun visor is brilliant and we've not really used the rain cover much but it works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQvjrtX7XkkLjYa6

we had it ready for when the baby bjorn was too small for him. he hated being on my back with the baby bjorn, that just did not work.
    Thank you for this, it’s actually the one Simon wanted but I’d told him it was too expensive!

We’re already buying a travel cot from GoOutdoors as we got quite a lot of vouchers, so this is really helpful

I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    Thank you for this, it’s actually the one Simon wanted but I’d told him it was too expensive!

We’re already buying a travel cot from GoOutdoors as we got quite a lot of vouchers, so this is really helpful

once you sling in nappies, wet wipes, snacks, water etc... it gets quite heavy so a decent system is worth it.

and don't think of it as only being for rugged outdoorsy stuff.

think of all the times you do stuff that is really busy (fairs, markets etc...) or just doing stuff that is not v buggy friendly like trips to national trust properties or old castles etc. Luke cries for first 10 secods sometimes but is always v happy in it afterwards. and falls fast asleep more than in a buggy!

he is nearly 2 and about 13kg and it will do another summer, i reckon. so break it down over time time you will have it, the amount you will use it and the plus of not having a bad back!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (27-02-2019),shiftypete (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    once you sling in nappies, wet wipes, snacks, water etc... it gets quite heavy so a decent system is worth it.

and don't think of it as only being for rugged outdoorsy stuff.

think of all the times you do stuff that is really busy (fairs, markets etc...) or just doing stuff that is not v buggy friendly like trips to national trust properties or old castles etc. Luke cries for first 10 secods sometimes but is always v happy in it afterwards. and falls fast asleep more than in a buggy!

he is nearly 2 and about 13kg and it will do another summer, i reckon. so break it down over time time you will have it, the amount you will use it and the plus of not having a bad back!
    That’s so helpful, we’re National Trust and English Heritage members so we spend time in places like that. Our Jools Oliver one will still be useful for when we’re in town etc but we want one of these for more out and about stuff

I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    by the way.. i treat the go outdoors price match like a competitive sport. They will match against almost any website and do not include p&p in their price.

You can save seriously massive amounts that way. Regatta is a particularly good one if buying kids stuff. the regatta website is always heavily discounted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    That’s so helpful, we’re National Trust and English Heritage members so we spend time in places like that. Our Jools Oliver one will still be useful for when we’re in town etc but we want one of these for more out and about stuff

oh, old people lose their shizzle when they see luke in it... they always think it is the cutest thing they've ever seen.

eddie langdown was sure i would get vomited all over with luke in there but we've avoided that so far... he's only done that on my head once and that was when i put him on my shoulders and i think probably bent him over a bit too much while running around and being silly.

Thanks
    25 years ago we bought a MacPac to carry around the new addition, it happily survived 4 children travelling around the world and lots of long haul flights. Don't know if they are still as good and no idea of the price but it was one of the best investments we made.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    My poor Dad infamously had to lug my little brother around in a papoose (sp?) until he was about 4 as he simply refused to walk any distance and cried if we tried to make him do so. Eventually on one family holiday we all just walked off and left him in the street and went and hid round the corner (where Dad could peek at him without him seeing) until he got bored of crying and walked to come and find us lol.

The papoose was an old meal frame thing which had already had me and my 2 older brother use it!

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    My poor Dad infamously had to lug my little brother around in a papoose (sp?) until he was about 4 as he simply refused to walk any distance and cried if we tried to make him do so. Eventually on one family holiday we all just walked off and left him in the street and went and hid round the corner (where Dad could peek at him without him seeing) until he got bored of crying and walked to come and find us lol.

The papoose was an old meal frame thing which had already had me and my 2 older brother use it!

ME: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vz85jRqrawSG2Tt68

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post

I tried similar things with my two boys when they were toddlers or slightly older. They did not give two hoots. They just did what they fancied doing a did not care that they had been abandoned/left to roam free.

At 18 months another mother and I did an experiment to see what happens if we did not chase after them. We were in a massive park with good vision. One boy ran one way and the other boy the other and they did not stop. When they were about 1/4 a mile away (1/2 from each other) we decided it was time to catch them. At the time she was six months pregnant and I was newly pregnant so it gave both of us nightmares about the future.

Thanks
    We had the one that my in laws had in Oz, it lasted really well, although faded from their sunshine. I carried Rupert up Snowden in it, using the sun cover to avoid the showers. He slept, all the way...
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    I used a Littlelife possible the S4 cross country with Sophie for hiking with the Scouts, I couldn’t tell you what it cost, but I borrowed it off my brother and he then had it back for his youngest, they do a lot more walking than I.

It had pockets for all the extra stuff and the sun shade and waterproof oxygen tent.

Lugging her round the lakes was fairly easy with the weight carried/distributed well.

I suppose at the end of the day I would go to go-outdoors and others and see which one best suits you or fits best, if Simon is going to be carrying Matilda the most then he should probably get more say...

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (17-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I suppose at the end of the day I would go to go-outdoors and others and see which one best suits you or fits best, if Simon is going to be carrying Matilda the most then he should probably get more say...

Sent using Tapatalk
    Does Simon actually have any say in it? Or will he just do as KerStee says?

Thanks
    We had a Karrimor one which was great. Something like this https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-papoose-796009

Thanks
    We had a really excellent Vango one, bought at a Campex show, which both my kids were happy with up until 3-4 years old. Unfortunately I don't think they do it anymore, but it was less pricey than all the one's I see these days.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire