Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chasing unpaid subs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Note that with Gift Aid (unless it's changed recently) you need a physical signature so just doing it via OSM's records isn't adequate.
    Pretty much anything goes with Gift Aid declarations, they can just say yes as long as we email them to confirm the conversation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-declarations

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Note that with Gift Aid (unless it's changed recently) you need a physical signature so just doing it via OSM's records isn't adequate.

i don't think that has ever been the case (cf. just giving etc) and is definitely not the case now.

3.6.8 HMRC does not produce an official form for Gift Aid declarations, so a charity can design its own. But the HMRC website contains a model Gift Aid declaration and it’s recommended that charities use the model adapted, as appropriate, to reflect the period of the intended Gift Aid donation(s).
    The notes at the foot of the declaration are purely explanatory and can be omitted if you wish.
    Many charities believe a signature makes an individual more committed to their charity. However, there’s no requirement for a declaration to contain a signature and so the ‘signature requirement’ can be removed if you wish.
    The declaration does not require a date but a date serves to identify the period covered by the Gift Aid declaration and where this is not otherwise clear from the terms of the declaration it’s necessary to include a request for a date.
    The charity must tell a donor of the tax implications of making a Gift Aid donation. The charity can choose to leave the tax explanation on their Gift Aid declaration or omit it. If it’s omitted then the charity must ensure that they clearly explain the donor’s tax requirement to their donors and are able to demonstrate to HMRC that they’ve done so.
    A statement that ‘I am a UK taxpayer’ is not sufficient to meet the charity’s requirement to advise a donor of the tax implications of making a Gift Aid donation. A full explanation is essential to protect the individual donor and the charity. If the donor has not paid enough tax to cover the tax deducted from their Gift Aid donation(s), HMRC may ask the donor to pay the difference in tax and donors must be made aware of this. If the explanation is insufficient the Gift Aid declaration will not be valid and the charity may need to repay tax to HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charities-detailed-guidance-notes/chapter-3-gift-aid

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (16-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,232 Posts
    I stand corrected - thanks both!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    This page says: Many charities believe a signature makes an individual more committed to their charity. However, there’s no requirement for a declaration to contain a signature and so the ‘signature requirement’ can be removed if you wish.

And further up the page says: Gift Aid declarations can be given in writing (including by email, fax, or text message) or orally (in person or by telephone). A declaration can cover a single donation or any number of donations.

it would therefore appear to me that a physical signature is not necessary and completion of the OSM gift aid declaration would be more that adequate to satisfy the requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops - big chris beat me to it (again!)
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.¯ Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    I had a similar (although not so serious) issue when I took over as GSL (and a new Chair).

First thing I did was to write a bad debt policy and got it agreed by the Exec. We then sent the policy to the whole group and told everyone that this was how it was going to be from now on.

Then we started chasing old debt by referencing the policy. This meant that it was not a personal issue - we were simply enacting a policy that the Exec had agreed.

It helps to take the sting out of some difficult conversations.

We use OSM for all subs now - we have 100% collection.

Once we decided that we had collect as much bad debt that we thought we could, we put it all in writing and formally wrote of the rest of the debt through the Exec.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    We recently had a parent owing 3 months subs who had literally not paid a penny and had also not paid for the investiture, so when we were investing the first batch of ones that joined us at the same time as that paren'ts child we didn't invest them, and they weren't invited like the other parents. One of them turned up towards the end of the investitures. The result was that we had full payments for everything due and the next months subs sorted and dropped off at the treasurers house by the deadline, so we invested their child the next week with the mop ups. The key was that they saw their child losing out - it seemed that they just hadn't got round to sorting out paying.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevS View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Leaders shouldn't have to chase subs, that can sit with us but I haven't had a treasurer for 3 years (we had two people offer early on and they both ran away when they saw the mess it was in when I first took over) so it's taken time to get to this audit. Sounds like OSM is going to be the best bet for us, although their DD system leaves a lot to be desired when you have a lot of sections. We do already have OSM set up for subs, but I'm not close enough to it to understand it fully. As a parent I have to authorise the DD every month to pay the subs, which seems really odd, I don't think it's set up right so it's on my list to review , then I'll move them all to OSM. I'll have another chat with the GSL and GC and OSM direct.
    Hi we have started using OSM for Subs, you can set it where it will automically take the subs payments off, once they have signed up to the direct debit

You require all payments, and permantly disable the Pay Now option for your Subs Schedue.

Works a treat, no chasing required, other that OSM's automated emails