Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is there no shortage of Leaders?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    I too seem to remember this and think the same person had a go at me for something I said.

I never got to the bottom of who it was, but they were either at or had a good insight into a County Meeting I was at so could narrow it down if they were there.
    I'm not going to name the individual I spoke to because I cannot prove my theory, but after I told him in conversation how I had tracked the email source to two local servers, the complaints stopped. Coincidence? Maybe...

I am not always a bull in a china shop
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I'm not going to name the individual I spoke to because I cannot prove my theory, but after I told him in conversation how I had tracked the email source to two local servers, the complaints stopped. Coincidence? Maybe...

I am not always a bull in a china shop
    No, I think you were probably right. Either that or they know who it was and told them to stop as they were getting the blame.

Thanks

There are limits to anonymity.
    I agree. Never believe that you are anonymous on the Internet, unless you really know what you are doing.

I can get from my username on eScouts to my real scout role in one search on Google.

Thanks
    I'm back in Vetting from last Monday, what are the odds of getting out alive and intact?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    I'm back in Vetting from last Monday, what are the odds of getting out alive and intact?
    A quiet word of advice.

Stop posting on this subject.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

bernwood (09-03-2019),big chris (09-03-2019),BigBadBaloo (09-03-2019),boballan (09-03-2019),dragonhhjh (09-03-2019),GScrimgeour (09-03-2019),RisingStar (09-03-2019),sjl14 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Listen to Ewan

A long time ago, in a District Far Far away I was in your position. However good a Leader you think you are the Scout Association is always bigger and stronger than the individual and generally would rather miss out on what you can bring to young people's lives than accept a leader who rocks the boat. If you want to be a leader and believe you have something to offer the young people (and from what's been posted I would suggest you have) then try humility, toe the line and remember most of us do it for the YP. If you are accepted and get given a Pack to run then in a year or so's time your actions will have vindicated you rather than forum posts. Good luck.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith at 2M For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (11-03-2019),richardnhunt (09-03-2019),RisingStar (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    A quiet word of advice.

Stop posting on this subject.
    Bernwood, I was using Facebook on this morning and on my news feed appeared a post under the heading "a recent post from one of your groups you may be interested in". I have never (to my knowledge) conversed with that person on Facebook and as far as I can remember have never posted in that group, either.

The post was made by a person who lives in Thame, Oxfordshire and was looking for groups in Buckinghamshire. Sound familiar?

From that person's profile I was able to find out an awful lot of information about them and their spouse (work history, education, holiday destinations, names (including maiden), photos and interests) even though I am not their "friend" and have no mutual friends with them either.

As I type, this thread has 65 replies but 3580 views.

I'm no betting man but would feel fairly confident in betting a hefty amount that I'm not the only person who would put 2+2 together. Imagine if one of those 3580 had an axe to grind or a bee in their bonnet about something.

Employers aren't the only institutions known to look people up online, especially people going through any kind of vetting/approval process.

Listen to Ewan. And sort your Facebook privacy settings out.
    James

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

bernwood (09-03-2019)

nele
    Thanks
    A number of our leaders came to us after a break in Scouting (often due to the move abroad). We are usually very happy to get someone with experience, whether in UK or other scout associations. Many have stayed, a few have found themselves too busy or whatever.. whether because genuinely too busy or they felt they didn't fit I really couldn't say. I haven't personally had experience of anyone coming in who we felt wouldn't be OK somewhere in the team, although its safe to say there are 'characters' everywhere.

Anyone moving to Brussels please get in touch!!

Leader's previous UK training and roles are available on Compass, but any break requires a new DBS etc. However if First aid was still up to date it should be a simple matter to re-validate that for the new role. It can also be shown as prior training so you only need to re-validate not retrain, depending on the gap and your TA's opinion. Sometimes its wise to redo modules as things change.

Tip: if you are moving away from your current area and plan to join a new group as soon as you're settled, ask your old group to keep open the role for a couple of months- it makes things smoother

I have never asked a person's previous DC for a reference- but some people have given an ex team member/GSL as one of their referees.

In Bernwoods case I'd suggest he give the DC's contact details, explains he never actually met the man and there were problems, give someone else he knows eg GSL or other leader/exec member from his ex group as a second opinion.

I think other's advice to stop posting conflicts here or on Fbook is spot on.

If Gilwell have been told someone is unsatisfactory I imagine they ask for details.. and these can then be discussed before appointing someone elsewhere.