Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there no shortage of Leaders?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    I've heard of this sort of thing happening in many parts of the country and typically it's because of one of two things.

1. Failure to keep websites etc up to date. Be it group, district, county etc. So you email someone and it goes to a defunct mailbox and never gets seen again. Such problems are relatively easy to fix but infuriating nonetheless.
    You have no idea how real that is.

How about five years down the line, in some places, I am still the GSL at the group I left five years ago!!!!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    We all have had approaches from people who "didn't fit", ignoring their approch is not the answer. I've taken on Leaders who turned out to be the "wrong fit", they usually do a short stint and then depart never to be seen again, or perhaps move to another group - I've had kids do that too, that's fine. But to ignore an approach is not fine.

I'd challenge your definition of "very rural" - you are closer to Musslburgh or Haddington than I am to Huddersfield, Wakefield or Barnsley. I suspect that your locale is a little more isolated in that your neighbouring villages are not "linked" in the same way as ours are. I also get that your "District" appears to be somewhat "distant". But still, we don't ignore approaches to help.

Most such approaches often come to nothing. The joining process tends to sort out most that don't fit. Either that or the group ethos will not fit with them and they don't stay.
    As I said, its poor form not to acknowledge an offer of help, or any communication from interested people. You need to speak to people in order to ascertain whether or not they'd be a good fit. For what it's worth, if I'm not sure about a person then I'll try them out. But usually, you would do some due diligence anyway before accepting them into the fold. And, we'd tell any prospective candidates that in advance, if they're horribly offended by it, then they're probably not going to be a good fit.

*Edit. At the rate they're building new housing estates, we'll all be joined up here too. Musselburgh is moving ever closer to Tranent, you can throw a stone now from Wallyford and hit Musselburgh...
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 23-02-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    How about five years down the line, in some places, I am still the GSL at the group I left five years ago!!!!
    5 years! Wow time flies

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

sjl14 (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Just been contacted by a group - someones out there! Arranged to go and see them Friday, the leader is stepping down at the end of summer, so by September I could have my own pack, all going well (theres still Gilwell who could sink me into a dark hole - but I'll deal with that when it comes) Also I have to do all the modules, safeguarding, 1st Aid, and Nights Away modules before September - Busy times indeed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bernwood For This Useful Post:

dralphs (27-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Just been contacted by a group - someones out there! Arranged to go and see them Friday, the leader is stepping down at the end of summer, so by September I could have my own pack, all going well (theres still Gilwell who could sink me into a dark hole - but I'll deal with that when it comes) Also I have to do all the modules, safeguarding, 1st Aid, and Nights Away modules before September - Busy times indeed.
    You are a woodbadge holder with recent experience in the same Section so your training requirements should be pretty much zero and just modules validated on prior experience.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 24-02-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    From my understanding, if someone leaves/has their apointment closed then thats that, if they re-start then they are seen as completly fresh.
    If thats the case then there should be some retention system, where DBS/First Aid/Safeguarding/activity permits such nights away etc etc continue for 'dormant' leaders, so that if they re-start then there should be minimal if any training required.
    As for duff email addresses etc, its partially understandable when you have a volunteer organisation that people will move/move on websites may have been set up in a flury of excitement and then the interest wanes, emails can vanish in a sea of spam and so on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    You are a woodbadge holder with recent experience in the same Section so your training requirements should be pretty much zero and just modules validated on prior experience.
    You'd have thought that. They should in theory be able to retrieve his training record from his previous cancelled role / membership record.

He should not need to do any more training apart from validations and any compulsory ongoing learning such as first aid, safeguarding, etc.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    I have to do all the modules, safeguarding, 1st Aid, and Nights Away modules before September - Busy times indeed.
    Erm why?

If they are restarting your membership from scratch then surely you have the usual 5 months to do the getting started and 3 years to complete the rest? Why on Earth would they be making you do *all* the training in just 6 months?

Of course the bigger question is why you're going anywhere near TSA again after your history, but whatever floats your boat I guess!
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Erm why?

If they are restarting your membership from scratch then surely you have the usual 5 months to do the getting started and 3 years to complete the rest? Why on Earth would they be making you do *all* the training in just 6 months?

Of course the bigger question is why you're going anywhere near TSA again after your history, but whatever floats your boat I guess!

The six months is my decision as I will be running the cub pack in September and want to take them camping before the end of the year ( although that maybe possible if someone else has NA) But I will need safeguarding and 1st response - the rest of the modules are fairly easy.
    The reason I'm giving TSA another chance, is because it wasn't the the people at the frontline that ruined me it was the upstarts in their ivory towers. Also the bushcraft group I joined has practically closed since december as they lost the lease on their woodland, and there is no other youth groups in my area - Im in the countryside and even scout groups are thin on the ground - It's another district so maybe just maybe they are a bit more pragmatic - here's hoping - Ive still got the nagging feeling will just file my application in the bin despite their platitudes over the phone.

Thanks
    Ive still got the nagging feeling will just file my application in the bin despite their platitudes over the phone.
    Unfortunately I fear you are correct as i fear your prevous DC has put you on the blacklist however ridiculous that is for having the temerity to want to move to be a CSL again.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (25-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Unfortunately I fear you are correct as i fear your prevous DC has put you on the blacklist however ridiculous that is for having the temerity to want to move to be a CSL again.
    Time will tell, the power that these gods in their ivory towers have is truly scary - I never met or passed a word with the man, but he seems to have more presence than Darth Vader himself!

Thanks
    Seems a slightly odd thing to want 'to have your own cub pack soon', I've been doing it for 15 years and I'd never consider taking over a section without first meeting and working with all the existing leaders over a period of time and making sure I had the necessary support.

If I'd had an enquiry from someone with a bizarre scouting history and no link to the group either as a parent or an ex-scout I'd be suspicious. Surely just start as a helper and see how you fit the group first?

I wish you all the best with your new venture, bluntly your previous and new stories never seemed to quite add up and just had a hint of attention seeking about them so I really hope you're able to prove me completely wrong and your new scouting venture will be a success.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr_Pepper For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (26-02-2019),BigBadBaloo (25-02-2019),dragonhhjh (25-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quick Update - The new appointments panel wants a reference from the dark lord himself - the DC who terminated me - I can see this going pear shaped! Any one know of a hitman going cheap

Thanks
    Quick Update - The new appointments panel wants a reference from the dark lord himself - the DC who terminated me - I can see this going pear shaped! Any one know of a hitman going cheap
    I am intrigued, as far as I am aware you get to nominate who your referees are not the appointments committee. Obviously there is nothing to stop them contacting the DC directly regardless.

I think I would be tempted to say you do not want your former DC as a referee and explain that you feel you were previously forced out of Scouting by said DC simply because you expressed an interest in taking on a CSL role. Better to get your side of the story in first IMHO.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-02-2019)

Thanks
    I am sorry to say that this sounds very much as if it is not going to end well!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)