Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper geodesic domes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,250 Posts

Paper geodesic domes

I've been a little fascinated with geodesic domes for a while. I've had instructions printed out for ages, but the other week decided to inflict one on the Explorers. If you search on that interweb, there's loads of info out there.

I think my instructions were here

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/...odesic_ho.html

Also used this to work out the lengths, and a plan of the construction...

http://www.desertdomes.com/dome2calc.html

We used wide masking tape and probably about 30m of lining paper. We made the short length of strut the same length as the width of the lining paper, so you only have to measure the long struts.

Took six Explorers and the leaders about an hour to make. It kept looking like it wouldn't work, and then it did.

Now want to build a big one we could string hammocks across or something.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (19-11-2015),khoomei (02-02-2015),London Scouter (26-01-2017),Matt Styles (02-02-2015),oneiros (19-11-2015),RisingStar (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Throw some tarp over it, peg it down, and you'll be giving Terra Nova a run for their money

Does look cool though and something different from the old balancing an egg game!
    Code:
    while onCamp == True: 
        if fireHeat < 0.4 then:
             pokeFire()

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Styles For This Useful Post:

ianw (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Nice one Ian - Looks good
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Oh, and we left it right there in the middle of the hall for the cubs to find the next day*.

Cub leader reports that the first cubs that turned up saw it, but by the time the last cubs turned up, it was no more.

* We do get on well with the cub leader, honestly!
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,588 Posts
    Aw heck... Now I've got to go and find supplies....

Bulk order of plastic waste pipe looks like a requirement! I reckon that plastic waste pipe would probably be rigid enough to withstand the weather.

40 lengths of 2.4 metre pipe, 40 coachbolts, 80 washers and 40 butterfly nuts, plus a couple of tarpaulins... sounds like a plan... I think they would be fighting to sleep in it.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    We used wide masking tape and probably about 30m of lining paper. We made the short length of strut the same length as the width of the lining paper, so you only have to measure the long struts.
    I am confused what long stuts? Surely its made up of equilateral triangles so all struts are the same length?

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I reckon PVC pipe and a good thick polythene coating and you'd have yourself a nice sturdy coracle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Aw heck... Now I've got to go and find supplies....
    The trick, I think, or the stumbling block, is the joining them together.

A quick googleywoogley points me here
    http://www.domerama.com/dome-basics/...ub-connectors/

Which led me here:
    http://geoffmaritz.blogspot.ca/2012/...ica-burns.html

Could be a possible. Except I've never seen fence post caps like that.

Also:
    http://domemade.co.uk/the-hub-system/

If you get sucked into this, remember I made a 2v dome, rather than a 3v dome.

What I really can't get my head round, is if you made one that was, say, 5m diameter, and maybe out of metal or wooden struts, would it be strong enough to hang hammocks off, and how many explorers could hammock in it at once?

Ian

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I am confused what long stuts? Surely its made up of equilateral triangles so all struts are the same length?
    No, there are some, but definitely two sizes of strut.

It's really pentagons split into triangles.

http://www.domerama.com/calculators/2v-geodesic-dome-calculator/2v-assembly-diagram/

and also this:

http://www.domerama.com/calculators/2v-geodesic-dome-calculator/

Seems I've set a few Monday morning minds whirring!

Now, I know someone who does metal fabrication, and also someone who makes yurts. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    I think that Plan A is to hat and flatten the ends of the pipes and simply bolt through...

The hub packs are all rather expensive. Though I do have an idea using recycled car tyres - they are a sod to cut though. A disc cut from a tyre could then be drilled and would ceat a flexible joint that was virtually indestructable.

And yes, I am thinking what you are thinking.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks

Still just paper and masking tape, just twice as big as last time. And as we were at the campsite, seemed rude not to burn it afterwards.
    Ian Wilkins

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

oneiros (19-11-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Still just paper and masking tape, just twice as big as last time. And as we were at the campsite, seemed rude not to burn it afterwards.
    Dash and blast you Wilkins... I had forgotten about this and you have just revived the idea... Off down to the craft shop to get some pipecleaners and staws to make the prototype model.

If we make it big enough it could be the Death Star.... an idea formulates....
    Ewan Scott

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

ianw (19-11-2015),richardnhunt (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Dash and blast you Wilkins... I had forgotten about this and you have just revived the idea... Off down to the craft shop to get some pipecleaners and staws to make the prototype model.

If we make it big enough it could be the Death Star.... an idea formulates....
    If you happen to make it the same size as a standard round parachute...bingo, instant cover!

In the back of my mind, nuzzling away, is making one big enough, not out of paper, but wood and metal, big enough to hang hammocks across the inside. In my head I'm thinking you'd need to do it from the first level, and hang the hammocks from the joints, rather than along the struts, so the struts are in compression, and not being "pulled" from the middle. Then again, if you made the struts out of something solid enough, like scaff poles, it wouldn't be a problem. My head can't quite get round working out how big a dome you would need in order to string a load of hammocks off it. Something about chords and arcs and stuff, but my o level maths won't cut it.

Oh, and http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html is your new favourite website.

And no connection, never tried them, but http://domemade.co.uk/

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    I'm thinking, that it has to be a great team exercise, but it takes a lot of time to set up, even if you have all the compoments to hand, so, in a way, making it has to be the purpose. A bit like building a pioneering structure. The fun is in building it rather than using it.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    I'm thinking, that it has to be a great team exercise, but it takes a lot of time to set up, even if you have all the compoments to hand, so, in a way, making it has to be the purpose. A bit like building a pioneering structure. The fun is in building it rather than using it.
    This is also true, it looks wonk, it looks wonk when you start, it looks wonk as you build it, "I really didn't think that was going to ever work Ian", then as you get up to the second level, it forces itself to sort itself out, if that makes sense, trying to line up the bits forces all the angles more or less correct. It's then putting the last five at the top that finally gives it structural strength. As we found out when we torched it at the end, it only takes a few of the joints to burn through before the whole thing collapses again.

And yes, even the paper version takes a bit of command and control, rolled up paper is still a sword/lightsaber for explorer scouts. There's a division of labour required, we had a "long strut" team, and a "short strut" team, within each team, we started with two on measuring and cutting, and 2 on rolling (and 2 on tea making), once all the paper was cut, then it was all hands to rolling, even had one person just ripping off lengths of masking tape for the rollers.

Then the two teams came together for the build, though not all hands were necessarily occupied the whole time, which can be an issue. 8 explorers, and 4 leaders who were more hands than maybe they should have been, but we like to muck in together.

Oh, and this probably used 100m of 50mm wide masking tape, maybe more, better to have 4 x 25m than 2 x 50m for the build stage, as they tend to wrap it on straight off the roll, rather than tearing bits off. I was getting a bit twitchy near the end, thinking we might run out*. And two B&Q** Value 40m lining rolls @ 8 a roll, that's with struts of 100 cm and 113 cm.

* Though some got used in a few "larks", so your mileage may vary.
    ** Other lining roll suppliers are available, screwfix would have been cheaper for the rolls and tape, but I had to go to B&Q for some fire buckets, and didn't have time to go to both.

Also discovered paraffin and meths are immiscible, and washing up cloths soaked in the mixture are way more inflammable than lining paper wiped with said soaked cloths.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Bamboo garden canes cut to lengths (no, not equilateral triangles), eyes screwed and glued, connected together with tie wraps, cover with polythene dustsheet and voila mini Eden project. Used for our "trip to Mars" camp a few years ago.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark W For This Useful Post:

ianw (19-11-2015)