Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confirming scouty info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 794 Posts
    Hmmm...

I'm normally okay with this stuff, but I think I'm being led astray (somewhat) by the 'To' field, where all the parent's email addresses are going into. I'm now assuming, even although that's happening, it's still treating them as separate emails and sending them one at a time (so to speak). Otherwise, the personalisation wouldn't work. (which would also answer the BCC question - ie. that they are going out BCC (effectively).

The only person-specific thing in the email is the invitation link to the portal, presumably, that needs to be specific to the member/email address to which it's being sent? Hence the emails going out one at a time, not as a 'To' or 'CC' to all?

I wonder what would happen if the parent tried to set up log in credentials on the parent portal using a different email address? I mean I say that, but I don't care, as long as they can log in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Hmmm...

I'm normally okay with this stuff, but I think I'm being led astray (somewhat) by the 'To' field, where all the parent's email addresses are going into. I'm now assuming, even although that's happening, it's still treating them as separate emails and sending them one at a time (so to speak). Otherwise, the personalisation wouldn't work. (which would also answer the BCC question - ie. that they are going out BCC (effectively).

The only person-specific thing in the email is the invitation link to the portal, presumably, that needs to be specific to the member/email address to which it's being sent? Hence the emails going out one at a time, not as a 'To' or 'CC' to all?

I wonder what would happen if the parent tried to set up log in credentials on the parent portal using a different email address? I mean I say that, but I don't care, as long as they can log in.

the link is not personal to the email address, it is personal to the child. they could sign up as any address once they clicked on the link.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    the link is not personal to the email address, it is personal to the child. they could sign up as any address once they clicked on the link.
    Thanks.

I've sent it to the parents of members who volunteer (leaders and committee members), first. I'll get some feedback, then roll it out to the rest. After that, it'll need rolled out to other sections.

We were going to get someone in to do this (someone had offered), but I'm glad I took the time to get to grips with it first.

Next step (digressing slightly), TSB no longer do dual authority treasurer accounts, so it's CAF bank for us. Application form is 71 pages long, but includes the T&C's. Still a fair bit to fill out and rather a lot of supporting paperwork required. Our big question was about paying cash/cheques in. CAF Bank have an arrangement with RBS, which suits us. Obvs 99% of transactions will be electronic (which is the point of switching), but we needed a way of paying cash in from the fundraising stuff we do.

Next step after that is to get subs switched over to OSM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Alfbranch (17-03-2019)

Thanks
    We add an extra column to the Event for the parents to complete on sign-up headed 'OSM updated'. It doesn't guarantee that they actually have of course but if it boiled down to legal action we'd be covered. At times it seems scouting is becomming too much like the day job where covering our backs is actually the most important issue rather than the real reason for keeping personal data up to date.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith at 2M For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (17-03-2019)

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I've sent it to the parents of members who volunteer (leaders and committee members), first. I'll get some feedback, then roll it out to the rest. After that, it'll need rolled out to other sections.

We were going to get someone in to do this (someone had offered), but I'm glad I took the time to get to grips with it first.

Next step (digressing slightly), TSB no longer do dual authority treasurer accounts, so it's CAF bank for us. Application form is 71 pages long, but includes the T&C's. Still a fair bit to fill out and rather a lot of supporting paperwork required. Our big question was about paying cash/cheques in. CAF Bank have an arrangement with RBS, which suits us. Obvs 99% of transactions will be electronic (which is the point of switching), but we needed a way of paying cash in from the fundraising stuff we do.

Next step after that is to get subs switched over to OSM.
    I am glad I read this as CAF bank may be what we are looking for in my group

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfbranch For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (17-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Next step (digressing slightly), TSB no longer do dual authority treasurer accounts,
    Really? Its less than a year since we opened 4 such accounts for our Group with TSB, are you sure you haven't just been fobbed off?

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Really? Its less than a year since we opened 4 such accounts for our Group with TSB, are you sure you haven't just been fobbed off?
    TSB are not opening any new ones at the moment

https://www.tsb.co.uk/business/accou...surer-account/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I've been on the phone to them twice. Apparently it's linked to the IT problems they had, so I think that may have happened just after you opened your accounts.

When I first phoned them (maybe aug/sept of last year), they couldn't even say if or when they might restart opening these accounts. At the time, they weren't opening any business accounts. When I phoned them last week, they said they were no longer doing dual authorisation accounts but were opening business accounts.

Thanks
    Lloyd's still do treasurers accounts.

The old TSB one was actually the Lloyd's one from pre spilt, when they seperated their systems they stopped offering it for now.

Lloyd's treasures account is much cheaper than CAF (practically free) and much easier to deal with cash etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    Lloyd's still do treasurers accounts.

The old TSB one was actually the Lloyd's one from pre spilt, when they seperated their systems they stopped offering it for now.

Lloyd's treasures account is much cheaper than CAF (practically free) and much easier to deal with cash etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I can't remember why we discounted Lloyds... I think it was because there are no branches in Scotland... Although I think you can deposit cash (big thing for us) at BoS or RBS branches, but I couldn't confirm that.

Hence CAF bank.