Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confirming scouty info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 848 Posts

Confirming scouty info.

We have a camp coming up, for which, we need to confirm we have correct details for kids - who are all going (bar one). It means it's a good opportunity to get records up to date.

We have (I reckon) 95% of details already accurate on OSM, we'd probably need to confirm email addresses and contact numbers (if different) for while we're away. We could also do with confirming CHI numbers because those weren't always asked for, I don't think surgery details are quite as important these days.

So, I could fire out a BBC'd email as usual, or I could do a Google form (maybe? That was going to be my question...) Or, I could use this opportunity to get the MyScout thingy up and going.

How easy/complicated would that be though? We're moving to electronic subs anyway, or certainly plan to this year - once we've swapped accounts...

Any views appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,423 Posts
    "We have (I reckon) 95% of details already accurate on OSM, "

why not ask them to check OSM?

keeping it all in one place makes sense to me.

I used ot use google forms that i imported into a databse programme to display as record cards but that is a bit nuts.

OSM allowed me to print off a record card per child and keep those in an A4 folder each camp.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (05-03-2019),shiftypete (05-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We have a camp coming up, for which, we need to confirm we have correct details for kids - who are all going (bar one). It means it's a good opportunity to get records up to date.

We have (I reckon) 95% of details already accurate on OSM, we'd probably need to confirm email addresses and contact numbers (if different) for while we're away. We could also do with confirming CHI numbers because those weren't always asked for, I don't think surgery details are quite as important these days.

So, I could fire out a BBC'd email as usual, or I could do a Google form (maybe? That was going to be my question...) Or, I could use this opportunity to get the MyScout thingy up and going.

How easy/complicated would that be though? We're moving to electronic subs anyway, or certainly plan to this year - once we've swapped accounts...
    You have OSM 95% up to date and you're thinking about something else? What is it not giving you that you need? It's got emergency contacts (as opposed to parent contacts). If you want to collect NHS numbers, add another column for it*. Need to know if they can swim? There's a column for it. Ping the email out and say "we're particularly wanting NHS numbers clicky here..."

* Add additional columns over and above what OSM provides helpfully isn't in settings, but on the personal details. That's what we do for NHS number, they added a load more standard fields fairly recently, like swimming and date of last tetanus, as well as add sorts of wacky consent fields.

Of course, I'm on Gold+, so I'm not sure what I'm seeing is what you'll see.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (05-03-2019),shiftypete (05-03-2019)

Thanks
    Yup yup yup.

Turns out OSM is quite easy to use. Created a test child, (I've always wanted one). Sent myself an invite... I thought it would be more complicated.

Sent an invite to the Beaver Leader who has one in scouts and one in explorers (a YL anyway) - not sure they're set up as siblings...

Just getting the configuration right...

As you say, OSM makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Also on Gold + here.

Funnily enough, I'd already added in the extra columns I needed - CHI number etc. I used OSM for Explorer stuff, but similar to Big Chris, used a different method to collect the data.

The portal is quite straightforward to use. My boy is doing really well, no badges though, which is a bit disappointing - and I think he's being bullied because his name is Test.

My bad.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (05-03-2019)

Thanks

The portal is quite straightforward to use. My boy is doing really well, no badges though, which is a bit disappointing - and I think he's being bullied because his name is Test.

My bad.

and his surname is Icicles which makes it worse

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Alfbranch (17-03-2019),scoutgamer (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    and his surname is Icicles which makes it worse
    It's my partner's surname - I was trying to be a modern man.

* Imaginary partner... Ummm...

Thanks
    What you do need is to know that parents have checked OSM, and not just left a three-year-old phone number in there. So, just as I wouldn't take a Scout to camp without a "health" form previously, I now won't take a Scout whose OSM record's Last Updated field doesn't tell me that a parent updated it (even with no actual changes) in the last two weeks (say) before the camp.

Makes it easy to generate something for the home contact (if applicable). The hard thing is persuading parents that they can't be emergency contacts as well!
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    There is now functionality to link to the details from an email prior to camp and you can check who has/hasn't stated they have checked. There was a video....
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Why not go old school and ask for contact details on the confirmation letter for camp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    What you do need is to know that parents have checked OSM, and not just left a three-year-old phone number in there. So, just as I wouldn't take a Scout to camp without a "health" form previously, I now won't take a Scout whose OSM record's Last Updated field doesn't tell me that a parent updated it (even with no actual changes) in the last two weeks (say) before the camp.

Makes it easy to generate something for the home contact (if applicable). The hard thing is persuading parents that they can't be emergency contacts as well!
    Yup.

I saw that functionality, and since we collect and input data as and when kids join - usually way back at Beavers - we'd obviously need to update OSM in any case.

Emergency contact info may change from camp to camp anyway, I think there's only so much you can do with that. I'd request that they update it (will do during this process), but make it clear if they don't, then I'll be treating whatever contact info I have as emergency contact info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Why not go old school and ask for contact details on the confirmation letter for camp.
    I haven't sent letters out for years. Parents get an email with all the info, and that's pretty much it.

If they want it on a bit of paper they can print it out themselves.

Thanks
    OSM...

If you're sending an invitation to join the parent portal, does it go out BCC?

I know, I could email OSM, but it's quiet here... Some one might know?

ta.

Thanks
    OSM...

If you're sending an invitation to join the parent portal, does it go out BCC?

I know, I could email OSM, but it's quiet here... Some one might know?
    Event invites look like they are sent directly, i.e. it has my address in the To field, rather than it being addressed to someone else. I'd be amazed if the parent portal invites did it a different way.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Event invites look like they are sent directly, i.e. it has my address in the To field, rather than it being addressed to someone else. I'd be amazed if the parent portal invites did it a different way.
    I've set up the parent portal (I mean I say I have...) And I've primed parents to expect an email from OSM that may go in to a spam folder, so to keep an eye out.

I've selected all my scouts in the details page, clicked the email button, selected the template for 'invite to parent portal' (which I've also finagled a bit).

But all the parent's email addresses are going into a 'To' field... The 'from' field has my personal address, I'll need to change that... I can't find any thing about BCC settings... You'd think it would...

Wouldn't you?

Thanks
    it sends them separately.

that is how the personalisation can work. and the clickable links are personalised too.

it means you can make it say "[FIRSTNAME]" by using special content when sending a message

"don't forget that [FIRSTNAME] needs to bring a jacket on friday"

this means it is much less likely to end up in spam... each child gets a message to their parents' addresses. (and theirs if you have child addresses in there)

Thanks
    But all the parent's email addresses are going into a 'To' field...
    It has just my address as a parent in the "to" field, not all the parents addresses in the the To field.

The 'from' field has my personal address, I'll need to change that... I can't find any thing about BCC settings... You'd think it would...

Wouldn't you?
    I created a user as the generic email address we use and log in as that, but there is a setting for who the emails are sent from, hang on...

Settings (bottom left) -> Parent Portal Settings -> Emails

You can change who emails are sent from for "automated emails" (event invites I assume).

If you are sending out an email from personal details, there's a little edit thing under the "To" near the top that lets you change the From address.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins