Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital: You nerds might be interested

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    The search working better is a good thing. That they've started with the low hanging fruit is a good thing.
    Indeed. So they realised last June what the rest of us knew for years anyway: that using Google was more effective than their old search. That probably took them a few hours to implement. That fruit was incredibly low hanging.

That the front page you hit now has direct links for us volunteers to the things we most look at is a good thing.
    I seem to remember they fully admitted this was a proof-of-concept / stopgap for the new brand. But that's been there nearly 10 months now.

Their speed of progress here is fascinating to me.
    I'm doubting the the new site will be doing anything particularly bleeding edge (if it went back to cleanly achieving some things that Scoutbase did quite well a long time ago that would tick a lot of boxes). It'll be interesting how the inevitable fanfare differs from the 2012 announcement.

Yet reading their (heavily moderated) blog makes it sound like they're in a perpetual round of research, meetings and gathering feedback. Which is all lovely. And I'm glad they're not making rash decisions, after previous problems.
    But I wonder how much they're learning that wasn't obvious? And how close to delivering anything working they are?
    I get that IT architecture is important. But some architects gold-plate things which isn't always needed.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed that this bunch of IT people stick around for a few years and don't have to try and ram the iceberg of intransigent HQ committees.
    Those same committees that have already given us the never-ending drift of Project Dixie and other promises? At least one senior IT manager seems to have been-and-gone with nothing to show for it.

I'm very aware of some of the baggage they're working with, but with an apparently full-time team, after all this time, my expectations are becoming sky high. I really hope someone who knows what they're doing is managing this.
    Maybe all will become clear on the call.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itchen For This Useful Post:

Kastor (08-03-2019),khoomei (14-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Here's the webinar for your delectation, just in case you were busy looking after young people or something equally odd.

https://digital.scouts.org.uk/watch-...cture-webinar/

I glossed through it but it looked too much like work so...only thing I picked up was they seem to want to make a programme planning tool, as well as making the website better.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itchen View Post
    I'm very aware of some of the baggage they're working with, but with an apparently full-time team, after all this time, my expectations are becoming sky high. I really hope someone who knows what they're doing is managing this.
    Maybe all will become clear on the call.
    Was this the team that decided that, instead of rolling out Compass county by county (which was the original plan), they'd insist on the entire country doing the census on it, relatively untested and ended up with a system which crashed and stalled, refused to let people long in and was unuseable, and then tried to claim that they'd suspended roll out for security reasons (ha ha)...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Was this the team that decided that, instead of rolling out Compass county by county (which was the original plan), they'd insist on the entire country doing the census on it, relatively untested and ended up with a system which crashed and stalled, refused to let people long in and was unuseable, and then tried to claim that they'd suspended roll out for security reasons (ha ha)...
    Compass had been tested extensively in many counties and was a great success. Leaders found it useful and were happy to be quoted saying so. Wayne assured us for months that we were probably doing it wrong because it was such a success and had been so well tested.

i'm not sure where you get this story that it was not a success from. compass had been making leaders' lives easier months and months before the rest of us saw it and they all thought it was brilliant.

silly risingstar...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (14-03-2019),shiftypete (15-03-2019)

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Leaders found it useful and were happy to be quoted saying so. Wayne assured us for months that we were probably doing it wrong because it was such a success and had been so well tested.
    Still looking forward to seeing the full post Compass Implementation report to learn how they did it so well!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itchen For This Useful Post:

big chris (14-03-2019),shiftypete (15-03-2019)

Thanks
    I hope that their software is more reliable than the hosts' audio connection...

Thanks
    Please someone make compass an adaptive site. Then we can at least try to get something off it on a smartphone. Having to wait until I can get to a laptop to chase someone's details is a nuisance.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Possibly one of the worst presentations I have watched in some times... but some interesting, if not very early stage information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Please someone make compass an adaptive site. Then we can at least try to get something off it on a smartphone. Having to wait until I can get to a laptop to chase someone's details is a nuisance.
    Something they did make clear was that they wouldn't be doing any retrospective work on this for existing services, but this would be considered on new work they'd be developing.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Actually, that last bit is true. I emailed Gilwell with full details of how the entire membership record could be downloaded by virtually anyone, and I believe others did as well. Compass was shut down very shortly afterwards. The problem was that security was implemented in the browser, which is easily bypassed because it's on your own computer, rather than the backend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo62 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (15-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo62 View Post
    Actually, that last bit is true. I emailed Gilwell with full details of how the entire membership record could be downloaded by virtually anyone, and I believe others did as well. Compass was shut down very shortly afterwards. The problem was that security was implemented in the browser, which is easily bypassed because it's on your own computer, rather than the backend.
    I'm sure it was true, but a very lucky coincidence. In this county there was somewhere around 60% compliance only when it closed, and some districts at only 30% and that was a month after the first census date. And a passive disobedience growing in momentum - " It is unuseable, I won't try again, so go ahead sack me then".

Thanks
    Quite apart from all of that, there absolutely were major security issues. In particular, I had what seemed to be full access to absolutely everything the first time that I logged in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    You could call into your group anybody if you knew their surname and postcode. That included celebrities... Some of whose addresses were bleeding obvious. (or might have been gilwell's postcode, I forget. ) But I was one click away from access to some VIPs details.

NB. I did not call up their details. But it was a click away and I reported it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk