Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An idea for leader recruitment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,232 Posts
    But the issue isn't you as a person getting in touch with someone you remember - personal use is totally exempt from GDPR. The issue is using Group held photos to carry out marketing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (13-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    But the issue isn't you as a person getting in touch with someone you remember - personal use is totally exempt from GDPR. The issue is using Group held photos to carry out marketing.
    I suppose that would depend in what capacity the OP a) kept the photos and b) was contacting the people in them.

And I think that is pretty much exactly the issue. The OP is getting in touch with people he remembers, he's not relying on any files he or the group kept. Not sure what GDPR says about photos that have no notes attached to them or even if after time has passed, at what point you have to delete photos that don't identify anyone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I suppose that would depend in what capacity the OP a) kept the photos and b) was contacting the people in them.

And I think that is pretty much exactly the issue. The OP is getting in touch with people he remembers, he's not relying on any files he or the group kept. Not sure what GDPR says about photos that have no notes attached to them or even if after time has passed, at what point you have to delete photos that don't identify anyone.
    Photos are not under GDPR if they cannot be used alone to identify anyone - so, for instance, having them on OSM against the users makes them personal data. In this case using them to identify someone proves them to be personal data.

It is all a bit de-minimis, but there is certainly a view in some people that they like to use GDPR to be awkward, e.g. by requesting Subject Access Requests purely for vexatious purposes, i.e. to cost the company money. If someone you're contacting has had some sort of bad experience in Scouting, don't rule out them making a report of misuse for this kind of means. So I would be cautious.

If they are your personal photographs, then GDPR is not relevant at all, until you use them for the purposes of the Group.

Thanks
    Photos are not under GDPR if they cannot be used alone to identify anyone - so, for instance, having them on OSM against the users makes them personal data. In this case using them to identify someone proves them to be personal data.

It is all a bit de-minimis, but there is certainly a view in some people that they like to use GDPR to be awkward, e.g. by requesting Subject Access Requests purely for vexatious purposes, i.e. to cost the company money. If someone you're contacting has had some sort of bad experience in Scouting, don't rule out them making a report of misuse for this kind of means. So I would be cautious.

If they are your personal photographs, then GDPR is not relevant at all, until you use them for the purposes of the Group.
    In terms of OP, arguably, I don't think that is the case. They're his photos (not the group's) and he might say he's getting in touch with people not as a representative of his group, but as a private individual.

In terms of being cautious, where do you draw the line with that? If you lived life based on all the things that could happen, well, anything could happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    In terms of being cautious, where do you draw the line with that? If you lived life based on all the things that could happen, well, anything could happen.
    To be fair I do generally have quite a risk-averse outlook on some things at least.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (13-03-2019)

Thanks
    To be fair I do generally have quite a risk-averse outlook on some things at least.
    That's the thing though, knowing where the line is. At what point (and with what), is it better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

I think this is one of the things we're here to teach. By that, I don't mean teaching what we'd do, but teaching how to weigh up the pro's and con's and making an informed decision about the risks.

Is what I think.

Last edited by pa_broon74; 14-03-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks
    Groups would probably have more luck recruiting leaders if every time they had a proactive idea/suggestion they didn't get bogged down in a load of spurious and inaccurate GDPR nonsense.

That said, I agree with the whoever posted above that anyone with leader material will have already stuck around rather than need to be enticed back. Although that's easier for me to say ad we have an explorer unit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_Pepper For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (14-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    Groups would probably have more luck recruiting leaders if every time they had a proactive idea/suggestion they didn't get bogged down in a load of spurious and inaccurate GDPR nonsense.
    It is slighly de-minimis, but it is neither spurious nor inaccurate.

Thanks
    Using what could be old to very old to ancient email addresses/contact details to contact ex members would in my opinion be a no no, but if you have some old photos you could run a reunion event, or even a stall/event at another local event, if you can digitise them then you could string them together into a video presentation and use that as a tool to recruit, and/ or adertise a reunion night/events