Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea for leader recruitment

Thanks

An idea for leader recruitment

So... the last few weeks has seen me carrying out the tedious task of migrating loads of old photo albums for our group website from Google photos to Flickr. In some ways a bit tedious but in other ways its been quite fun looking at some old photos which go back in some cases over 15 years.

Anyway it did give me an idea for leader recruitment. Some of those in these photos will be in their early to mid 20s and may well be an interesting target for adult leader recruitment and I was pondering racking my brains for their names, doing some tracking down on social media and messaging them out the blue with something along the lines of "remember these old photos from back in the day? Fancy getting back involved with your old group."

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried that as a tactic? Going down the old boys and girls route and seeing what happens?

If so how did it go? Any particular strategies that paid off? I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,232 Posts
    I think *technically* it would be a GDPR breach as you don't have their consent for what is basically marketing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I think *technically* it would be a GDPR breach as you don't have their consent for what is basically marketing?
    Naw.

If he's sending photos to people who are in the photos...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Naw.

If he's sending photos to people who are in the photos...
    That wouldn't itself be a problem, but "by the way do you want to be a Leader" is marketing, and the only basis on which marketing can be undertaken is consent.

Thanks
    Instead of asking if they want to be involved in their old group why not invite them to visit one night to talk to current members. That may bring back good memories and conversations on the night could gently broach the subject of becoming a helper/leader.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Most of those who run our Summer Camps are former members. I keep in touch with many of our former Explorers one way or another

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I recruited three leaders this way. All were previous scouts of mine. (Actually, one was my son, but thatís a technicality :-)

As a result, I set up an ďAlumniĒ group on Facebook and invited scouts to join it when they left us. Itís fallen into disuse now that Iíve changed groups, but it was a good way to stay in touch.

Thanks
    Relevant interests...
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,524 Posts
    That wouldn't itself be a problem, but "by the way do you want to be a Leader" is marketing, and the only basis on which marketing can be undertaken is consent.
    Neil, I suspect that you are being overly retentive about this.

I've been thinking about this somewhat of late. If i have known someone in the past and they have, for no particular reason been absent for some time, is it a breach of GDPR to use whatever information I have to hand to locate them and enquire about their ellbeing, and perhaps invite them to rejoin our happy band?

I don't think it is. I think that it is perfectly acceptable to make that contact, and to introduce the "marketing" element in communication. It is no different that walking into a bar and meeting an old friend and asking him the same questions.

If the contact says, no thanks, I have no wish to know you or your little group, then fine, let it go, wipe him off your contact list. If you then repeat the approach, that then "could" be a breach of GDPR.

The essence of GDPR as a policy is good, but flawed. I find it highly irritating when following a news lead to find that some US and Canadian sites block access from EU-based addresses to their sites on the basis of the risk of breachng GDPR - utter nonsense.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (12-03-2019),BigBadBaloo (12-03-2019),Dr_Pepper (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Anyway it did give me an idea for leader recruitment. Some of those in these photos will be in their early to mid 20s and may well be an interesting target for adult leader recruitment and I was pondering racking my brains for their names, doing some tracking down on social media and messaging them out the blue with something along the lines of "remember these old photos from back in the day? Fancy getting back involved with your old group."

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried that as a tactic? Going down the old boys and girls route and seeing what happens?
    You mean...facebook stalking? No, can't say as I have. I'm friends with a fair few former members, and I post about scout stuff every once in a while, that might have an effect, mostly they're not local though so it's not helpful for me directly if they do sign up.

I would slowly slowly catchee monkey. The photos are a nice gentle way in, I like the idea of a "reunion", or a separate "old boys/girls" group.

I do know a leader who would keep details of ex members and badger them when vacancies came up. Their hit rate was very very low.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 795 Posts
    Naw again.

It's old acquaintances talking. I know a fair bit of GDPR isn't particularly well written, but if on social media (etc) we can't get in touch with people we used to know - and - compel them to come back to do something for which they or you won't get any financial or material benefit - that isn't marketing.

That reminds me of when Explorers were camping and the police tried to move us along. I asked if that was a precedent they really wanted to set?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Relevant interests...
    Marketing or recruitment are only allowed under consent.

- - - Updated - - -

Naw again.

It's old acquaintances talking. I know a fair bit of GDPR isn't particularly well written, but if on social media (etc) we can't get in touch with people we used to know - and - compel them to come back to do something for which they or you won't get any financial or material benefit - that isn't marketing.
    It's not just about financial benefit, it's about any benefit.

The only way you would get away with this would be if they were your personal photographs and you weren't doing it on behalf of the Group per-se. GDPR does not apply to any personal matters at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,200 Posts
    That reminds me of when Explorers were camping and the police tried to move us along. I asked if that was a precedent they really wanted to set?
    Okay, I know, thread drift, but...there's a story there, and I'm nosey...pull up a pew, tell us more.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Epona (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Neil, I suspect that you are being overly retentive about this.

I've been thinking about this somewhat of late. If i have known someone in the past and they have, for no particular reason been absent for some time, is it a breach of GDPR to use whatever information I have to hand to locate them and enquire about their ellbeing, and perhaps invite them to rejoin our happy band?

I don't think it is. I think that it is perfectly acceptable to make that contact, and to introduce the "marketing" element in communication. It is no different that walking into a bar and meeting an old friend and asking him the same questions.

If the contact says, no thanks, I have no wish to know you or your little group, then fine, let it go, wipe him off your contact list. If you then repeat the approach, that then "could" be a breach of GDPR.
    This is probably pragmatically how it would go. But it is still technically a breach.

The essence of GDPR as a policy is good, but flawed. I find it highly irritating when following a news lead to find that some US and Canadian sites block access from EU-based addresses to their sites on the basis of the risk of breachng GDPR - utter nonsense.
    It's because they don't want to bother concerning themselves with a law that is in many ways quite bureaucratic - and who can blame them?

Thanks
    Marketing or recruitment are only allowed under consent.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just about financial benefit, it's about any benefit.

The only way you would get away with this would be if they were your personal photographs and you weren't doing it on behalf of the Group per-se. GDPR does not apply to any personal matters at all.
    So what about setting up say a facebook group like 'friends or ex-members of xx scout group' then inviting members to join it. They then have an opportunity to ignore it, join it, leave it at will.