Thread: New groups or sections

Thanks

New groups or sections

I was under the impression that a new unit or group did not have to pay capitation until it had been open 12 months. Can anyone confirm? I can find nothing on line and it's too late for the info centre tonight and have an agitated group worrying....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I was under the impression that a new unit or group did not have to pay capitation until it had been open 12 months. Can anyone confirm? I can find nothing on line and it's too late for the info centre tonight and have an agitated group worrying....
    https://members.scouts.org.uk/docume...ept%202012.pdf

that is the closest i can find - it looks rather complicated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Unfortunately I don't believe that is true, there used to be a grant which refunded part of the membership fees but that scheme ceased in 2015. So choosing an appropriate start date is important and making sure you include this in your financial planning for opening the new Group and/or Section (I would suggest you need at least two terms worth of subs in before membership fees are due i.e. start sometime between Jan 1st and Sept).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    https://members.scouts.org.uk/docume...ept%202012.pdf

that is the closest i can find - it looks rather complicated
    I am afraid that is out of date info, in 2017 HQ got rid of the 100 start up grants for all Sections and now there are 1000 start up grants for new Sections opened in deprived areas.
    https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/4733

From that page
    Q: My line manager told me there was a membership fee refund a year after the section received a Start-Up Grant, but I can’t find any information about this?
    A: Unfortunately this funding programme, known as the Supplement Grant Programme, ended on 31 May 2015. It is no longer possible to apply for this grant and all information about it has been removed from the Association’s website.
    If only all information about it really had been removed for TSA's website
    Last edited by shiftypete; 15-03-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,378 Posts
    oh ffs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,523 Posts
    And there we were discusing subsidies and making jidgement calls... TSA has set the standard

Anyway - having set up a group with no support, in fact against strong opposition from some in Scouts, here is my solution.

If you have to pay AMS from day one, you charge it from day one. That is essentially what we did. We made an Insurance charge when we started in September, and charged weekly for membership. When the next term came we were already in a position to break the insurance into three termly payments and invoice subs and insurance together as a termly fee. It was difficult initially, but we soon overcame the break even.

I would not let AMS payment be a barrier to developing a group.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (17-03-2019)

Thanks
    At the end of the day it is the District that is responsible for remitting the Group payment to County, etc -- the District could quite easily if it chose, decide to pay all or a proportion of the new Groups AMS from their reserves -- that is what Reserves are for, I would strongly suggest (otherwise why are they holding reserves).

I suggest the Group needs to talk to their District Chairman and persuade him that setting up a new Group is an important thing for the District to support.
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnL For This Useful Post:

big chris (18-03-2019),Bushfella (16-03-2019)