Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Another DC bites the dust...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Conversely.

I think the main reason sometimes doesn't do well, it because the Scouts don't know each other and there's all the usual inter-troop rivalry and othering that goes on. If you had a decent district set up then the scouts would know each other and district Explorers would probably pick up really well.

I'd still lose the DC and all the other ADC positions, and I'd amalgamate into the DESC job, the Scout section and joint activities. That could be one or more people, but their remit would be focused on that, and not on, well, whatever it is geographic or sectional ADC's do just now.
    i can't imagine it.

i had scouts from well over a dozen different schools in one troop, a large number educated out of the district. They came to the troop to see their friends!

There are 19 state secondary schools in my old district and a fair number of private schools too. (and like i say, loads of kids go out of district for school so you are looking at 40 or so schools for all the scouts in the district, i would guess (not including primaries)

Even before we merged into a super district, there were 12 troops and well over 100 scouts at events and that cohesion just did not happen - and we had events every term. The pack instinct was never broken and frankly... no scout leader would want to... we spend years building patrols and teams and corporate spirit... we want them to stick together and have that pack instinct. it is how the bizarre mix of sport hero and autistic loner and bushcraft geek and nerdy musician etc can share a tent on a week-long camp successfully.

the patrol and the troop and the group are where a leader's focus lie. it is the only way it works.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (05-04-2019),shiftypete (01-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    i can't imagine it.

i had scouts from well over a dozen different schools in one troop, a large number educated out of the district. They came to the troop to see their friends!

There are 19 state secondary schools in my old district and a fair number of private schools too. (and like i say, loads of kids go out of district for school so you are looking at 40 or so schools for all the scouts in the district, i would guess (not including primaries)

Even before we merged into a super district, there were 12 troops and well over 100 scouts at events and that cohesion just did not happen - and we had events every term. The pack instinct was never broken and frankly... no scout leader would want to... we spend years building patrols and teams and corporate spirit... we want them to stick together and have that pack instinct. it is how the bizarre mix of sport hero and autistic loner and bushcraft geek and nerdy musician etc can share a tent on a week-long camp successfully.

the patrol and the troop and the group are where a leader's focus lie. it is the only way it works.
    I can't really imagine it either, I just thought I'd try and maintain an open mind lest people thought I had some sort of pathological dislike of any sort of district structure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (02-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I can't really imagine it either, I just thought I'd try and maintain an open mind lest people thought I had some sort of pathological dislike of any sort of district structure.

I really appreciated the support of fellow scout leaders in our older smaller District. 12 troops or so and 8 or so leaders who would turn up regularly to termly meetings. Mutual support and genuine friendships. Idea swapping, moans etc. I became a better leader because of those chats.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (02-04-2019),hippysurfer (05-04-2019),shiftypete (02-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,263 Posts
    What I worry about, amongst other things, is that next time it comes to a re-arrangement, or changes, the DESCs will just get shouted down by the GSLs, because there's more of them, and the GSLs will get what they want and the baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. We'll end up with some nice strong groups that have Units and the rest can lump it.
    Our District Explorer setup is working for us and the Explorers love it. When we have "outsiders" come on camp with us, they just can't tell who is in which constituent unit. This is a good and powerful thing.

Not saying you're wrong if you do it differently, just different, and that's okay.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (02-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    What I worry about, amongst other things, is that next time it comes to a re-arrangement, or changes, the DESCs will just get shouted down by the GSLs, because there's more of them, and the GSLs will get what they want and the baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. We'll end up with some nice strong groups that have Units and the rest can lump it.
    Our District Explorer setup is working for us and the Explorers love it. When we have "outsiders" come on camp with us, they just can't tell who is in which constituent unit. This is a good and powerful thing.

Not saying you're wrong if you do it differently, just different, and that's okay.
    Which is pretty much what they did with Venture Scout Leaders at the last restructuring.

But I agree, the main problem is inflexibility. The notion that I'd force scouts to leave at age ~14 and go somewhere they didn't want to go (or leave) is daft. POR takes very little account of the relationships you build up with you people. I think we need to get back to a situation where it does.