Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wanted to re-write the training scheme?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,243 Posts

Who wanted to re-write the training scheme?

I think that's what this proper paid actual job is...

https://scouts.org.uk/about-us/jobs/...ation-manager/

You've got until Friday to apply.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Anyone else want to translate.

I am half minded to apply. But I want to understand what they are after first of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    At a rough guess they want someone who will suggest ways of achieving their stated ambitions such as simplifying training so that others in the organisation can respond with reasons why "that bit can't be taken out" leaving the post holder frustrated.

It really needs a ground up re-write starting from the assumption that volunteers have very limited time (and those that have more are a bonus not the norm) so training can't be gold plated for other reasons.

Being more sensible it does look like a good start on this, but if anyone applies they really need to be asking some fairly direct questions at interview as to how much realistic resistance there is going to be to significant change.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    At a rough guess they want someone who will suggest ways of achieving their stated ambitions such as simplifying training so that others in the organisation can respond with reasons why "that bit can't be taken out" leaving the post holder frustrated.

It really needs a ground up re-write starting from the assumption that volunteers have very limited time (and those that have more are a bonus not the norm) so training can't be gold plated for other reasons.

Being more sensible it does look like a good start on this, but if anyone applies they really need to be asking some fairly direct questions at interview as to how much realistic resistance there is going to be to significant change.
    This is not a new role. the last chap has just left so i guess they are just replacing him

Thanks
    Resistance? In the SA? Didn't Locutus of Borg have something to say about that? Locutus.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnmcmahon; 26-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    The application pack is worth saving, it's an absolute gold mine of bullshit management language.

This is the problem with Scouts. The person who gets that job will have to be able to understand that application pack, and that application pack makes no sense. It's written in English, but the words being used, and the order in which they're written, only makes sense to a tiny fraction of society.

It's like HQ are staffed by bats, and they're squeaking away at each other in frequencies only they can hear. Meanwhile we're down here, wondering why we're being bitten by so many insects.

Or something...

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    The application pack is worth saving, it's an absolute gold mine of bullshit management language.

This is the problem with Scouts. The person who gets that job will have to be able to understand that application pack, and that application pack makes no sense. It's written in English, but the words being used, and the order in which they're written, only makes sense to a tiny fraction of society.

It's like HQ are staffed by bats, and they're squeaking away at each other in frequencies only they can hear. Meanwhile we're down here, wondering why we're being bitten by so many insects.

Or something...

To be fair, if they were bats, they'd be eating the insects.....

Thanks
    Did you see this Facebook post on Saturday?
    We’re launching badges and resources crammed full of tips and advice with fundraising experts GoFundMe! Perfect timing for Scouts and Explorers on their way to the World Scout Jamboree this summer.
    Perfect timing? This was posted 120 days before the World Scout Jamboree starts. Does someone really think that this is "perfect timing" for help in trying to raise c4,000 per participant?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

johnL (27-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    To be fair, if they were bats, they'd be eating the insects.....
    They should be eating the insects, but they're not, they're too busy squeaking that verbal sludge at each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Did you see this Facebook post on Saturday?

Perfect timing? This was posted 120 days before the World Scout Jamboree starts. Does someone really think that this is "perfect timing" for help in trying to raise c4,000 per participant?!
    Oh dear.

Oh no... I fear you may have triggered me.

Deep breath...

While this may just be my perception, the kids that go to world jamborees tend not to come from the poorest of backgrounds, (I know, there's odd exception to the rule, but lets be honest, they don't). So you have a crowd of floppy-haired teens basically begging online for donations, they're not even going to pack your bags at the check out, it'll be a straightforward GoFundMe appeal... Which leads to Scouts 'teaming up' with GoFundMe - who take a cut of all money raised. I can well imagine what GoFundMe's advice will be - how about a GoFundMe appeal?

Grrr...

And back on topic.

Training... Yes... I'll redo the whole thing for three quarters of the cash they're offering, as long as I can work from home. I don't want to relocate my roost.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Non-sequitur of the week award!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Indeed. At least one of my floppy haired teens is done and dusted already.

What ever happened to "scouts don't beg"?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (27-03-2019),shiftypete (27-03-2019)

Thanks

You put it so well!

I think I stopped reading at the point that I got to "volunteering professional" I see that it twice mentions "agile delivery" I am not sure I am agile enough for that. I would have trouble applying anyway as I don't know if I have ever worked in a "matrix management environment".

I was delighted to see the picture of the guy wearing a woggle however. I didn't think that any of these user insight, design thinking, lean startup, rapid prototyping, agile delivery people at Gillwell knew what a woggle was.

Thanks
    They should be eating the insects, but they're not, they're too busy squeaking that verbal sludge at each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear.

Oh no... I fear you may have triggered me.

Deep breath...

While this may just be my perception, the kids that go to world jamborees tend not to come from the poorest of backgrounds, (I know, there's odd exception to the rule, but lets be honest, they don't). So you have a crowd of floppy-haired teens basically begging online for donations, they're not even going to pack your bags at the check out, it'll be a straightforward GoFundMe appeal... Which leads to Scouts 'teaming up' with GoFundMe - who take a cut of all money raised. I can well imagine what GoFundMe's advice will be - how about a GoFundMe appeal?

Grrr...

And back on topic.

Training... Yes... I'll redo the whole thing for three quarters of the cash they're offering, as long as I can work from home. I don't want to relocate my roost.
    My apologies for triggering you. Counselling may be available (at your own cost and you have to arrange it.)

I was more focussed on the inability to live in the real world, where most of us (whatever our background etc) would allow ourselves more than 120 days to raise that much money (however we did it.)

I'm reminded of when someone finally realised and congratulated themselves in print that they had noticed that we plan our programmes in advance, which means that putting (eg) Christmas programme ideas in the November issue of the magazine was a bit late.

Thanks
    It's fine, I've calmed down.

Four months to raise - what was it, 4k? That's 1k per month (I know, my maths is impressive). Not even I would leave it that late.

I may put something in my new training scheme... It would be optional, I understand not every one is keen on world jamborees.

Thanks

Off on a journey

[/QUOTE]pa_broon74;462855]The application pack is worth saving, it's an absolute gold mine of bullshit management language

Hey, I looked and it says it's all about a journey. Well in past years I used to write about journeys, but they involved an OS map and my trusty Silva - but times and language have changed - as has Scouting. I suspect the team I worked with would say the same, we're probably well out of it but with lots of good memories.
    Chris A.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisA For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (28-03-2019)

Thanks
    Just one small comment regarding the job description. It is a great example of writer arrogance. The word "organisation" is spelt wrongly more times than it is spelt correctly. Other words are either missing or mis-spelt. A simpe reference to a spellchecking package and a second pair of eyes to both proof read and assess for understanding would make the document a little more professional. It won't make it less daunting or reduce the amount of "management speak" but, at least, it would not smack of carelessness!!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

ChrisA (29-03-2019),khoomei (29-03-2019),pa_broon74 (28-03-2019)