Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: District Leader Meetings

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Is not the obvious question - does anyone actually like any sort of 'meeting?'

While I appreciate I may be projecting my derision of meetings on to others, we had the same thing with our much-put-upon DESC (more than one in fact) and their efforts to instigate an 'Explorer Forum'. It just never worked. The DESC/s would visit occasionally, and I'd feel sorry for them and for my Explorers. I felt sorry for the DESC because he was wasting his time, and I felt sorry for my Explorers because they felt bad about not being able to do it because a) they were already quite busy and b) it sounded really boring.

They were already talking and doing stuff they wanted to do. Why would they need to do more of it? This is was one of the 'selling points' the DESC came out with (and it seems to be one of the 'selling points' of district leaders meetings) - that you got to hear ideas about and discuss ideas that you maybe didn't think off. Pre-internet that might have been the case, but it isn't now.

As well as that, are we not looking at the wrong thing here? We're talking about sitting down and sharing ideas and learning from each other in a structured setting? Before that can effectively happen, do we not all need to know and connect with each other? So would social events not be far more useful? Can you do one without the other? The internet may be jam-packed with ideas, but it's also accidentally quite isolating.

Meetings here are the type where you turn up and are talked at often with a powerpoint presentation. These tend to be 'all leaders' meetings.

The sections meet after this and very occasionally at other times to discuss the events that the ADC and DSL are prepared to put on. They sometimes ask what people want but the changes often don't happen as when put to the kids they are not available etc. Sometimes because it is new the 'team' haven't got round to it.

If a Group are prepared to arrange something rather than the District then others MAY join in.

GDPR the way it has bee applied here too will not help matters. From the last meeting the 'slides' with dates on were being sent to GSLs so if they don't pass them on then neither the events on it or the date of the next meeting is known. Very few emails get sent to people and for GDPR reasons are sent BCC so you don't know who else has got it.

The District has stopped producing the Directory for the same reason so you don't know who is involved with other groups and how to contact them. In fact we don't even know who the District team and Executive are.

The same goes for County too.

How can people get to know each other and plan to work together if you don't know who they are. Oh yes, you need to go to the meeting that you don't know about and introduce yourself to those that did know about the meeting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    Meetings here are the type where you turn up and are talked at often with a powerpoint presentation. These tend to be 'all leaders' meetings.

The sections meet after this and very occasionally at other times to discuss the events that the ADC and DSL are prepared to put on. They sometimes ask what people want but the changes often don't happen as when put to the kids they are not available etc. Sometimes because it is new the 'team' haven't got round to it.

If a Group are prepared to arrange something rather than the District then others MAY join in.

GDPR the way it has bee applied here too will not help matters. From the last meeting the 'slides' with dates on were being sent to GSLs so if they don't pass them on then neither the events on it or the date of the next meeting is known. Very few emails get sent to people and for GDPR reasons are sent BCC so you don't know who else has got it.

The District has stopped producing the Directory for the same reason so you don't know who is involved with other groups and how to contact them. In fact we don't even know who the District team and Executive are.

How can people get to know each other and plan to work together if you don't know who they are. Oh yes, you need to go to the meeting that you don't know about and introduce yourself to those that did know about the meeting.
    Heh!

When you put it like that, it does sound daft.

I still think there has been a subtle shift that has resulted in a less than subtle change in how adult volunteers regard Scouting in general. The subtle shift (some might say, not so subtle) to a more work place orientated model - top down management, the language now being used etc - means adult volunteers are less likely to attend meetings and it's become more difficult to recruit into a lot of management roles because it's become difficult to recognise how these roles add to the quality of front line scouting.

GDPR is a pretty good example of this in action.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post

This is what has happened to us as well. We no longer have a Directory so you've no idea who is in post. We don't get any emails any more due to GDPR hysteria.

We don't know what (if any) events District are running as there is no infomation about them on any media (social or otherwise). To all intents and purposes District has disappeared.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

Given your first point, I suspect your idea here is on shakey ground. If minds are closed then minds are closed.

I can think of a handful of Leaders who would be happy to meet in a pub, it was tried, we got a different set of leaders than in a "structured" meeting, to use your words. The pub meeting only served to reinforce peoples' preconceived ideas of how others behaved, and I include myself in that. The drunk proved himself to be a drunk, I showed myself to be "aloof". The whole thing was reduced to absurdity by one of the main proponents of the event deciding that he had to have a meal - so we were delayed from any discusion whlst he chose his meal, and then discussion was corrupted by his eating. You had to be there. The mek sat with their soda water an said nothing.
    Yup. I see what you mean and agree.

For what it's worth, we have our somewhat structured group meetings in the pub - which works well enough. But that's at group level, and we're tight to the bone on them - it's all leaders/committee members, we never see new faces. I chair it (because we've not had an official chair for years), but then I can keep things ticking over nice and quickly.

The worst we have to deal with comes from outside our meeting, it's the local village idiot becoming angry because we ask them to turn the juke box down. He doesn't even put money it, it's just the songs that come on randomly every now and again... It can be a wee bit distracting if you're discussing say, the jumble sale, and Steps' Tragedy starts blaring out.

It's a British Legion, or Scottish legion or what ever they're calling it these days. I have to sit under a portrait of the Queen... I haven't melted... So far...

Thanks
    Yup. I see what you mean and agree.

For what it's worth, we have our somewhat structured group meetings in the pub - which works well enough. But that's at group level, and we're tight to the bone on them - it's all leaders/committee members, we never see new faces. I chair it (because we've not had an official chair for years), but then I can keep things ticking over nice and quickly.

The worst we have to deal with comes from outside our meeting, it's the local village idiot becoming angry because we ask them to turn the juke box down. He doesn't even put money it, it's just the songs that come on randomly every now and again... It can be a wee bit distracting if you're discussing say, the jumble sale, and Steps' Tragedy starts blaring out.

It's a British Legion, or Scottish legion or what ever they're calling it these days. I have to sit under a portrait of the Queen... I haven't melted... So far...
    Believe it or not (I didn't at first), we've been banned from meeting in the pub by county for GDPR reasons in case any sensitive information may be overheard.

Thanks
    ....................... - it's all leaders/committee members, we never see new faces.......................
    If it is the Group leaders and/or the Exec meeting, I am not sure why you would expect to see new faces, unless you had specifically invited them to attend,
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Believe it or not (I didn't at first), we've been banned from meeting in the pub by county for GDPR reasons in case any sensitive information may be overheard.

This really annoys me. On the one hand each level/unit of TSA is a charity in its own right and therefore sets its own GDPR procedures etc (ie a group exec decides what's best for a group) and yet on the other these diktats come down from on high using "GDPR" as the all-encompassing reason. Madness.
    Last edited by dragonhhjh; 08-04-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    James

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,412 Posts
    and you told them to poke it?

Thanks
    Yeah. Folks can't hear anything we're saying because of the juke box...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    If it is the Group leaders and/or the Exec meeting, I am not sure why you would expect to see new faces, unless you had specifically invited them to attend,
    Occasionally we specifically invite people to attend. Plus, it was a statement of fact, not of expectation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,240 Posts
    "Cripes but that Smithy is a little oh hi Mrs Smithy how are you? Yeah great thanks!"
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Yeah. ..................... Plus, it was a statement of fact, not of expectation...................

So it was - oops! Although it could be read as a sort of complaint by those familiar with you style of posts
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    So it was - oops! Although it could be read as a sort of complaint by those familiar with you style of posts
    That is a fair comment to make.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    I actually thought @bushfellas original post about running District Meetings in a similar form to a Section Meeting was an innovative suggestion which challenged me and got me thinking. So thank you.
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zzbuckley For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (09-04-2019),hippysurfer (10-04-2019),shiftypete (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbuckley View Post
    I actually thought @bushfellas original post about running District Meetings in a similar form to a Section Meeting was an innovative suggestion which challenged me and got me thinking. So thank you.
    The idea was borrowed from a previous DC, who sadly had to resign for personal reasons.

I was new at the time, and I found it very useful in helping me get to know people, in learning a few ideas, and it gave me an idea of how a section meeting could be run.

Had I taken the DC role, which I now regret not doing, I would have reintroduced this style of Leader meeting. I did manage to get a couple of such meetings started and they were looking positive, but ...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post

This really annoys me. On the one hand each level/unit of TSA is a charity in its own right and therefore sets its own GDPR procedures etc (ie a group exec decides what's best for a group) and yet on the other these diktats come down from on high using "GDPR" as the all-encompassing reason. Madness.
    Districts and Counties seem to often forget that their role is to support local Scouting. There role is not to dictate to individual Scout Groups on such micro-management as to where they may or may not want to hold a meeting. As dragonhhjh commented, the Group should have considered GDPR implications, and it is for them to decide on such issues.

There is a big difference between "When holding meetings in public places you should considered whether or not it is a suitable location to discuss personal information in case you should breach your GDPR obligations" and "You may not hold your meetings in a pub due to GDPR". The first is useful guidance, the second in an unwanted dictat.

Paul

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

johnL (09-04-2019),shiftypete (10-04-2019)