Thread: Kit lists.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts

Kit lists.

We're going to play a wee game tonight based on kit lists.

I was going to give scouts a list of items the could pack, explain though, that they could only pack, say, ten out of a possible twenty or thirty options? While they did that, I was going to get the rest of the leader team to give a value between 1 and 10 to each of the items. Tote it all up at the end and see who's kit was closest to the leader team's ideal.

With that in mind, I was Googling for some official Scout kit lists... Found some too - complete with TSA's sponsored recommendations. Hoodie - TSA official recommended hoodie? i-Scout Hoodie and so forth. All their recommendations come from the online store.

In among the personal kit was the line 'casual trousers'. I mean I knew what they meant in the context of the list - but it smacked a bit of evening wear. I imagined scouts wandering around in smoking jackets and slacks...

Anyway, kit lists. For an indoor camp. No hillwalking, but we're on a boat across a loch then mountain biking back round on tarmac and gravel. Evenings are indoors but we'll have a campfire. Centre has cutlery and crockery. Bunk beds have horrible plastic mattresses but no bedding.

What would you value highest and what would value lowest?

We don't have space to transport full on pillows so don't even go there. (Travel pillows are good to go though...)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    my last indoor camp kit list:
    Kit List
    - Sleeping Bag and a blanket
    - pillow
    - sheet - the matresses are plastic and horrible without a sheet
    - Warm Sweaters
    - Onesie?
    - Waterproof Coat and trousers
    - T-shirts
    - Trainers
    - walking boots / wellies
    - Socks and underwear
    - something to sleep in
    - Water Bottle (labelled) - this is important and seems to get forgotten
    - wash kit (bit optimistc)
    - Long Trousers
    - Torch (and spare batteries)
    - Warm hat.
    - board games/ card games etc
    - any cool survival kit that you might have including firelighting toys etc.

My last narrowboat camp kit list:

KitList... Please pack small and in a squishy bag, (space is at a premium) -

• Uniform (to travel in) and a scarf&woggle to wear all day. (ask me if you are missing any uniform.
    • Clothes for 3 days (allow for getting rained on please)
    • Waterproofs. Please make sure they are waterproof... I know this sounds obvious but a lightweight nylon football training top that is a bit shiny is not waterproof... Scouts need waterproof trousers and a waterproof top. We have some at the hut if need be.
    • Flat grippy shoes. (Trainers or deck shoes) no need for walking boots.
    • Small board games or similar to pass the time... books or magazines are good too. Sociable stuff for preference.
    • Sleeping Bag and sheet (the matresses are plastic) I think there are blankets on board too. Plus there is heating.
    • Wash Kit there is a shower on board.
    • A camera? Binoculars? Anything like that... we're pootling along at about 3.5mph so there are loads of chances to take photos and look at wildlife.
    • homework? This has been done on board before. Honestly.
    • Nice warm clothes including hat and gloves.
    • any medication plus all relevant instructions. We can refridgerate if need be.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (28-03-2019),richardnhunt (28-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    -

My last narrowboat camp kit list:
    [/FONT]
    KitList... Please pack small and in a squishy bag, (space is at a premium) -

• Uniform (to travel in) and a scarf&woggle to wear all day. (ask me if you are missing any uniform.
    • Clothes for 3 days (allow for getting rained on please)
    • Waterproofs. Please make sure they are waterproof... I know this sounds obvious but a lightweight nylon football training top that is a bit shiny is not waterproof... Scouts need waterproof trousers and a waterproof top. We have some at the hut if need be.
    • Flat grippy shoes. (Trainers or deck shoes) no need for walking boots.
    • Small board games or similar to pass the time... books or magazines are good too. Sociable stuff for preference.
    • Sleeping Bag and sheet (the matresses are plastic) I think there are blankets on board too. Plus there is heating.
    • Wash Kit – there is a shower on board.
    • A camera? Binoculars? Anything like that... we're pootling along at about 3.5mph so there are loads of chances to take photos and look at wildlife.
    • homework? This has been done on board before. Honestly.
    • Nice warm clothes including hat and gloves.
    • any medication plus all relevant instructions. We can refridgerate if need be.
    Thanks - Narrow boating camp coming up, so this is very useful
    Rich

Thanks
    Apropos of nothing other than it worked really well.

The game we did tonight worked quite well. We gave them 30 bits of kit to pick from - and allowed them 10 choices. The rest of the team numbered them 1 to 30 - 1 being the most useful, 30 the least. We took their choices toted up the score and told them at flag down. They all thought the highest score would win, but it was the lowest score.

Thanks
    Hi,

Would you mind sharing your list and scores? sounds like a good activity to do.

Thanks,
    Adrian

Thanks
    Kit list options.docx

I hope that worked.

I can't share the scores because the trick is, is to get the kids to pick ten items out of the options - while they do that, the leader team give the options a score based on what they'd recommend for the weekend your planning. (Ours is an indoor camp, weekend, mountain biking during the day, no swimming or anything...)

Originally, I thought they could give each item a value between one and ten - so some items could be equal in value. However, leaders numbered them one to thirty - one being the most important, thirty the least.

It was funny and interesting because the patrols with the highest scores (and the daftest list), thought they'd won.

Thanks
    Hey,

A sleeping bag should be the highest priority as it is the most important thing.
    My senior advised me to get a lightweight sleeping bag so I got one from Nest Bedding sale $200, and seriously it is the most useful thing that should be on the top of the list.
    Other than that i brought warm sweaters, socks, undergarments, toiletries, beanie, raincoat, and lightweight shirts and pants with me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeC547 View Post
    Hey,

A sleeping bag should be the highest priority as it is the most important thing.
    My senior advised me to get a lightweight sleeping bag so I got one from Nest Bedding sale $200, and seriously it is the most useful thing that should be on the top of the list.
    Other than that i brought warm sweaters, socks, undergarments, toiletries, beanie, raincoat, and lightweight shirts and pants with me.
    Ah but see now...

Is it a waterproof sleeping bag? What are you carrying it in?

Personally, depending on the setting, the most important thing is probably either money or a bank card these days. If I'm right out in the wilderness, no phone reception, no hotels - then it's a penknife. At a stretch, I might cheat and say survival kit, it's one item, sort of, but with many items in it.

With 18 scouts away this coming weekend. I'm beginning think, ear plugs? Or gaffa tape? Yeah, gaffa tape...