Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scouts in schools - I am a long way from convinced.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I think we're now on to comparing Scouts with DoE, which is, ummm, something, but it's not what I said originally.

The only thing Scouts has in common with DoE is some content - everything else is completely different, so can't reasonably be compared.

The kind of commitment you need for Scouting (shoddy standards not-with-standing - what goes on with DoE does occasionally go on in Scouts too), is far greater than that needed for DoE.

So, I dare say there is a certain cachet with Scouts when it comes to getting jobs/places on courses. That said, we can't know how often people have been rejected because of their scouting background because someone in the process had a bad experience. or holds many of the usual lazy prejudices about Scouts that do the rounds. But then, would you want to work for someone like that? Perhaps not, so include it always.

I would say though, on balance, if I was going for other jobs, I'd include it - and I'd advise young folk to do the same. I think I've written about half a dozen references over the past 12 months for one thing or another.
    I still have my scout volunteering on my linkedin profile and on my CV it features although mostly as a footnote. My instinct is that over all it gets more positive reception than negative.

In my initial job applying post university I only encountered one employer that said they had never heard of Queens Scout award. I don't think they took it negatively, they were just confused by it. Yes Fenwick's of Newcastle! I refer to you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    I still have my scout volunteering on my linkedin profile and on my CV it features although mostly as a footnote. My instinct is that over all it gets more positive reception than negative.

In my initial job applying post university I only encountered one employer that said they had never heard of Queens Scout award. I don't think they took it negatively, they were just confused by it. Yes Fenwick's of Newcastle! I refer to you!
    I've put my Scout volunteering on my CV since I left school, as I feel it shows something about ambition, skill, and leadership ability - and I think it genuinely helped me to get my current job 3 years ago, as an accountant.

It also helped that my boss, when interviewing me, brought up my ACSL role when commenting that he was a former Scout and the father of a (then) Cub Scout, as well as being a parent volunteer with his son's Group. And he's since also become his Group's Treasurer! (They wanted a Treasurer...they had a parent volunteer who's an accountant...it was a no-brainer! )

On the original question though, I see no problem with Scout Groups being based in schools, or even connected to the schools they're in in some way.

What I do disagree with somewhat is an attitude prevalent in the majority of my District of "Feeder schools". That is, children from a given school are expected to go to a given Scout Group. Going to a different local Group is considered a minor crime. Even Groups that are not based in local schools will usually be treated as connected to certain local schools. The Sea Scouts are based at the church up the road from me, and the primary school a little further up the road is considered to be "their" school.

A leader from another local Group actually commented once on one of our Cubs coming from "his" Group's school, and we actually had to defend this by explaining that although said Cub went to that school, they lived just up the road from our HQ. But why should we HAVE to defend it??

This sense of territoriality is bad. It's bad for the children, it's bad for the Groups, and it's bad for the District as a whole. But sadly all the local Groups have the same mindset and it'll be years I think before anything changes, as many of the senior leaders in our District have been around for a while and will probably still be around for a few years yet.

As a new GSL though, I thought "to hell with it" and just mass-emailed all the local schools to ask them to help spread the word about my own small Group. Some kids may come to our Group who wouldn't want to go to that school's usual Group, maybe it's closer, maybe they don't get along with one of the kids at that other Group, whatever; "Feeder schools" are not good, but more options for Scouting ARE good!
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KoopaCooper For This Useful Post:

ianw (07-05-2019)