Thread: Bronze Award Evening - What do you do?

Thanks

Bronze Award Evening - What do you do?

What we currently do, is hire the town hall, bronze & silver awardees sit at the front, parents at the rear. The ADC Beavers & Cubs award the said certificates. The mayor, DC, bloke from county help with speeches & hand shaking & then the children stay for squash & biscuits.
    The bit on the stage has always been about the kids rather than the leaders & they have been told what a fantastic achievement it is.... etc....... There's been photos & all has been good. Turnout is generally 50% of children who have achieved the award. Those who don't show are Scouting on the Friday, or have left or whatever.

But now, new blood has entered our District. We have 2 new leaders who say the award evening is boring. Apparently we should have a disco.

Now, I know of some districts who don't do anything. The leaders award the children their certificates on the night they get the badge during the meeting. But I would be interested to hear what others do.

Thanks
    I must admit I read your description and thought the same as the two new leaders - sorry!

Our District doesn't do anything at any level, as far as I know. When I was a leader there was an attempt to get soem sort of awards ceremony of the ground for the CSAs, but that fell by the wayside, mainly because it was boring and take up was poor!

As far as I know our County has an awards evening, but I have never been. The challenge is that it is on Friday evening in Reading. Now Bracknell to Reading is not far (about 13 miles), but to get to the other side of the town on the tail end of the rush hour on a Friday evening.................. no thank you!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.¯ Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I must admit I read your description and thought the same as the two new leaders - sorry!
    I must admit, it doesn't set the world on fire, but it is what it is. The District leaders are quite elderly & shall we say traditional. I'm wondering if there is a happy medium.

Thanks
    Good grief, ours just get awarded it at a normal evening, if we are organised we invite the ADC or DC. But then we do have a couple a year
    'Simba'

BSL/ADC Beavers.

All opinions stated are my own.

Thanks
    e do ours with Mayor and they also get a certificate from the Mayor. Get to try on his robes etc - A good evening
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    I pushed the boat out by getting the DC in to present them last time, as I had 5. Normally just done as part of the meeting, with a big fuss.
    Michelle Barlow

BSL for 3rd Codnor

Thanks
    Our District does a Top Awards event. Recipients of awards are invited. It is not always the same format. This time it is at a circus. Not many of my Beavers go to it as it is an optional thing but those that do seem to enjoy it.

Nigel
    Norfolk Broads
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    My county does a 'celebration of excellence' day - they use on of the county campsites, and during the day they lay on loads of activities for Bronze/Silver award holders, and then (new last year) in the evening they have a celebration meal for Gold/Platinum/Diamond/QSA award holders. County fund it all so there is no charge for YP. I went last year for my QSA and had a really nice evening, I thought it was a great idea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbb View Post
    What we currently do, is hire the town hall, bronze & silver awardees sit at the front, parents at the rear. The ADC Beavers & Cubs award the said certificates. The mayor, DC, bloke from county help with speeches & hand shaking & then the children stay for squash & biscuits.
    The bit on the stage has always been about the kids rather than the leaders & they have been told what a fantastic achievement it is.... etc....... There's been photos & all has been good. Turnout is generally 50% of children who have achieved the award. Those who don't show are Scouting on the Friday, or have left or whatever.

But now, new blood has entered our District. We have 2 new leaders who say the award evening is boring. Apparently we should have a disco.

Now, I know of some districts who don't do anything. The leaders award the children their certificates on the night they get the badge during the meeting. But I would be interested to hear what others do.
    Our district does similar, but it's held at a different venue around the District each time. The Beavers sit with their parents rather than at the front.

It's normally a quick affair, although sometimes have a few presentations from Explorers about their D of E expeditions that can add 10 minutes or so.

It's okay, it is what it is.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    The way I see it, if you're saving up top awards to hand out at a big ceremony across a whole District, chances are that some of the relevant YPs will have a) left the section/left Scouting by the time the awards get handed out, b) not be interested because they're already working on their next award, c) find it all a bit too much fuss and feel like it's just an excuse for the leaders to congratulate each other over helping their YPs to get top awards.

Instead, we present on the evening, with a big fuss.

If it happens to fall that a YP gets a top award close to a big Group event, then it may be held off for a couple of weeks until the event takes place, and then presented there instead of at the section meeting, to make a bit more of a fuss over the YP. For instance, I have a Beaver who will be getting her Bronze award badge - plus a certificate, AND a Bronze Award woggle - at the Group's AGM early next month, just a couple of weeks after receiving her final Challenge badge (and swimming up from Beavers to Cubs).

.Chief Scout's Bronze Award Certificate.doc
    Chief[email protected][1].jpg

I would also consider presenting a top award at the Group's annual BBQ in July, or any other similarly Group-wide family-friendly event (Burns' Night party, a Group quiz night, etc) if it happened to become due close enough to the event.

The certificates used by our Group are all my own artistry; basically all the leaders agreed that they disliked the "cartoon characters" on the official certificates, and wanted something simpler and more elegant, so I set about designing my own set of matching certificates for all the sections (well, one generic template and then just switched in each of the Challenges and top awards in turn). And the woggles were an original idea too, which those YPs who've earnt one all love to wear proudly (and half the troop are already drooling over the idea of getting a CSGold woggle). The number of lost woggles has fallen dramatically in the last year, particularly amongst those who have a CSA woggle!

...I'm a little unsure if the idea of CSA woggles would extend as well to the Platinum or Diamond awards, not to mention the Queen's Scout, or if they might just end up looking a little bit naff? I dunno. I do believe that the official certificates for the Platinum and Diamond at least look good though.
    Last edited by KoopaCooper; 06-05-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KoopaCooper For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (06-05-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbb View Post

Our District do as you do for Bronze and Silver all on the same night and they get a massive turnout.

From what I can gather it is a great night with lots of proud kids and parents.

From the point of view of it been months after the badge is presented - it doesn’t matter. The kid turns up in their current uniform etc. This is just a certificate presentation.

As far as discos not certain there would be a good turn out for that and it is something that happens end of term at school anyway so nothing different to highlight the achievement.

Scouts, Explorers and Network have Gold, Platinum upto QSA and DofE gold presented at a County Ceremony held once a year. Again massive turnout and lots of proud kids and parents. Certificates presented normally by someone like Tim Kidd or Lord Lieutenant or similar. Again they attend in the uniform of the section that they are currently in at presentation.