Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Inflation hits home...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 815 Posts
    I think we're in the same boat as schools in some regards. There is a trend now for kids to always be doing something - to never be idle. Among parents, there is a lot of peer pressure for them to be seen to be providing the absolute best for their kids - sometimes even if it's not really that good for them. Gone are the days when all this used to be fiel- hold on... Got carried away there. What I meant to say was, gone are the days when parents were content to just let their kids play, or to let them make their own entertainment. So much of everything is now on tap, packaged, marketed and sold, and can be delivered to your doorstep the next day - so why not childhood?

So schools have cottoned on to it - lets be honest, they probably had no choice - people who run schools are often parents too. The number of trips they do now compared to when I was at school has rocketed, as has the uptake, more kids didn't go on the trips than did back in the day.

Is it a bad thing? I think for those who can't afford it - yeah, it is. But, equally, I don't think kid A should be deprived of a thing because kid B (unfortunately) can't afford it. I put the blame for that at the door of government for not allocating our taxes properly.

What annoys me about the trips are, often they're run for profit. Whether it's the centres they go to or the companies arranging the trips. Also, often I think they are misrepresented by those flogging them - they say they're character building working trips, building schools or paths or digging wells etc - when they really aren't.

Also, I think these trips come to easily to a lot of kids. If I had a quid for every scout we saw go off on one of these 'life changing' trips - who's parents stood selling burgers at bonfire night, organised the bag packs or sponsored skives... Well, I still wouldn't have enough to send a kid on one of these trips because they're so massively over-priced, but I'd have at least 15.

As for Scouts? Personality sells - that will always be our USP. It's about people & personalities at Scouts, or at least that's how I see it - I don't think schools will ever be able to do that, they're too big and they're not set up for it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    As for Scouts? Personality sells - that will always be our USP. It's about people & personalities at Scouts, or at least that's how I see it - I don't think schools will ever be able to do that, they're too big and they're not set up for it.
    Too true, I mean, that's why the numbers of Explorers coming on our summer camp has increased so much, knowing that they get to spend a whole week with me. I mean, we might charge 200, but that's priceless!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    ... Saturday, we're off to Loch Katrine - The Sir Walter Scott Steamer (it's a boat, not a drunk Scotsman), to Stronachlachar, then mountain biking back round to Loch Katrine pier, with a picnic lunch on the way, somewhere.
    Absolutely brilliant. We did that as day 2 of a two-day cycle expedition on the District trip to Lochearnhead. Actually, we did it the other way round and rode to the far end, then finished the trip with the voyage home to be picked up. We'd warned the boat company, but the number of bikes still took them a bit by surprise. I've got a photo of them all stacked on the bows
    SL, 11th Hitchin