Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Georges day parade

Thanks

St Georges day parade

This year our annual District St Georges day takes the format of a parade, followed by a service at a local leisure centre.
    This year it falls on the last weekend of the School Easter holidays, and we have exactly zero Scouts attending (set it up as an event in OSM - OSm reports zero and plenty of not attending resposnes) , despite e-mails letters etc being sent out.
    Just got a feeling that we will be moaned at again for not supporting the District

Thanks
    I always got 90% of my cubs to attend both St Georges Parade and Remembrance Service. Any cub who attended both got a free sleepover at the cub hut, with a film, popcorn, and a trip to the chippy. Plus they would get a badge for each event. It used to cost me 100 or so per year, but the being the biggest cub pack at the St Georges District Parade was worth it. I would have 30+ cubs turn up, while most packs had about 8-10. Envious looks all around!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    I always got 90% of my cubs to attend both St Georges Parade and Remembrance Service. Any cub who attended both got a free sleepover at the cub hut, with a film, popcorn, and a trip to the chippy. Plus they would get a badge for each event. It used to cost me 100 or so per year, but the being the biggest cub pack at the St Georges District Parade was worth it. I would have 30+ cubs turn up, while most packs had about 8-10. Envious looks all around!
    So - the Cub who has to go on holiday with his parents, or attend Granny's birthday party, or can't get to the parade because the parents are at work or it's Dad's turn to have them miss out on a big reward. How meaningful that attendance is and what resentment you must create in families....

As district, I set no store whatsoever by the biggest pack, I judge by #YP, #leaders, Programme, award scheme, holding numbers to upper and lower sections, activities, waiting list, nights away. And there's not always a correlation between those factors and turn out at St G either.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

big chris (14-04-2019),BigBadBaloo (14-04-2019),boballan (14-04-2019),mang21 (15-04-2019),shiftypete (14-04-2019)

Thanks
    Not sure that is quite in the spirit or intent of those particular events and I am afraid I find that completely wrong on just so many levels and may go some way in partially explaining why you are no longer a leader in TSA.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

mang21 (15-04-2019),revoda (29-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    So - the Cub who has to go on holiday with his parents, or attend Granny's birthday party, or can't get to the parade because the parents are at work or it's Dad's turn to have them miss out on a big reward. How meaningful that attendance is and what resentment you must create in families.....
    I remember as a Scout in the school Troop having to go and see the headmaster because my dad had written to the school explaining that I would not be attending the annual church parade as we had an important family event. He expressed his disapproval and I did not have the nerve to ask him how he actually expected me to change the situation. It certainly does cause resentment.

Thanks
    Were you doing it for them or for the benefit of your own ego ? I've not been for the last 2 years as I've been running the London Marathon instead (a good enough reason ), but there is no parade in our District this year as apparently 2018 was an utter shambles.

Thanks
    We used to do a free item from the provi for those who attended- but it wasnt really a bribe to turn up, because we never announced it beforehand, just dished it out after. I find Bernwoods approach rather extreme and not how I would go on.

Having said that, for remembrance day I have always said I expect you to be there, and our joining pack mentions this as well - in fact its the only event the whole year that is 'compulsory'. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Our SGD used to be a parade then an incredibly boring/religious thing in which the kids had no interest whatsoever. Thabkfully it eventually died out and they changed it to an event where all sections take part in some activity around a theme. It was excellent. But after a few years that fizzled out, I imagine it was a lot to organise. So now we have no SGD at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    This year our annual District St Georges day takes the format of a parade, followed by a service at a local leisure centre.
    This year it falls on the last weekend of the School Easter holidays, and we have exactly zero Scouts attending (set it up as an event in OSM - OSm reports zero and plenty of not attending resposnes) , despite e-mails letters etc being sent out.
    Just got a feeling that we will be moaned at again for not supporting the District
    District is there to support Groups and whilst it is nice to support the support body in their efforts, they should be arranging things that Groups want and need.

This event should be like any other those that WANT to go can go. Not everyone will ever be able to attend nor want to or should be 'made' to.

The District in which I live rather than Scout had theirs yesterday to avoid Easter. My own District will have theirs the week after Easter. My Group are not attending again.

- - - Updated - - -

I would never bribe kids to attend any event. They should want to go and if they don't or cant then this should not happen.

If this is what you have to do to show that you are the biggest and best, then I'm sorry but you are not.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (15-04-2019),PaulArthurs (15-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    If that's their attitude...stuff 'em. That's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    District is there to support Groups and whilst it is nice to support the support body in their efforts, they should be arranging things that Groups want and need.
    What he said.

We'll be at family camp as per, the explorers camp as a family, and while it's not to everyone's taste, it's usually a good craic.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,626 Posts
    This year will be the first that we have not done anything for SGD. Many of the Navs are on holiday, and the last time we did SGD during the Easter holiday the turn out was about 30% and t wasn't really as good as normal. We actually had a request to "delay" the event from one older Nav who is on Holiday - and believe it or not, would rather be doing Navs than lying in the sun in Spain!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Funny how in all the talk of Youth Shape etc, dragooning kids to turn up to dull parades "just because" is still alive and kicking in some districts. If kids don't want to be there, then look at what you are putting on and how you are explaining it. I'd hope that Remembrance Day is an easier one to explain as being more of a duty to be there than a fun day, but I'm afraid I really don't see the point of St Georges day parades. Thankfully our district has binned them in favour of a fun day out - otherwise I'd not even be there let alone the kids!

Maybe in Richard's case - this unfortunate coincidence of Easter weekend and St George's day, might prompt such a low turnout across the district that the concept is reworked for the future. We can but hope!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (15-04-2019),ianw (15-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,626 Posts
    We only ever did two SGD "parades", for the rest of the years we ran a hike camp with a family meal - some years our numbers exceeded the District SGD Parade.

We have continued that tradition, no point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, until this year. We will be back with an event next year though.

(I do wish that the religious bods would stabilise the date of Easter. It cannot be beyond the ken of modern mathematicians to work out the date... It would make life a lot simpler for us heathens...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (15-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    (I do wish that the religious bods would stabilise the date of Easter. It cannot be beyond the ken of modern mathematicians to work out the date... It would make life a lot simpler for us heathens...
    They do. It is stable. Easter is always the third Sunday in the paschal lunar month. It's totally stable in the lunar calendar. I don't know what your problem is.

Or if you want to bring your heathen Gregorian calendar into it...the paschal lunar month, or Easter-month is the first one in the year to have its fourteenth day (its formal full moon) on or after 21 March. Easter is the Sunday after its 14th day (or, saying the same thing, the Sunday within its third week).

If you want the full gore...and it's amazing...wikipedia comes up trumps...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus

Cold comfort, at least it looks like it won't clash with a weekend St. Georges thing again until 2025, then 2030.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    My District runs a "standard" SGD parade through the town to a large church. It is very poplular with all the Groups represented and hundreds of kids. We don't put any 3-line whips on them to come and we usually get over 60% turnout.

This year will be a bit lower I would think due to the Easter holidays but that's just the luck of the draw. We have considered "other things" but no one has managed to come up with anything that has quite the same sense of occasion.

We could do a camp but we can do those any time of the year.

Its been suggested we shouldn't do the church bit but there is nowhere within a sensible distance that could cope with our numbers. There are some schools but they are not in the town centre and the roads to get to them couldn't be closed off so that would kill off the parade element. Anyway who wants to go to school for an extra day?

Realistically it is the only chance we get for a "Grand Parade" so it we dropped it for something else then the YPs would lose the chance of the experience. As the numbers are always good then it must be popular.

Long may it continue
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    We too have a traditional parade, through the centre of Exeter to the Cathedral. We don't bribe the kids, we don't go heavy on them to come, it's just on the programme and mostly they try to come to stuff on our programme. We usually get about 75% turn-up to SGD. I've just had a look at numbers for last year - we had 66% come but there was a lot missing from the Monday meeting the day after for illness and being away, and SGD was attended by 85% of the kids who came to Cubs next day. Just think, if we'd resorted to bribery we could have been all smug about having 3 or 4 more.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (28-04-2019)