Thread: Group emails with G Suite

Thanks

Group emails with G Suite

Hello,

Has anyone set up emails for a group with G Suite so we can use our own domain name? I am looking into it at the moment but don't know if my group needs to register as a charity or if we can piggyback of TSA in terms of registering with tt-exchange.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,252 Posts
    [QUOTE=Jack Furby;463255]Has anyone set up emails for a group with G Suite so we can use our own domain name? I am looking into it at the moment but don't know if my group needs to register as a charity or if we can piggyback of TSA in terms of registering with tt-exchange.[/QUOTE]

You can't ever use TSA's charity number for anything as you are a separate charity. However I believe they accept a Gift Aid registration number if you are not a registered charity as a Group.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

Jack Furby (19-04-2019)

Thanks
    Yes we use this for all our group adults. We are not a charity but had to give our Gift Aid Reg number and explained in a letter that we fell under the umbrella of our District supported by our District chairman.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dsheehan For This Useful Post:

Jack Furby (19-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,572 Posts
    [QUOTE=dsheehan;463258]Yes we use this for all our group adults. We are not a charity but had to give our Gift Aid Reg number and explained in a letter that we fell under the umbrella of our District supported by our District chairman.[/QUOTE]

I think... the best wording is that you are an autonomous charitable body, and a member of the Scout Association. Financially, the District has nothing to do with your group.

I always stressed the autonomy of the group in any business matters, because some people get very confused when you mention other elements of the Scouting hierarchy. Mind you, we were a registered charity.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Jack Furby (19-04-2019)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=dsheehan;463258]Yes we use this for all our group adults. We are not a charity but had to give our Gift Aid Reg number and explained in a letter that we fell under the umbrella of our District supported by our District chairman.[/QUOTE]

How is your Group not a charity?

I think you mean your Group is not a Registered Charity.

Paul

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks

All Scout Groups are charities, either registered or excepted:

https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/1578/registering-as-a-charity

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

Jack Furby (19-04-2019)

Thanks
    Alright you pedantic lot. I was pointing out how we got round not being a "registered" charity! We are of course an excepted charity, as many groups are.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Objection. Not "pedantic" but correcting a factual inaccuracy.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 786 Posts

I registered our Group for free Gsuite using our HMRC registration number and the registration letter from registering for gift aid as proof of charitable status, I never mentioned anything to do with District or any other Charity and it was a smooth and easy process. Gsuite which comes with free domain emails (you do need a website domain first but its dirt cheap to register .org.uk domains) which are basically gmail accounts so we now can have any @falkonerscouts.org.uk email address we like. We also use the free google drive to share documents containing non personal information such as programme ideas, camp planning docs etc etc.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 19-04-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Jack Furby (19-04-2019)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Jack Furby;463255]Hello,

Has anyone set up emails for a group with G Suite so we can use our own domain name? I am looking into it at the moment but don't know if my group needs to register as a charity or if we can piggyback of TSA in terms of registering with tt-exchange.[/QUOTE]

You can add multiple domains, we have one for the district, and I have our group domain with it also

Ultimately it depends on your setup, and your relationship with District. IMHO its a better use of people with technical know how.

Cant answer the other part, as we are in Scotland, and have our own charity registration