Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The horrible jumble sale thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    (I totally agree with your last line there, I think I might put it like that to the committee when we next meet...)
    Don't know if it would help much but I thought interesting nonetheless, our county undertook a subs survey of groups and published the headline figures. Interesting to see the variation across the county but obviously the context to the figures is missing (own hall vs rented etc).

http://www.norfolkscouts.org.uk/2019...survey-results
    James

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Don't know if it would help much but I thought interesting nonetheless, our county undertook a subs survey of groups and published the headline figures. Interesting to see the variation across the county but obviously the context to the figures is missing (own hall vs rented etc).

http://www.norfolkscouts.org.uk/2019...survey-results
    that is utterly pointless without context...

like asking how much a person pays for food in their household but not asking how many people live in the house!

apart from the takeaway that some poor leaders are taking money weekly!

Thanks
    I know - hence my comment about the context being missing. I just thought it might help with the exec and any thoughts of "would anyone even pay X amount".
    James

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (26-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    that is utterly pointless without context...

like asking how much a person pays for food in their household but not asking how many people live in the house!

apart from the takeaway that some poor leaders are taking money weekly!
    I'm not so sure that it is utterly pointless.

There is an inherrent attitude in many in scouting/ wodcraft folk etc., that we cannot increase costs. It could be useful to know that others manage charging a higher rate - even just if to open discussion.

Without knowing the context, £1.40 seems to me to be ludicrously low and unsustanable...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I'm not so sure that it is utterly pointless.

There is an inherrent attitude in many in scouting/ wodcraft folk etc., that we cannot increase costs. It could be useful to know that others manage charging a higher rate - even just if to open discussion.

Without knowing the context, £1.40 seems to me to be ludicrously low and unsustanable...
    I bet they charge AMS on top once per year. And take in extra here and there to cover materials for activities etc.

So they actually charge more but it doesn't show.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    I bet they charge AMS on top once per year. And take in extra here and there to cover materials for activities etc.

So they actually charge more but it doesn't show.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Propably.

I was on the EF Group on FB... someone was complaining about lack of funds. They charged £1 per week. I suggested looking at their costs, dividing that by their membership and set a fee accordingly. I got shot down in flames. That happens in Scouts too though.

In the same discussion, people complained about not getting funding - apparently their central fund has closed. I pointed out some simply routes to accessing funding. Applications that take no more than a letter to a local funder - and there are lots of them around. The same complainant bitched that she didn't have time. So, she didn't charge enough, and wouldn't ask for more, complained about the lack of funding but wouldn't ask.

When I suggested that perhaps she was undervaluing what she was doing, I had to leave the group. I had questioned the dogma of the WF and that was unacceptable.

Oddly, I'd been there before... One day I'll learn not to offer help - even if it is asked for.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Photos here https://www.facebook.com/pg/longniddryscouts - of the sale.

Just happy that it's over.

As usual, the arranged access to the recycling centre wasn't quite as arranged as it might have been - we had to sort several van-loads of crap into skips. Every year they say we can just tip, but we never end up doing it.

Total so far is about £3k, but once the clothes get ragged and we get the dribs and drabs in, it'll creep up to £3.5k.

Wasn't as busy this year, but that didn't seem to matter. We kept a few things back to sell on gumtree/marketplace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ianw (29-04-2019)

Thanks
    Final on-the-day total was £3346.62. Items we didn't sell/skip on the day are up for sale here and there...

For your perusal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273826271569

Other items include fishing gear, a remote controlled airplane, we also have bikes, games consoles and other electronica on Facebook Market Place. Hopefully at least get up above the £3.5k mark at least...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Photos here https://www.facebook.com/pg/longniddryscouts - of the sale.

Just happy that it's over.

As usual, the arranged access to the recycling centre wasn't quite as arranged as it might have been - we had to sort several van-loads of crap into skips. Every year they say we can just tip, but we never end up doing it.

Total so far is about £3k, but once the clothes get ragged and we get the dribs and drabs in, it'll creep up to £3.5k.

Wasn't as busy this year, but that didn't seem to matter. We kept a few things back to sell on gumtree/marketplace.
    I am at a loss as to how you manage to turn that pile of crap into £3.5k

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    You, me and everyone else involved.

Thanks
    Having watched far too many “up cycling” programmes on tv (blame it on not being allowed out 1 week in 3), I can well believe people are willing to pay what to me seems well over the odds for “tat”.

Some old metal shelving, an old rotten door, some effort and hey presto, a cupboard that I might just about give garage room to selling for £500.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I am at a loss at Pa bringing in £3,500 from selling tat, and he is bitching about it - That buys our week's accommodation for 2019 - even at Scottish prices!

Put the idea of reviving the Jumble Sale to my Committee last night - it was a unanimous "No Way!!!"
    Ewan Scott

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (30-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    Having watched far too many “up cycling” programmes on tv (blame it on not being allowed out 1 week in 3), I can well believe people are willing to pay what to me seems well over the odds for “tat”.

Some old metal shelving, an old rotten door, some effort and hey presto, a cupboard that I might just about give garage room to selling for £500.
    Interestingly enough (okay, it's not), but we're probably going to stop taking furniture because it just doesn't sell. We had maybe three or four single club type chairs, of which 2 sold. The rest (plus four sofas which got snuck in), went to the tip.

We don't take CRT monitors or TV's any more, but people occasionally leave them at our front door, (not appreciated). And this year, someone from the village we know turned up with two massive leather sofas we knew we wouldn't be able to sell, but he was there with them in a van. Saying no to them, in terms of fostering good will, is probably not good.

All I can say is, otherwise, we're really not picky. I think it's purely quantity. I think others who do jumble sales (those that haven't stopped) are trying to only take in things they think will sell well and for higher prices. I don't think that works. You either go big with your jumble sale, or, ummm, go home... Or something...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I am at a loss at Pa bringing in £3,500 from selling tat, and he is bitching about it - That buys our week's accommodation for 2019 - even at Scottish prices!

Put the idea of reviving the Jumble Sale to my Committee last night - it was a unanimous "No Way!!!"
    Your committee I think have the right idea.

All I would say is, this year's sale was much quieter, and with less stuff (which is relative really - there was still a lot of stuff), but it still brought the cash in.

I was speaking to folks forking on stalls, the lady that does our accounts is also a bit stumped as to the how of it. She said this year she looked at books, and thought we could probably not bother with those - the income from them is low and they're super heavy and we only ever sell maybe 25% of what we get in. (And why people hand in millions of back copies of Farmer's Weekly or Diecast Model Expert is beyond me - this stuff never sells, just recycle it folks.) She went on to the shoe stall thinking it would be slow - apparently not, it was super busy and took in a couple of hundred alone.

She also said, we didn't really need to do jumble sales. Subs and hall hires were enough to keep things ticking over. But if we wanted to keep the minibus (or a minibus), and keep on with hall upgrades and offering wee extras to the kids during camps etc, then it would need to stay. She also went on to say how important she thought it was in terms of building confidence among the young folk - and how it's a bit of an eye opener for a bunch of quite middle class kids who think everyone lives life like they do.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (30-04-2019),big chris (30-04-2019),Bushfella (30-04-2019),shiftypete (30-04-2019)

Thanks
    Your committee I think have the right idea.

She also said, we didn't really need to do jumble sales. ....
    Actually I think that's true for most groups. Assuming a group of 100 that's around £4 per month extra on subs which probably wouldn't be the end of the world round here where Subs are up to £220/year and normally paid by monthly bank transfer. If you have the FR sub-committee effort to do the work then why wouldn't you? But if it lands on the leaders shoulders, or the jumble is taking a significant amount of your storage space I'd have to ask why you'd bother. One of our groups has a boat jumble which always raises thousands - but then that's less effort, and high value items (often dinghies or equipment donated because the owners would rather see it go to a good cause than a few hundred in their pocket), it's also in a rich yachty area where people can afford to give away that kind of stuff.