Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The horrible jumble sale thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Actually I think that's true for most groups. Assuming a group of 100 that's around £4 per month extra on subs which probably wouldn't be the end of the world round here where Subs are up to £220/year and normally paid by monthly bank transfer. If you have the FR sub-committee effort to do the work then why wouldn't you? But if it lands on the leaders shoulders, or the jumble is taking a significant amount of your storage space I'd have to ask why you'd bother. One of our groups has a boat jumble which always raises thousands - but then that's less effort, and high value items (often dinghies or equipment donated because the owners would rather see it go to a good cause than a few hundred in their pocket), it's also in a rich yachty area where people can afford to give away that kind of stuff.
    Our group is a lot smaller than that, and we don't charge any where near that amount for subs.

It goes without saying, (although I've said it often enough), I don't like jumble sales. The true reason I don't like them is down to how they have to be structured if they are to work - the double handling, the absolute bother of moving stuff around, the sheer quantity, the tidying up and on and on.

But...

I really do think it's how a group should run. We bemoan the notion that kids get things handed to them on a plate, that parents just pay for things to happen or facilitate activities to which the kids go - never really understanding the cost and effort that goes into making it all happen. And that we often bemoan the notion that Scouts is just childcare - which if parents just pay for it and they and their kids do very little else - it kind of is...

At that last weekend away, I was explaining to one of the kids how much the trip was costing, how much we paid for the ferry tickets and the bike hire, and he at one point just looked at me and asked, 'why are you telling me this?' I was telling him so he could know a little of the cost and effort involved.

Leaders have always done jumble sales, it's just always been that way, but we also get a lot of support from parents and the jumble crowd - in which regard, it's really good PR for the group. Plus, we make sure our leaders enjoy scouting. It's not just some demi-job, it's an enjoyable, sociable hobby. So for them (us) it's also worth doing for more than just the money.

Ewan talks about esprit de corps every now and again. I think that's really important. And I think we at least have a touch of it these days.

But it is a lot of work. But then, maybe that's as it should be.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (30-04-2019),johnL (30-04-2019),shiftypete (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Oh please donít stop your jumble sales. Not for all the laudable reasons above, but itís great to follow your posts on the event each year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BalooNav For This Useful Post:

Dr_Pepper (30-04-2019),ianw (30-04-2019),pa_broon74 (30-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Sort of related, here's a new variation I saw...

2nd hand bike scooter and pram sale...the scouts take 20% of every sale. Not sure how it's policed or organised but an interesting idea...

http://www.1stoxtedscouts.com/2018/0...h-master-park/

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Possibly the same principle that NCT sales of baby stuff are run on - you hand your stuff in labelled with your ID etc at the start of the sale, the volunteers sell it at the price you've suggested, and collect the money alongside the label - gets processed after the sale with the seller getting sent the balance of money after the commission is deducted.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 847 Posts
    We tried table sales... (Sellers paid a flat rate for a table, we provided the venue and advertising.)

It didn't really work.

Also did book sales with left over books, coupled with tea/coffee and cake...

That didn't really work either.

You just need to collect junk - and lots of it. Pile it high and sell it cheap...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Possibly the same principle that NCT sales of baby stuff are run on - you hand your stuff in labelled with your ID etc at the start of the sale, the volunteers sell it at the price you've suggested, and collect the money alongside the label - gets processed after the sale with the seller getting sent the balance of money after the commission is deducted.
    Waves ex-NCT flag. Ex-volunteer, ex-trustee, ex-member of staff.

There are lots of varieties on NCT Nearly New Sales.

Some are run as table top sales

Some are run as ticketed sales. They are harder work, but can bring in more funds.

Sellers pay to register. Sellers bring stuff on the morning if the sale. They have labelled with the selling amount and sellers number. Volunteers sort it so it sort of resembles a shop layout.

Buyers choose their items, much like in a shop. They pay at the tills. There is no bartering as the seller is not involved and there is no authority to reduce the sale price.

At the end of the sale the remaining items are sorted into sellers again and the sellers take home the unsold bits. So nothing to store or throw away.

The split is calculated post sale. Some have 70:30 with the sellers receiving 70%. Some have capped amounts for big items, e.g. a posh pushchair going for £200 will result in a lot of commission. But it could be a flat £10.

NCT had produced a few internet based gismos to help. But it still needed a large tram of volunteers to make it work. And a treasurer who had a few hours to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (01-05-2019)