Thread: Swiss Pace

Thanks

Swiss Pace

I was reading an interesting history of Scouting in our corner of the world and I came across this reference.

“Iori visited Kandersteg in Switzerland twice, the first was a “pilot” in 1936 in preparation for taking a group of 21 Scouts the following year. On their way home in 1936 they stopped in Paris to see the exhibition and watched television for the very first time! Hugh J Jones (Later CC) went to Kandersteg with Iori. He had been a Lieutenant in the SW Borderers and gassed in WW1, and had lung damage and so had difficulty climbing. A Dr Schwarz took them up the Gemmi Pass. They saw some Girl Guides using the “Swiss Pace” and they learnt how to do it – “ even HJ!” Hence forward Eryri Scouts used the Swiss Pace”

I seem to remember Swiss pace was run so many steps then walk so many steps. Anybody got a better memory than me?

If you are interested the full document can be found here: http://www.scoutscymru.org.uk/sites/...a_anglesey.pdf
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing that - I was at university at Bangor, and also spend a fair amount of time near Fairbourne so it's fascinating to read the history in those areas
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 802 Posts
    Interesting I have always heard this called Scout Pace but evidently we in Scouting stole the idea from elsewhere

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

zzbuckley (07-05-2019)

Thanks
    I too remember that as Scout pace. I think it was mentioned in Scouting for Boys. Whether Swiss pace is the same or one is modified from the other I don’t know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

zzbuckley (07-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks. Just done a tiny bit more research.

“Scout’s pace is a way of covering large distances on foot. You don’t run all the way, because it’s too far and you’d die. You don’t walk all the way, because that’s too slow and you wouldn’t get there on time.

Instead, you run for, say, 100 steps, then walk for 100 steps,then you run for 100 steps, and keep going. You don’t sprint, you just sort of jog along. “

“Apparently invented by Baden-Powell after watching how Zulus traversed long distances in South Africa. He introduced the idea into the Boy Scouts movement - and one Scout test was to travel 1 mile in 12 minutes ( that's 7:30 mins per klm) and equates to a 10K in 75 minutes or a HM in 2hrs 35 minutes. Of course after 21 klms, if you are emulating the Zulus, you will then be expected to engage the "enemy" , so you need to have plenty of strength!”

This sounds like a test we could revive with a more contemporary name - Hammock to 5k?!”

https://researchinsiders.blog/2015/04/10/scouts-pace/

https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k...oy-scouts-pace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that - I was at university at Bangor, and also spend a fair amount of time near Fairbourne so it's fascinating to read the history in those areas
    Always welcome to visit @Mang. We have a greenfield campsite on the island and Bangor is still here!
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zzbuckley For This Useful Post:

crisolin (07-05-2019)

Thanks
    Probably not too dissimilar to something which is a known technique in long distance running - referred to as "Jeffing". Its not about using bad language to keep you going but about a structured way of managing energy so that you only run for as long as your body can cope with before it starts hitting the point where its not able to replenish muscle supplies as fast as you are using it. The name comes from Jeff Galloway who is an exponent of this technique - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Steve - I'll bear that in mind, I must be due a visit that far up at some point, nearest we've got recently is the Surf Snowdonia facility which we'll be visiting again in a few weeks time.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Back in the Napoleonic wars the light infantry (the rifles) had a pace which was march five paces, double time five paces allowing them to cover distance faster than other regiments (much faster as the light infantry standard pace was 140 per min compared to 120 per min for a normal regiment).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    I also went to Bangor uni!
    Went back a year or so ago - can’t believe how much had changed in the town, but the hills up to halls or Safeway’s supermarket. Glanrafon and Lonpobty if I recall (apologies for spellings!).
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Yes the hills are still there and your spelling is mostly correct

If you fancy bringing the gang down there’s Clogwyn in Port Penryn or we are developing a green field campsite near LLangefni.

https://mwscouts.org/activity-centre...tivity-centre/
    https://talwrnscoutcampsite.cymru/

(Btw I am ex 30th Bradford East (St James) in West Yorkshire - small world! )
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbuckley View Post
    Yes the hills are still there and your spelling is mostly correct

If you fancy bringing the gang down there’s Clogwyn in Port Penryn or we are developing a green field campsite near LLangefni.

https://mwscouts.org/activity-centre...tivity-centre/
    https://talwrnscoutcampsite.cymru/

(Btw I am ex 30th Bradford East (St James) in West Yorkshire - small world! )
    Your name rings a bell with me too ever since I saw it on here, but I have never been in a Bradford District but was Bingley many years ago. But don't recollect where I recognise your name from.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Interesting I have always heard this called Scout Pace but evidently we in Scouting stole the idea from elsewhere
    As have I.
    Last edited by Ian Mallett; 17-05-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire