Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beta website

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Andrew Rush;463701]I know that Rachel Davidson for one is an experienced leader and has several current roles.[/QUOTE]

I think there are two sets of tests required - one is possibly easier than the other!

Firstly, does the site work, do the links go to the right places, do the breadcrumbs work correctly, etc.

Secondly, is the information right - this is much harder because you need people who know POR and reality well. It also needs good discipline to prevent opinion or local rules slipping in. Some of the material suggests that the authors did not have that good knowledge of the movement and had either copied wrong content or had asked people and misinterpreted the answers.

A challenge!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (16-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 803 Posts
    I have just emailed them pointing out the error on the Explorer page ststing Explorers are part of Scout Groups ;)
    Last edited by shiftypete; 16-05-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    [QUOTE=shiftypete;463703]I have just emailed them pointing out the error on the Explorer page ststing Explorers are part of Scotu Groups ;)[/QUOTE]

That is a pretty generic "error" in content. Some of the pages also refer to Network being part of the Group (or did if they have not corrected).
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Yes I suspect its a simple copy and paste from other Sections issue but one that really shouldn't have been made by anyone who knows anything about how Explorers and Network actually works

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    I *nearly* sent feedback that their "find my nearest scouts" thing better have Explorers and Network in it this time! But decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and not start commenting on future things.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ianw;463707]I *nearly* sent feedback that their "find my nearest scouts" thing better have Explorers and Network in it this time! But decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and not start commenting on future things.[/QUOTE]

It also needs to have useful contact details on the find my nearest Scouts thing. Its utterly pointless all joining enquiries for an entire County being directed to one person. Some way of Groups and Units being able to log in and update their contact details with the County contact details being the intitial default would work. Either that or pull the data direct from Compass but that would take integration with another system so unlikely (oh and I have just realised that even as a GSL I don't have the right to edit our Group's details in Compass )
    Last edited by shiftypete; 16-05-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

big chris (16-05-2019),dralphs (17-05-2019)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=shiftypete;463714]It also needs to have useful contact details on the find my nearest Scouts thing. Its utterly pointless all joining enquiries for an entire County being directed to one person. Some way of Groups and Units being able to log in and update their contact details with the County contact detaisl beign the intitial default would work. Either that or pll the data direct from Compass but that would take integration with another system so unlikely (oh and I have just realised that even as a GSL I don't have the right to edit our Group's details in Compass )[/QUOTE]

Whilst I agree it would be infinitely better for this to be updatable one way or another on Compass, this is actually somewhat possible now but needs to be given the nod by your County. Our district requested County/Gilwell to change the contact person for all its groups and they did.
    James