Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tale of two scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    You say that but Cambridge Skip for one has had effective PLs with the current age range as they have been able to run patrol camps on NA passports so its evidently possible still although I accept it is harder now. However think the way we were going we would have ended up with young PLs anyway as ost of the older kids would have left.
    I get that, I have a couple too, but it's much harder work for them and for us. It's not even just that they're younger, it's that other thing about some kids just being a lot less confident or canny than before.

My question is still the same though, did any one do any research into why kids were leaving early?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    My question is still the same though, did any one do any research into why kids were leaving early?
    Out of the 1200 kids surveyed 1050 answered 'dunno', 90 said 'might come back', 60 said 'whatever'.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (22-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Out of the 1200 kids surveyed 1050 answered 'dunno', 90 said 'might come back', 60 said 'whatever'.
    Heh! That sounds about right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I get that, I have a couple too, but it's much harder work for them and for us. It's not even just that they're younger, it's that other thing about some kids just being a lot less confident or canny than before.

One day I'm going to camp next to Cambridge Skip, and watch and learn. However, I'd agree that the changes were tough on Troops that did not have retention issues, even though they addressed widespread issues across the SA, and changed what you could do. As I've commented elsewhere, we lost not only the 14+s who suddenly found themselves moved up, but the next lot (who should have become PLs) as well. We weren't really able to explain that, other than that maybe they weren't ready to become what they had seen the 15+s be, but we basically just had to rebuild.

We try hard to keep the Patrol system going, but we're not as good as Cambridge Skip. There again, BP apparently said that 18 Scouts was enough, and maybe someone twice as good as him could manage 36, which loads here will be doing. Great support from County in organising Patrol events over the years, too.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    One day I'm going to camp next to Cambridge Skip, and watch and learn. However, I'd agree that the changes were tough on Troops that did not have retention issues, even though they addressed widespread issues across the SA, and changed what you could do. As I've commented elsewhere, we lost not only the 14+s who suddenly found themselves moved up, but the next lot (who should have become PLs) as well. We weren't really able to explain that, other than that maybe they weren't ready to become what they had seen the 15+s be, but we basically just had to rebuild.

We try hard to keep the Patrol system going, but we're not as good as Cambridge Skip. There again, BP apparently said that 18 Scouts was enough, and maybe someone twice as good as him could manage 36, which loads here will be doing. Great support from County in organising Patrol events over the years, too.
    Before anyone gets too carried away that I somehow have the perfect troop....

Yes we have used nights away passports in the past (not for a couple of years, kids havent' been ready) and yes we do try and use the patrol system as much as possible and get the PLC to make decisions. Don't think for a moment though that things are anywhere near perfect. And it varies week to week, hour to hour.

Our last camp a few weeks ago the Friday night was brilliant. No more than the odd nudge needed "are you really putting that tent there?" and the like. All went smoothly. Sunday morning different story. Needed lots of adult input. They were tired, and a bit confused and thought seemed to be beyond them! That's how it goes.

Regarding the current age ranges, I am all for it.

yes it makes running the scout section harder. But I was a scout and a Venture scout in the late 90s. Some may look on that time with rose tinted specs but things were going hill rapidly and something had to give. Venture units were not working. My unit basically lost anyone aged 17/18 from Easter time in their upper sixth as A levels kicked in then they went to university. 18/19/20 year old venture scouts were essentially non existent. Similarly at scout age the 15 year olds did not want to hang around with 10 and 11 year olds. I was tired of it by the time I moved on and would have jumed sooner if given the option.

My venture unit, just as I was hitting my A levels, was part of the official pilot of explorers. We were allowed to take 14 year olds and it worked straight away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (30-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    My venture unit, just as I was hitting my A levels, was part of the official pilot of explorers. We were allowed to take 14 year olds and it worked straight away.
    At least now we know who to blame.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org