Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Scout Leader alert...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Let's not frighten off the new guy (hello Wilkibob! Welcome to Escouts!) with yet another thread sidetracked to yet another Explorer debate!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Let's not frighten off the new guy (hello Wilkibob! Welcome to Escouts!) with yet another thread sidetracked to yet another Explorer debate!
    oops!

i missed it was this thread.

Find your joy. Scouting should bring you joy. After a day at work, a night at the scout hut should make you happy and be a real break. It's not that difficult. Fire, scavenger hunt, bamboo towers, silly water games, movie making... that is a half term that would work for me... what would do it for you?

it won't always work... and sometimes it works by accident... "oh sod it, let's go to the park..." 2 hours later, they are still in the playground and 2 have been sick on the roundabout. you will never had so much fun, nor will they have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 810 Posts
    Don't think you have to know it all or be able to do it all to be a good Leader. I have been at this 15+ years now and I still learn new things or work out how to do something better than I did before.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Bit dull I know, but you will need some equipment to run a programme - balls, maps, compasses, rope, pioneering poles, tents... - obv. I don't know what your group has already; hopefully your Group has an Exec, they need to support you with some money... Good luck
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to johnL For This Useful Post:

big chris (30-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    Bit dull I know, but you will need some equipment to run a programme - balls, maps, compasses, rope, pioneering poles, tents... - obv. I don't know what your group has already; hopefully your Group has an Exec, they need to support you with some money... Good luck
    This is important. You must have a budget to spend. You must have access to the equipment and know how to go about getting new stuff for your programme. You need keys to the hut. You need to know how to get help if your are short. (is there a leaders WhatsApp group?)

The practicalities are vital.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

johnL (31-05-2019),shiftypete (30-05-2019)

Thanks
    Be prepared for evenings to fail, even after 15 years as a leader team we sometimes have an evening that fails and has to be abandoned after 1/2 an hour. I was taught to have an "Aunt Sally Bag" (comes from some children's story reference that I can't remember) that contains a number of items that can be used to keep Scouts occupied for the odd hour or so.

My Aunt Sally Bag has things like packs of cards, a blow up beach ball, balloons, fold up frisbee, a collection of dog toys and a copy of an old Scout Games book. With these you can devise simple silly games to keep them occupied.

A staple favorite of my troop is the Trading Post Game which results in a fun and frantic evening. Try list link for an official version https://members.scouts.org.uk/pol/do...ment.do?id=202 - ours has lots of tasks such as cartoon drawings of leaders, poem writing, eating 3 cream crackers in a minutes without a glass of water. Once you have it prepared it can be used every couple of months with just a few tweeks to keep it fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    It is a shame when promised help doesn't materialise and a unit has to close, but surely if these were explorers shouldn't they have been organising the weekly programme and camp planning with only encouragement and oversight from the adult unit leader? That is certainly how it was in my sons unit when he was an explorer.
    It would be great if Explorers did organise themselves but in many cases they do not.

When first mooted it was stipulated that Explorers were to be Leader led and many were and are. To get them to run things takes time when first set up and lots of support and encouragement then as they get older many will rise to the challenge and then those skills are passed down but without it to start with it is difficult to start it with 16 year olds.

Thanks
    Hi guys, thanks again for all the tips. Dont worry you wont scare me off that easily and would prefer to hear the bad as well as the good

Thanks
    If your groups is not already using it, find out about Online Scout Manager OSM(https://www.onlinescoutmanager.co.uk/). The badge record recording system is worth getting started with from the start.

OSM also has lots of programme ideas that can give a good starting point for an interesting programme.

Try to give your new Scouts as much responsibility as you can, make them feel that you are doing Scouting "with them", not "to them". For example, try to get the Scouts to run as many of the games themselves rather than you always standing in the middle of the room telling them what to do.

I know that some do not like the Patrol system, but I think that it is very useful. So, I would start with the Patrol system from the very start. With 8 Scouts, you can start with 2 Patrols.

Take them on camp as soon as you can. It is the best way for them to get to know you and for you to get to know them.

Look out for opportunities to start a few "Troop Traditions" - i.e. things that make your Scouts feel that their Troop is different and personal. For instance, one of our Troops almost always wear shorts - no one can remember why, it is a Troop Tradition.

Good luck and remember that it is meant to be fun. If you are enjoying yourself, they will enjoy themselves.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (01-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,625 Posts
    My cliche... Build an esprit de corps.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

boballan (01-06-2019),hippysurfer (01-06-2019)

Thanks
    I've been on a scouting journey similar to yours, starting in a brand new group that had nothing and being part of building it up. We used a community hall and I was a beaver leader in the first section we started and had to buy kit and build a program. I very quickly learnt that you need to be enjoying it and the kids will to! Start simple and build up as you and the people/resources around you are ready. We bought basic games equipment and craft equipment to start with and did a lot with card board boxes and generally re-using what we could find which the beavers loved. (making cars for a drive in movie, making a crazy golf course etc..)

When we felt comfortable in charge of a group of kids we ventured out around the local area doing treasure hunts, playing in the woods etc.. We got some fire pits, borrowed gas burners and started cooking outdoors, pancakes, hotdogs and smoores mainly. We were invited to district events including sleepovers and built towards one of our leaders getting an indoor nights away permit. After this we could held our own sleepovers while also buying more kit each year to enable us to do more. We also held a day event for the group at a local Girl Guide centre in a big wood which was a great way to get to know the kids and leaders. Picking a day at the weekend in the summer and cooking on an open fire, doing some archery and generally running round the woods. It is now a yearly event which leaders look forward to, where all sections can get together and mix.

After a couple of years we started a cubs section and then the year after a scouts section. All the leaders came from parents of the kids and it was a struggle to get them involved. Most leaders naturally moved up sections as their kids did so, we were always looking for beaver parents to join in. I jumped from being in Beavers to the Scout section and a little while later was running the scout section. The group had built up some cash and I decided we need to run our first camp. None of our leaders had any experience of running a scout camp so there was a lot to learn. I spent 2000 on camping equipment and found some local experienced scouters to ask questions from, who were great. I got my nights away permit and we have done a couple of camps now and the kids are very keen to do more!

So that is my first 5 years of scout life and its been great, quite an adventure. My advice, you should be enjoying your time in scouts otherwise something is probably wrong and the scouts wont enjoy it so much either. Find out about and make use of local resources/scout groups/activity centres/district events/county events which will all give you good experience and make life easy to start with. Then you can plan your own events, building on the resources you have found. Start simple so everyone enjoys it and build from there.
    Last edited by adrianeaton; 03-06-2019 at 05:39 PM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to adrianeaton For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (05-06-2019),BREWBOY (05-06-2019),hippysurfer (04-06-2019),ianw (03-06-2019),johnL (03-06-2019),pa_broon74 (03-06-2019),shiftypete (03-06-2019),Wilkibob (05-06-2019)