Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Scout Leader alert...

Thanks

New Scout Leader alert...

Hi everyone,

I've been out of the scouting game for around 25 years but now my eldest is of Beaver age I have been asked if I'd like to help out. At first I was asked if I would like to help with the Beaver colony but this has now progressed into 'would you like to run the scout troop when we start it in September?'...

So, and no doubt I'll have many questions over the next couple of weeks, where do I begin with creating an enjoyable Scouting experience?

• I have my DBS in place.
    • I'm on Compass
    • I've been downloading much of the training info from the scouting website.
    • We already have Beavers and Cubs running in our group, administration should be in hand
    • I'm planning on attending a couple of evenings with local scout troops.
    • When the troop starts in September we should have around 8 Cubs ready to move up.

Any assistance/pointers/dos and donts etc would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Adam

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilkibob For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (29-05-2019),big chris (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Welcome.

Do what you are comfortable with. Be who you are. Do not try to be something that you are not. - and you will be just fine.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

boballan (31-05-2019),Wilkibob (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Do stuff that you enjoy and the scouts will follow you on the adventure

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (01-06-2019),Wilkibob (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Do what you can and don't set your expectations too high. You are on a journey, so build up slowly. Do what you enjoy and this will be passed on to the YP.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ASLChris For This Useful Post:

Wilkibob (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Let's hope you like fire and food, because they're always winners.

And no need to be an ogre, but also, don't let them take the mick because you want everyone to have a lovely time. If they need telling, they need telling. Generally it's "we're doing this, so focus on this" ie. stop ****ing around, we're not here for that, we're here to do. Very rarely a need for Shouty McShoutFace to come and spoil the mood.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Wilkibob (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Have a look at the challenge badges and nibble away at the interesting bits. In time you'll make steady progress towards chief scouts gold awards.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark W For This Useful Post:

Wilkibob (29-05-2019)

Thanks
    Not sure were you are based in the country but if possible try Scarefest at Gilwell as their first camp https://www.scarefest.org.uk/ Our Scouts usually vote it the best camp of the year.

Some troops are super organised and plan activities months in advance, others just go with the flow. There is no correct way, do what feels comfortable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Wilkibob (30-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks guys, sounds like I may be making a mountain out of a molehill and trying to complicate things too much.

Fire and food - who doesn't like those

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Wikibob,

To clarify what a few of us have said. Be yourself, do what you feel comfortable with - that does not mean avoiding new experiences - trying new stuff makes it more interesting.

You will be told "this" is how you should do things. You will be told "that" is not Scouting. The people who tell you "this and that" may well have experience, learn from it, but build your own experience - you will have an excellent time.

Have fun, be safe, be exciting.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (30-05-2019)

Thanks
    What Ewan said! /\

But also, take it slow/at your own pace. There is no need to try and "compete" with other Troops in any way - you don't need to be the most adventurous, get the most badge, do this or that or the other.

The most practical advice I can offer is this: plan what you want do in your first term so that you feel ready and prepared, but don't be too strict in your plan or expect to stick to timings (after all, no plan survives contact with Scouts). But it is a good way to help you get started - but also always have a few things up your sleeve, with a quick game or easy activity if everything goes awry.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Yeah, always have a plan B. As long as plan B isn't kick a ball about!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Grab as much help as you can,I started an Explorer group 3.5 years ago with the promise of help from other leaders a year in that help stopped.I had to sort everything from weekly programmes to camp planning single handedly(I had a young adult who turned up as my 2nd adult each week)had to stop recently as it was all too much for 1 person,unit closed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    Grab as much help as you can,I started an Explorer group 3.5 years ago with the promise of help from other leaders a year in that help stopped.I had to sort everything from weekly programmes to camp planning single handedly(I had a young adult who turned up as my 2nd adult each week)had to stop recently as it was all too much for 1 person,unit closed.
    It is a shame when promised help doesn't materialise and a unit has to close, but surely if these were explorers shouldn't they have been organising the weekly programme and camp planning with only encouragement and oversight from the adult unit leader? That is certainly how it was in my sons unit when he was an explorer.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    You would like to think so but not with mine,I lost count of how many nights we cancelled,including one over night camp and a Christmas meal because of refusal/lack of interest to help organise,in all honesty if it was left to them we wouldn't of lasted 6 months,maybe I had a lazy lot,or maybe that's the way things are heading.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    but surely if these were explorers shouldn't they have been organising the weekly programme and camp planning with only encouragement and oversight from the adult unit leader?
    nope, that was venture scouts. Explorers scouts is explicitly leader-led and it has always failed where leaders try to run a venture scout model (where you often had 19, 20, 21 year olds running programmes for 16 and 17 year olds. An explorer unit is 14-17 year olds with quite a tail off at 17 as the oldest of a cohort leaves at 18 and they sometimes all leave... or a-levels and GCSES just get in the way each year for 3 years running!)

I have seen leaders who have managed to run a unit exec etc and for a year or two, they can run a really impressive and apparently youth-led programme but it takes masses of work on their part and good leadership. It also has always failed after a while as the youngsters have changed and the model has needed to adapt to delive scouting successfully.

" Although the Explorer Scout Unit willbe leader led, young people should beinvolved in decision making as muchas possible."

FS452010 - Explorer Scout Structures
    Last edited by big chris; 30-05-2019 at 03:58 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (01-06-2019),shiftypete (30-05-2019)