Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uniform review is here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    That's also what we're aiming for, but TSA is trying to wring out of Scouts - humanity and character.
    If you mean they want a uniform Scouting - then I suspect that some have this lofty ideal and have lost sight of where Scouting came from. But there are enough people on the ground to keep it real. (Or they can come to Navs - other associations are available).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    I also abandoned the survey at 38% - too long, and too many irrelevant questions - and no way of skipping over bits I felt were irrelevant
    - I have never been involved with Air Scouts, or Sea Scouts, and I therefore don't think my views on their uniform should count
    - I do not Scout in Scotland - so why would you ask my views on the Kilt as a part of Uniform - I can just hear the howls of outrage in Scotland when a majority in England decide to dismiss it
    - I am not a woman - so don't ask a single question on both Scout skirts & trousers -- my understanding is Scout skirts are not popular

All in all a bit of a mess
    ďA week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.Ē Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh01 View Post
    "Approximately how many of the following non uniform Scout wear items does/do your child(ren) own?"

I am at 58% through and losing the will.... If anyone at TSA is reading this, this survey is *way* too long, especially if you're a leader with kids in one or more sections. You are not going to get a good (meaningful) response if you restrict this to people who struggle all the way through...
    Iím glad Iím not the only one!
    I gave up in the end. Have to pack for camp

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    There still are, though the lighter one is short sleeved.
    They are both short sleeved, but I think the lighter one is intentionally so! 😂
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

5. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    There still are, though the lighter one is short sleeved.
    Which means that there aren't now two choices of weight for the same shirt.

Thanks
    This our uniform, practical, warm and stands to anything you can throw at it.
    41437021_10156128131426359_3617285301380055040_n.jpg

Thanks
    I hope they change the colours of the Explorer and Leader shirts, they are horrible! Also agree on the fit. I was a lot slimmer when I was last in Scouting, I dread to think how the uniform is going to (barely) fit me now.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    I hope they change the colours of the Explorer and Leader shirts, they are horrible! Also agree on the fit. I was a lot slimmer when I was last in Scouting, I dread to think how the uniform is going to (barely) fit me now.
    They don't fit slim people now - in particular, the body to neck ratio is compeltely out of whack.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    OK I gave up at 38% where it asked me loads of questions about beaver and cub uniform with no option to say I am not interested. This is an invalid survey - it would be giving equal weight to people who gave any old answer to get past the page as to those who are actually interested. Has anybody complained to the info centre?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    There is plenty of room in mine for you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    It ran me innto a dead end with Cubs... Only looking at it out of curiosity - though it does ask if you were a Scouter and are now not.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Once you get past about 55% it speeds up (although that may depend on which options you have selected at the start).
    Not sure I saw the relevance of all the "personal" questions but most of the rest of it was not too bad.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (24-06-2019),shiftypete (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Just thinking, if they turn the Scout uniform into some informal hoodie type thing or whatever will they also change the Air Scout uniform?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Just thinking, if they turn the Scout uniform into some informal hoodie type thing or whatever will they also change the Air Scout uniform?
    A hoodie with wings like Buzz Lightyear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

Kev (09-06-2019),SteveF (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    This is an absolute key point that many people do not get. Specifically those who think membership will dramatically increase if the uniform is made "cooler". We were discussing uniform with my Venturers (Explorers), and one girl put it succinctly "a boy will never say anything about being in Scouts, they would be an uber nerd if they said that". The issue is not with the uniform, the kids have issue with what it represents (uber nerds). Until Scouting is viewed as cool, no uniform will ever be liked by kids outside Scouting.

We have a variety of vocational Scouting groups, essentially like the programs run by the UK St. Johns medical cadets, police cadets, fire cadets, etc. Those groups specifically do not use the Scout uniform, even though they are under the mainstream Scouting association. They each use a uniform that mirrors the adults in that field, as that is what the kids aspire to be. It is cool to be a paramedic, but not to be a Scout.

In Canada, the uniform has been changed twice in the past ten years, with many different options of tee shirts/etc., and with the specific edict that each kids decides what they want to wear and leaders do not have any say in the matter. Unsurprisingly membership has not all of a sudden skyrocketed.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Agreed. My lot aren't reluctant Explorers, and they'll "happily" wear uniform to camp, and some units are more insistent on it week to week, and are happy on camp/remembrance parades together in uniform, but as the saying goes, the nail that sticks out gets the hammer. They don't want to draw attention to themselves as "different", particularly in a school context, they don't want to be the target. Smart shirts, hoodies, polo shirts, string vests won't make a jot of difference, no matter how achingly trendy the item might be, if it's a uniform, and it tells the bullies, or the ones that gyp people about stuff, that they're part of something "other"...not keen.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Not sure why we need different uniforms for Air Scouts and Sea Scouts.

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Not sure why we need different uniforms for Air Scouts and Sea Scouts.

Paul
    As RN Sea Scouts have to meet minimum standards for their recognition they need a much different uniform to land scouts - or at least to wear it to a standard which is unrecognisable to most troops..