Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Uniform review is here

Thanks
    The last thing I need right now is the hassle of changing the uniform. What ever is chosen will never satisfy everyone and will just be a massive distraction while we try to transition to it.

We have two uniforms. The formal TSA one that is worn at section meetings when we are not planning something messy and for parades etc. And a in-formal uniform that is branded with our Group colours and logos (hoodie, cotton t-shirt). The Group "activity" uniform helps to create a loyalty to the Group and the formal uniform helps our kids feel they are part of something bigger.

If they tell us that we have to wear a TSA branded hoodie / t-shirt instead it will definately have a negative effect on retention.

I think that it is great that when we have District / County events we can see all the different groups because they are wearing their own local logos and colours. But when we are on parade or 'Sunday flag break' we look like we are all part of the same organisation.

Just leave it well alone and spend the energy on something that actually matters.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (11-06-2019),richardnhunt (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    If they tell us that we have to wear a TSA branded hoodie / t-shirt instead it will definately have a negative effect on retention.
    I agree. I think wearing a formal uniform at formal occasions (in which I include flag break and flag down) is an important part of Scouting. If TSA change the standard uniform to a hoodie, or similar, I will seriously consider changing the troop to Air Scouts (assuming their uniform hasn't been messed up).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I agree. I think wearing a formal uniform at formal occasions (in which I include flag break and flag down) is an important part of Scouting. If TSA change the standard uniform to a hoodie, or similar, I will seriously consider changing the troop to Air Scouts (assuming their uniform hasn't been messed up).
    I hope you see what your young people think before doing such a thing. I do however know of an Explorer Sea Scout Unit which is only such (it's in Bucks which is about as landlocked as you can get) because they prefer the blue uniforms!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

Kev (10-06-2019)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    As RN Sea Scouts have to meet minimum standards for their recognition they need a much different uniform to land scouts - or at least to wear it to a standard which is unrecognisable to most troops..
    I can't believe the Royal Navy - or anyone else outside Scouting - worries whether young people are wearing a jumper or a shirt. Surely it is easier to be smart wearing a shirt than a jumper.

Paul

Thanks
    As RN Sea Scouts have to meet minimum standards for their recognition they need a much different uniform to land scouts - or at least to wear it to a standard which is unrecognisable to most troops..
    What a crock of crockety stuff!!!

Unless the minimum standards state must wear a jumper and a round hat then the items of uniform are immaterial as long as they are clean and pressed.

The standards mention absolutely nothing about wearing a different uniform and focus on the programme and badge attainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Over the years I've seen a large number of changes including uniform where many leaders claimed it would finish them off. Apart from the compulsory introduction of girls I can't recall any which resulted in significant, or indeed any, departures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    I can't believe the Royal Navy - or anyone else outside Scouting - worries whether young people are wearing a jumper or a shirt. Surely it is easier to be smart wearing a shirt than a jumper.

Paul
    Ha- I thought that as soon as I'd sent the post, but haven't got round to deleting it yet....

Thanks
    ..... Surely it is easier to be smart wearing a shirt than a jumper.

Paul
    Nah - trust me. It is massively easy to be smart in an oversized blue jumper. No worries about untucked/uniorned shirts etc. We have an easy life is Sea Scouting (and I want to keep it!!)

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why we need different uniforms for Air Scouts and Sea Scouts.

Paul
    Because we have a distinct tradition that dates back to around 1909. As BP said, not all good scouting looks the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go - first few seconds...https://youtu.be/DvpiZfpooWE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

johnL (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Nah - trust me. It is massively easy to be smart in an oversized blue jumper. No worries about untucked/uniorned shirts etc. We have an easy life is Sea Scouting (and I want to keep it!!).....
    Our Sea Scouts wear blue shirts and naval hats...
    Last edited by RisingStar; 14-06-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Our Sea Scouts wear blue shirts and naval hats...
    They should see the light.....