Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uniform review is here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,260 Posts

Uniform review is here

I've put us adults down for "pastel" hues, and Explorers for black, black, BLACK!

scouts.org.uk/whatwewear
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    black, black, BLACK!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

ianw (05-06-2019)

Thanks
    It's a monster survey!

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    It's a monster survey!
    "Approximately how many of the following non uniform Scout wear items does/do your child(ren) own?"

I am at 58% through and losing the will.... If anyone at TSA is reading this, this survey is *way* too long, especially if you're a leader with kids in one or more sections. You are not going to get a good (meaningful) response if you restrict this to people who struggle all the way through...

Thanks
    I thought it asked a lot of irrelevant personal information even though I told them not to.

Also thought the questions were poorly designed and limited the answers. Probably find TSA have already decided the outcome.

Thanks
    I started the survey...and gave up at 26%, I could see already that it's an unwieldy behemoth.

And like Big George said, I bet they've already decided on the new looks (I've heard from some of my leaders that new colours have already been announced) and are just trying to get some survey results to back up their choices...
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    I thought it asked a lot of irrelevant personal information even though I told them not to.

Also thought the questions were poorly designed and limited the answers. Probably find TSA have already decided the outcome.
    In the bumph on the blog it said that no decisions have been made.

I think we have heard that before.

One thing I have never really understood about these surveys is the fact that they ask 'outsiders'. To my mind no matter what uniform is some people will not join as they don't want to not because of a uniform.

Also changing a uniform to suit a few people (OK at lot) will not change Scouting but could make us look more like a youth club and remove that identifying part - although I'm sure Sea and Air Scouts will want to keep most of theirs (like the hats and berets they already do).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,431 Posts
    i gave up at about 4% when i figured that meant there were 100 or so pages of questions

i have been doing this long enough to know that the answers will be ignored or used to justify a decision that has already been made

Thanks
    I think my main comment would be that we seem to have a uniform that is designed for the very few formal occasions we have in the year and not for the outdoor adventure we should be doing most weeks of the year. Quite where changing that emphasis would take us I'm not sure but I think there could be a compromise that leads to us still having a uniform that identifies us but which isn't harking back to pseudo military origins. Beavers and Cubs are probably about right (although I've had a couple of issues where kids with autism and associated sensory problems won't wear a tight neckline so a compatible polo shirt that could be used in place of the sweatshirt would be helpful - the current one has a logo where you'd need to put the world badge). I'm way past 14-18 but I'd be surprised if the colour of the Explorers shirt is in any way popular!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

dragonhhjh (05-06-2019),Ian Mallett (24-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    I think my main comment would be that we seem to have a uniform that is designed for the very few formal occasions we have in the year and not for the outdoor adventure we should be doing most weeks of the year. Quite where changing that emphasis would take us I'm not sure but I think there could be a compromise that leads to us still having a uniform that identifies us but which isn't harking back to pseudo military origins. Beavers and Cubs are probably about right (although I've had a couple of issues where kids with autism and associated sensory problems won't wear a tight neckline so a compatible polo shirt that could be used in place of the sweatshirt would be helpful - the current one has a logo where you'd need to put the world badge). I'm way past 14-18 but I'd be surprised if the colour of the Explorers shirt is in any way popular!
    I think that it is fair to say that when the current uniform came in, the trousers were made more casual that previous but were not perfect. Many still wear school trousers and the cargo ones are not best material for some activities and too expensive for others.

Even if the scout / explorer/ adult shirt was made of different material I can't see many wanting to go walking etc in it any more than they do now.

Cotton takes an age to dry but doesn't catch on fire as easily as quick drying stuff so we will never get an ideal.

Thanks
    My main issue with uniform is how badly-fitted the uniform shirt are. The sizing is literally awful.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    My main issue with uniform is how badly-fitted the uniform shirt are. The sizing is literally awful.
    I have heard a few say that but I have not had issue.

That said as everyone is slightly different in shape, I think they just go for a collar size then an average body size. This means that some will find the collar OK but the body too big or too small or the sleeves too long or too short.

I'm sure that if they made different arm and body sizes for each collar size there would be too many options.

Thanks
    The collar and body sizes bear literally no resemblance to any real life person. Why can't they just use normal shirt sizings?
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    If you've ever been abroad, its noticeable how much more rugged/rough and ready the Scout shirts/uniforms are elsewhere.
    It always makes me cringe a little when/if you go to a longer camp , or see another group on a camp taking a clothes rail with them and a row of Scout shirts neatly hanging on clothes hangers in the mess tent/marquee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    The collar and body sizes bear literally no resemblance to any real life person. Why can't they just use normal shirt sizings?
    I had to lop off 6 from the bottom of the trousers. I get that it is easier to start with them longer than the other way around. But these are made with knees. The knees are now half way down my shins.

The sizes bare no relation to any clothing manufacturers I go to.

I did feed this back on the survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

fenris (06-06-2019)