Thread: (Question) Scout Active Support

Thanks

(Question) Scout Active Support

As a new GSL, the following may be a very dumb question that's easily answered by others, but the only way to learn is to ask so...

What is a Scout Active Support Member exactly? And how does it differ from, for example, an Occasional Helper?

(Some sort of hierarchy "tree" diagram may help me to visualise it better, but I don't think one exists?)
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopaCooper View Post
    As a new GSL, the following may be a very dumb question that's easily answered by others, but the only way to learn is to ask so...

What is a Scout Active Support Member exactly? And how does it differ from, for example, an Occasional Helper?

(Some sort of hierarchy "tree" diagram may help me to visualise it better, but I don't think one exists?)
    The simple difference is that an Occasional Helper can turn up occasionally and help out and whilst if they are to be allowed unsupervised access to young people need to be DBS checked, they are not Members or Associate Members of Scouting, they get nor are obliged to complete any training and are not covered by Insurance for personal accident etc.

A SASM on the other hand needs a DBS, is approved by the Appts Committee (I think they need references), they are a member or associate member as their choice, must do certain training but finally and possibly most important they are appointed with specific support roles. It may be your Group has it's own HQ and the support team help manage it and keep it clean tidy, decorated etc. The support team is supposed to have a 'leader' and they need a Wood Badge etc.

Read POR and fact sheets and there is more info there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

dragonhhjh (05-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    The simple difference is that an Occasional Helper can turn up occasionally and help out and whilst if they are to be allowed unsupervised access to young people need to be DBS checked, they are not Members or Associate Members of Scouting, they get nor are obliged to complete any training and are not covered by Insurance for personal accident etc.

A SASM on the other hand needs a DBS, is approved by the Appts Committee (I think they need references), they are a member or associate member as their choice, must do certain training but finally and possibly most important they are appointed with specific support roles. It may be your Group has it's own HQ and the support team help manage it and keep it clean tidy, decorated etc. The support team is supposed to have a 'leader' and they need a Wood Badge etc.

Thank you for your detailed response.

I was looking around on TSA website and reading sections of POR, but there's so much information there that it was hard to find what I was looking for...but this has done the job.
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post

OH means that the adult has a DBS but has (probably) not done training and is not a member.

an OH can turn up every night of the week if they want - they do not need to be helping occasionally to be an occasional helper. Occasional Helper means 'DBSd adult' and that is all.

In fact, an adult who only turns up occasionally might not need a DBS if they are not going to have unsupervised access or be overnight (regulated activity)

"will be assisting with overnight activities (including Nights Away); or may be helping out once a week (or on four occasions in a thirty day period) or more frequently; or
    will have unsupervised access to young people."

"Section leaders should ensure that Occasional Helpers who are involved more than once a month are aware of the appointment opportunities available to them."

(quotes are from POR)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (05-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopaCooper View Post
    Thank you for your detailed response.

I was looking around on TSA website and reading sections of POR, but there's so much information there that it was hard to find what I was looking for...but this has done the job.
    Best places to start in POR are the Group Chapter as you are with a Group, and the Appointment Chapter.

There is a factsheet too but finding those can be a nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    OH means that the adult has a DBS but has (probably) not done training and is not a member.

an OH can turn up every night of the week if they want - they do not need to be helping occasionally to be an occasional helper. Occasional Helper means 'DBSd adult' and that is all.

SNIP
    Whilst they could, if someone is doing they are supposed to be encouraged to become at least a Section Assistant. Obviously not obligatory.