Thread: Excel on a Tablet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts

Excel on a Tablet.

I don't normally post here, Google normally suffices.

I'm sort of an IT guy, but it's very general in nature and in a very niche area.

I'm trying to figure out how I can have a spreadsheet open on a Surface Pro 3 (or other windows touchscreen device), and be able to input a value (an X say) into a cell with one dab.*

That sounds incredibly simple, but it turns out it isn't. Figuring out how to ask Google for possible answers is difficult and (I think, surprisingly), no one seems to have done this before.

Any clues?

* More info. It's for room handovers in hospitals. We equip hospitals etc and have to walk round at the end of projects confirming what we've bought on behalf of health boards is present and in the correct place. Currently we generate paper room lists (thousands of them for larger projects, even toilets get a handover sheet), walk round rooms and tick each item off and sign/counter sign. It's outdated and long winded. We no longer need to sign/counter sign, we just need to report back (electronically) if things are missing and why, (a snagging list). A combo box drop down list with reason why a thing might be missing would also work well, but it doesn't let you filter on the choice you make, which is sort of the point. If an item is present, we wouldn't comment at all, because most items are by the time we're doing this process.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Checkbox?

Google sheet:
    https://support.google.com/docs/answer/7684717?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Excel:
    https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2016/09/21/insert-checkbox-excel/

Only done cursory look, and not on a tablet, but the google sheet is not terrible on a phone.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Hmmm...

Unfortunately with the checkbox (on Excel), you can't then filter on what you've checked and what you haven't. You have to add in a wee bit Excel jiggery pokery to link it to a cell - and you can only do it one cell at a time.

Hmmm... (Again) for Google Sheets. I bet it's better, but we're kind of stuck on Windows here, we're trying to standardize as much as possible. (Also, we don't always have signal in hospitals. I know I've used sheets off line before, but I'm not sure how it would interface.)

I found a VB script, which I can't write (VB that is), but can usually understand (up to a point). But it was for a slightly different purpose which threw me completely.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=pa_broon74;463831]Hmmm...

Unfortunately with the checkbox (on Excel), you can't then filter on what you've checked and what you haven't. You have to add in a wee bit Excel jiggery pokery to link it to a cell - and you can only do it one cell at a time.

Hmmm... (Again) for Google Sheets. I bet it's better, but we're kind of stuck on Windows here, we're trying to standardize as much as possible. (Also, we don't always have signal in hospitals. I know I've used sheets off line before, but I'm not sure how it would interface.)

I found a VB script, which I can't write (VB that is), but can usually understand (up to a point). But it was for a slightly different purpose which threw me completely.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest just a data cell dropdown with a selection of reasons if you need to filter on it, as you can do that with two fingers (yes its two taps, but easier than any typing).
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ASLChris;463833]I'd suggest just a data cell dropdown with a selection of reasons if you need to filter on it, as you can do that with two fingers (yes its two taps, but easier than any typing).[/QUOTE]

Yup.

I should have asked sooner - I just found that option. It's ideal.

Still some finagling to do, it's a wee bit small on the tablet screen, the drop down arrow is dabbable, but the options (four of them so far) are too small. Some formatting required I think.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    I recently started to play with AppSheet as a app in front of a cloud hosted spreadsheet. It seems very simple or can be very powerful. It makes things like a checkbox a breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GSL-Baloo For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=GSL-Baloo;463840]I recently started to play with AppSheet as a app in front of a cloud hosted spreadsheet. It seems very simple or can be very powerful. It makes things like a checkbox a breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'll check this out, the due to the number of columns we need to have on the spreadsheet, the check box/list doesn't present well. It'll work okay if we use the pen, maybe...