Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting for girls gives group its biggest boost in years - Guardian Article

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts

Scouting for girls gives group its biggest boost in years - Guardian Article

A nice positive piece in today's Observer (Sunday Guardian) and online, hardly any of the usual misconceptions or harking back to the past
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-beavers-cubs

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Kev (16-06-2019)

Thanks
    Yet boys growth is static or very small considered against the national population. I still worry about that. Girls have the option of Guides (also growing), Boys really just have Scouts and don't seem to be attracted in massively growing numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Yet boys growth is static or very small considered against the national population. I still worry about that. Girls have the option of Guides (also growing), Boys really just have Scouts and don't seem to be attracted in massively growing numbers.
    Yet... try as I might to get girls into Navigators we sit at 10% in Juniors and 30% in Navs... I have three enquiries this weekend, all male...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    A nice positive piece in today's Observer (Sunday Guardian) and online, hardly any of the usual misconceptions or harking back to the past
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-beavers-cubs
    Some poor reporting there. The figures they are quoting are (deliberately?) misleading.

Total membership of TSA is around 640 000, this includes the 160 000 adults. So there are 450 000 males (not just boys) and 187 000 females (not just girls).
    The 400 000 quoted for the guides is youth members only (and I think rounded down), the equivalent figure for Scouts would be around 480 000 (boys & girls), and the proportion of boys to girls is more like 3:1 rather than the 2:1 they are trying to imply.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,436 Posts
    As it's the first year in ages that they haven't shouted about growth, I guess numbers are down?

Have they been released?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    As it's the first year in ages that they haven't shouted about growth, I guess numbers are down?

Have they been released?
    They probably know them, but the breakdown in figures I use for the spreadsheet only comes in the annual report out in September.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,264 Posts
    The number of youth member boys involved has grown by 14.6% 2007-2018. Girls by 30%.

UK population estimated at
    2007: 62.3 million
    2018: 66.5 million

What's that, about 6-7% growth? So the number of boys joining is at double the rate of the general population growth. That seems ok to me.

Are you thinking that if we didn't have girls in we'd have more space for boys? Or you think there are boys that aren't joining because there's girls in scouts? Or something else?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

Have they been released?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    The Guardian article says:

The number of girl scouts has risen by 18,499 from 2017 and boy scouts by 3,063. (I wonder why from 2017 and not from 2018?).

As I have already pointed out, they seem to have mixed whatever figures emphasise their narrative.
    Last edited by khoomei; 17-06-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    The Guardian article says:

The number of girl scouts has risen by 18,499 from 2017 and boy scouts by 3,063. (I wonder why from 2017 and not from 2018?).

As I have already pointed out, they seem to have mixed whatever figures emphasise their narrative.
    Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    The number of youth member boys involved has grown by 14.6% 2007-2018. Girls by 30%.

UK population estimated at
    2007: 62.3 million
    2018: 66.5 million

What's that, about 6-7% growth? So the number of boys joining is at double the rate of the general population growth. That seems ok to me.

Are you thinking that if we didn't have girls in we'd have more space for boys? Or you think there are boys that aren't joining because there's girls in scouts? Or something else?
    I think that the growth of girls in Scouts AND Guides is much much greater than boys in Scouts. I have no idea why boys aren't joining Scouts in the same increased numbers as girls have joined Scouts and Guides but I don't think I'd be complacent about it.

- - - Updated - - -

In passing I know one section only - it's Scouts - where girls outnumber boys, in that example by about 2/3 to 1/3. I can't say it's great - the girls totally dominate, I don't know whether that's the individual characters of the young people concerned or the natural more rapid growth of girls in that age range. The leader has been concerned that as the ratio went up towards 50% he started losing boys.

I can't possibly think that one section has any relevance for the country as a whole but it's something which I'm sure isn't unique.

Thanks

I can't possibly think that one section has any relevance for the country as a whole but it's something which I'm sure isn't unique.
    My eldest son has heard similar comments about the Scouts section nearest where we live from his school friends that went there (they've all passed leaving age now) - comments along the lines of "it all got very girlie" and so they started leaving which led to replacements from the girls friends coming in. To be fair its probably as much a criticism of the boys unwillingness to try things they dismiss as "girlie" whereas the girls are perhaps more willing to give anything a try (once). Its perhaps where a bit of careful steering of the outcomes from things like "Youshape" might be needed.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    My eldest son has heard similar comments about the Scouts section nearest where we live from his school friends that went there (they've all passed leaving age now) - comments along the lines of "it all got very girlie" and so they started leaving which led to replacements from the girls friends coming in. To be fair its probably as much a criticism of the boys unwillingness to try things they dismiss as "girlie" whereas the girls are perhaps more willing to give anything a try (once). Its perhaps where a bit of careful steering of the outcomes from things like "Youshape" might be needed.
    I’m not brave enough to call our females girly! They are well balanced and outward looking young people - and definitely not lacking in bravado

Guider and Adviser
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    Some poor reporting there. The figures they are quoting are (deliberately?) misleading.

Total membership of TSA is around 640 000, this includes the 160 000 adults. So there are 450 000 males (not just boys) and 187 000 females (not just girls).
    The 400 000 quoted for the guides is youth members only (and I think rounded down), the equivalent figure for Scouts would be around 480 000 (boys & girls), and the proportion of boys to girls is more like 3:1 rather than the 2:1 they are trying to imply.
    I think it's an unwritten rule that journalists are not allowed to understand statistics.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    I’m not brave enough to call our females girly! They are well balanced and outward looking young people - and definitely not lacking in bravado
    Oh in this troop it's not that they're girly, just that they dominate everything, any question they're first to answer, in games they just play with each other - even on opposite teams - when there's free time the two sexes separate in different groups etc.

I suppose what interests me is that the guides have a view that they "provide a unique girl-only environment, vital for personal and social development. It's a safe, inclusive space where girls can be comfortable just being themselves.". Whether you think girls need that or not it's obviously successful. But boys don't get that option do they?

Thanks
    Its true - they dont. Not within Scouting. Whether that's good or bad, I am really not equipped to say.

What I can say is our troop is roughly 50/50 - and I wouldn't want to be without either side.

Rich