Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scouting for girls gives group its biggest boost in years - Guardian Article

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Point of order... REPORTING of Domestic violence is up.

Much of what was considered "normal" in the past is now not acceptable and it is being reported. I am sure, having known a copule of people involved in domestic violence, that the real figure though are still a long way from the reality.

My view is that single sex provision serves to exacerbate the differences and instill attitudes that can be both accepting and confrontational at the same time. I have never known anything but co-ed Scouting, and what I have seen is a genral building of mutual respect. There have been incidents, and there always will be of inappropriate behaviour, but our role is to educate that this is not acceptable.

In the early days of co-ed, it was clear that there were Leaders, male and some female, who held old-fashioned views about where men and women should havetheir roles. In time that morphs into acceptance and even pro-active support for both boys and girls.

I recognise that there are difference - but when we walk through the door they are all equals to me.

So, how do I feel about Guides? I don't, in 25 years I have only really crossed paths with Guides from time to time and they and their Leaders are an enigma
    Scouts are all different but equal.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Point of order... REPORTING of Domestic violence is up.

Much of what was considered "normal" in the past is now not acceptable and it is being reported. I am sure, having known a copule of people involved in domestic violence, that the real figure though are still a long way from the reality.

My view is that single sex provision serves to exacerbate the differences and instill attitudes that can be both accepting and confrontational at the same time. I have never known anything but co-ed Scouting, and what I have seen is a genral building of mutual respect. There have been incidents, and there always will be of inappropriate behaviour, but our role is to educate that this is not acceptable.

In the early days of co-ed, it was clear that there were Leaders, male and some female, who held old-fashioned views about where men and women should havetheir roles. In time that morphs into acceptance and even pro-active support for both boys and girls.

I recognise that there are difference - but when we walk through the door they are all equals to me.

So, how do I feel about Guides? I don't, in 25 years I have only really crossed paths with Guides from time to time and they and their Leaders are an enigma
    Hair splitting stuff, between reports and actual instances. The point still stands. And as you say, there are entirely new areas of abuse being reported, men aren't refraining from physically assaulting partners because they can engage in a bit of sext-shaming/boasting instead.

In terms of equality, I think it's fair to say, we're not there yet - so - girl/women only spaces need to be maintained. And for now anyway, decisions around them shouldn't be influenced by men's opinions.

I don't believe statutory education should be segregated - I don't necessarily think boys/girls only schools are good things (or faith schools). I think they do probably entrench differences rather than tackle them - but they're different from organisations like Guides or Scouts or youth clubs (say). I'm not advocating either should be one or the other (as I said, I'm indifferent). But I'm indifferent because I still think there is a place for some limited girl/boy only space. I don't believe it to be the apocalyptic arrangement some people believe it to be.

As ever, balance is key.