Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number of Leaders

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Hi Peter, I don't really want to derail into an in depth discussion of my group, but I'll PM you answers to those questions.

I'm more interested in a feel for what people think is normal vs best practice vs what they aim for.

I have had a quick look at the PM and I'll try and let you have a more detailed and considered reply over the weekend. Believe me though when I say it will be very hard slog going from 8 to 25!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    It is possible to "want to go every week" and "not feel guilty for having a week off". Designing your leadership team so everyone needs to be there every week, is going to have a negative impact on people wanting to go every week, don't you think?
    That's not what I said. I said designing your leader team so they want to be there every week would be the way to go. (Although reading what I wrote back, that may not be clear...)

Currently, I think a lot of recruitment is being done on the basis of 'need' in terms of the groups requirement, not 'want' in terms of the volunteer's requirements.

I make it abundantly clear to the team, that if they miss a Thursday, it's not a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    I'm more interested in a feel for what people think is normal vs best practice vs what they aim for.
    We aim to always be sure to have 2 Leaders there for each weekly meeting. In order to do that in this modern world where everyone is busy that requires us to have a bare minimum of 3 Leaders per Section and 4 or even 5 is preferable. I think this term alone only our CSL (and me as GSL and ESL) hasn't had at least one week off

Within that we want one Section Leader per Section and at least one Assistant Leader who is happy and capable enough to fully run meetings in the absence of the Section Leader.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    That's not what I said. I said designing your leader team so they want to be there every week would be the way to go. (Although reading what I wrote back, that may not be clear...)

Currently, I think a lot of recruitment is being done on the basis of 'need' in terms of the groups requirement, not 'want' in terms of the volunteer's requirements.

I make it abundantly clear to the team, that if they miss a Thursday, it's not a problem.
    Ah, I get you now!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Believe me though when I say it will be very hard slog going from 8 to 25!
    Oh yeah!

Thanks
    I'm taking a look at that ideal structure, and we're not there yet, but we're close (except only one unit per section, and we meet in a village hall).

Apart from Beavers, where we've just lost one, all sections have three leaders and have DBS'd parents who can be called on (and who have been chatted through our safety procedures, yellow card and objectives of what we're doing- i.e. module 1).

I also note that YLs aren't mentioned on the plan. Although they don't count in either direction on the "plan to have minimum ratio", they count very heavily in my risk assessments that underpin the activities (even if that weighting isn't formally written down).

Assuming you're treating the SA roles as we use our DBS parents - available for specific events and to support if there's a problem, I think that should be your target.

I should mention that apart from myself, all our leaders are either parents who've followed their children in, or YLs we've retained. That gives us a very strong experience base in how our group works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scoutgamer For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (23-06-2019)