Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody at Strategy?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    This is making me think of the other thread about gender labels. It seems I am not allowed to like eating lots of veg and some unprocessed meat, I have to choose between carnivore and vegetarian. I was discussing this with another leader at strategy who helped on the special diets aisle at breakfast. Gluten free seemed to be the one to go for. You basically got a full english with gluten free bread.
    Well at least you know what one to go for next year!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that. However, vegetarian and vegan are lifestyle choices, not an avoidance of life threatening conditions. The vegan breakfast certainly looked preferable to a white bread bun with ultra processed sausages. I really would feel ill if that was what I lived on all weekend.
    I thought this was just a complaint about the breakfast?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I thought this was just a complaint about the breakfast?
    I've found at this point in my life that if I eat junk food with no veg then certain things stop moving. The view of a row of porta loos doesn't help Is there a special diet label for that?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    The thing that strikes me about this is that, if you are cooking the veg, why not make it available to all? Why section people off at all? I can see the argument for *not* cooking the full English at all, but if you are already cooking all of the components?

Over here is bacon/sausage, over here is porridge, over here is tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, over here are white/brown/GF bread...... take your pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    ah, well now it comes down to fussiness.
    If I wanted gruel I'd have signed up for the workhouse.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

johnL (24-06-2019),Kev (24-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    The thing that strikes me about this is that, if you are cooking the veg, why not make it available to all? Why section people off at all? I can see the argument for *not* cooking the full English at all, but if you are already cooking all of the components?
    Quantity obviously, its relatively easy to cook that for say 75 people but its another matter to do that for 500 or whatever.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

big chris (24-06-2019),BigBadBaloo (24-06-2019)

Thanks
    Porridge was OK, but I'll bring some raisins next year. Nonplussed by breakfast baps but we were in a rush on Saturday because packed lunches were late starting and someone had to encourage people through, so quick butty was needed. Liked Saturday evening meal.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Liked Saturday evening meal.
    Me too. Loads of chicken curry and rice for leaders while the scouts chose the spag bol.

Thanks
    I think it was a bit chaotic on the Sat morning. long queues meant most people were running late and concerned about getting their yp at the start on time. otherwise would have been time for cereal and bacon/sausage bap and porridge as well if so inclined. for many it was one or the other. must be tricky catering for what must be approaching 2000 with adults and helpers. the bap idea probably best could hope for given numbers and perfectly fine, but judging by when many of the yp were diving into their packed lunch they were soon hungry again, which was useful as they did not look like they were enjoying those pasties. evening meal was fine but some fruit would help with the diet and keeping many going that bit longer and less trouble catering wise compared to prepping extras

what I've learnt from big events, not just scouting but work, conferences, travel etc is selecting vegetarian means you tend to get better food, often more choice, served quicker and as often over cater for special diets there is often seconds going if so inclined!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BalooNav View Post
    what I've learnt from big events, not just scouting but work, conferences, travel etc is selecting vegetarian means you tend to get better food, often more choice, served quicker and as often over cater for special diets there is often seconds going if so inclined!
    That isn't just on camps. On a plane you get better food quicker if you order a special meal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    That isn't just on camps. On a plane you get better food quicker if you order a special meal.
    yep, that's my point

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BalooNav For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (24-06-2019)

Thanks
    I think the problem with the bap was scouts were given the choice of two bacon, two sausage or one of each. They seemed to take a long time to process and respond to this question. Do you want bacon, do you want sausage, do you want beans, etc. get instant answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    I think the problem with the bap was scouts were given the choice of two bacon, two sausage or one of each. They seemed to take a long time to process and respond to this question. Do you want bacon, do you want sausage, do you want beans, etc. get instant answers.
    It might have been easier to simply offer bacon *or* sausage, and just say "OK, then" to anyone who specifically asked for one of each.

Personally on a weekend camp I do sausage the Saturday morning and bacon the Sunday (deliberately that way round as bacon keeps better).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (25-06-2019),BalooNav (25-06-2019),shiftypete (24-06-2019)

Thanks
    Me too. Loads of chicken curry and rice for leaders while the scouts chose the spag bol.
    Chicken curry had run out by the time I got there

Lunch, why do they pre pack crisps and biscuits but not fruit and chocolate bar? Surely, it would make sense to do all or none!
    Paul

Scout Leader and Webmaster at 90th Bristol Scouts
    Member and Webmaster at Namaste Nepal SAS