Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Appointment Committee a waste of time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    GSLs are often "imposed" by the District, unless the Group can find one themselves.
    Indeed.

Our version of that is when someone who really doesn't want to be a GSL (but might come down to committee meetings now and again), gets their arm twisted. On paper we have a GSL, but in reality, the GSL does very little other than forward the odd email.

Our current GSL is great, very pragmatic and enjoying a form of semi-retirement from Scouting.

Thanks
    The references thing will become increasingly problematic. More and more employers are only willing to give "dates and times" references rather than character references so getting someone who is willing to put down on paper some meaningful thoughts on suitability may well become harder. That's if anyone ever actually contacts the names on the form.....
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    I write a fair few references for Explorers for jobs and accommodation. I write a serious one then I write a joke one.

I never have any issues writing them because they were and are all genuinely decent. But, since references can be very subjective - half the people here would probably give me a terrible reference, the other half, ummm, a neutral reference? But in reality, I'm actually a delight to be around and a massively effective leader.

In truth, if I was coming into the organisation now, basically, I wouldn't be coming into the organisation. I'd be the first to admit, I'm not on-message at all - but I do take safety seriously, (I care about the young folk involved) and I do feel strongly about, and for, the organisation.

No really, I'm 100% a delight...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I write a fair few references for Explorers for jobs and accommodation. I write a serious one then I write a joke one.
    I do a fair few too. I never write a jokey one though, just don't trust meself not to screw up and send the wrong one out to the wrong person.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I do a fair few too. I never write a jokey one though, just don't trust meself not to screw up and send the wrong one out to the wrong person.
    If they took my joke reference seriously, then they wouldn't deserve to have such fine young people living in their residences or stacking their shelves.