Thread: Be Careful Out There

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts

Be Careful Out There

Today, I discovered, to great upset, that a friend of many of us is in trouble.

I have not asked how. I trust and respect the individual concerned. I have absolute faith that no wrong has been done.

It has upset me somewhat to hear that after a lifetime of doing good, someone has seen fit to stick the boot in.

I have no idea of what the complaint is, but it serves as a reminder to be very careful with the rules, keep yourself safe.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 27-06-2019 at 06:06 AM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

bernwood (26-06-2019),big chris (26-06-2019),dralphs (03-07-2019),Neil Williams (26-06-2019),sjl14 (26-06-2019)

Thanks
    Indeed. I am sorry to hear this and know from my own experiences what a difficult time such a thing brings. I have no real idea who this person may be, but do know that I received a great deal of support from a few members here during my own difficulties.

Please pass on my best wishes to the person concerned.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

big chris (26-06-2019),Bushfella (26-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Phew, its not me (at least not as far as I know)

Good luck to whoever it is

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    It is my understanding that a failure to follow the rules, to the letter, has been the cause of the issue.

No-one is immune. We are all vulnerable if we don't play by the rules. I know it can be difficult at times but we either follow the rules and stay safe, or we cut corners and put ourselves at risk.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (27-06-2019),RisingStar (27-06-2019)

Thanks
    And because TSA will never ever comment or let you defend yourself properly there will always be finger pointing and suspicion. In the suspension process you have a supporter. I've known two of those be suspended too because they were too keen to help the suspended leader.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,272 Posts
    "may you live in interesting times" is a curse for good reasons.

Bon chance whoever you are.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-06-2019)

Thanks
    Having been involved in a number of suspensions I've often thought that if I was ever accused I'd walk out. The process is under staffed, long drawn out, and weighted against the accused. My worst example whicj I've quoted before was a malicious accusation by a cub. Withdrawn after a day with the parents apologising. It took 6 months and an AAC to get him back

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

Airobat (27-06-2019),big chris (27-06-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Having been involved in a number of suspensions I've often thought that if I was ever accused I'd walk out. The process is under staffed, long drawn out, and weighted against the accused. My worst example whicj I've quoted before was a malicious accusation by a cub. Withdrawn after a day with the parents apologising. It took 6 months and an AAC to get him back
    Not everyone would have that luxury. A teacher walking away upon a suspension based on an allegation, could lose their job... their career... their home...
    Ewan Scott

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-06-2019),Dave Davies (27-06-2019),mang21 (27-06-2019),RisingStar (27-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    It is my understanding that a failure to follow the rules, to the letter, has been the cause of the issue.

No-one is immune. We are all vulnerable if we don't play by the rules. I know it can be difficult at times but we either follow the rules and stay safe, or we cut corners and put ourselves at risk.
    I prefer not to dwell too long on these circumstances. Failure to follow rules in and of itself is not the real-world totem it's cracked up to be. Given all the - frankly - pointless bureaucracy in Scouts, dwelling for too long will have you running for the hills or just leaving with a regretful shrug of the shoulders.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I prefer not to dwell too long on these circumstances. Failure to follow rules in and of itself is not the real-world totem it's cracked up to be. Given all the - frankly - pointless bureaucracy in Scouts, dwelling for too long will have you running for the hills or just leaving with a regretful shrug of the shoulders.
    I have certainly encountered cases in the past where someone has been particularly awkward with a given Commissioner, but in doing so have not broken any rules. Said Commissioner has been unable to do anything at the time but has lain in wait for a minor breach of POR (ideally something like a breach of the Yellow Card on a technicality - rather than one causing harm to YP, obviously) and thrown the book at them.

Not saying this has happened in this case as I know nothing of what or who, but it does happen.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 27-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I have certainly encountered cases in the past where someone has been particularly awkward with a given Commissioner, but in doing so have not broken any rules. Said Commissioner has been unable to do anything at the time but has lain in wait for a minor breach of POR (ideally something like a breach of the Yellow Card on a technicality - rather than one causing harm to YP, obviously) and thrown the book at them.

Not saying this has happened in this case as I know nothing of what or who, but it does happen.
    This all links in with a lot of the chat elsewhere - where there maybe needs to be a more holistic approach to how volunteers are dealt with and what (if any) protections they can expect.

People are human (obvs), whether they're in the workplace or in the Scout Hall, so it stands to reason these things will happen. The problem is, if you get chucked out of Scouts, the rumour mill is liable to be turning a good bit more quickly than if you get sacked from your job - and the mill is a lot more likely to be turning on your doorstep.

As I said, I don't like to think about it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

mang21 (27-06-2019),Neil Williams (27-06-2019),RisingStar (27-06-2019)