Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life is too short to....

Thanks

Life is too short to....

Inspired by a thread elsewhere I am just curious about things people just can't be bothered doing, because it's just too much hastle and life is too short. It could be scouting or non scouting. It can be things that we know we should do but really just don't care about. Or something random. So fire away!

I guess I should make some ealy suggestions, so here goes,

Make you own pasta. Seriously. Why would you bother? I can go to my local coop and buy perfectly nice pasta for next to nothing.
    Wash colours and whites separately. No. Just no.
    Queue up early to be at the front of a gig. Mrs Camrbidgeskip does it. It's something we simply have to agree to disagree on.
    Peel potatoes. Partly too lazy, but also the skin tastes good as well.

So what's yours?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Iron anything other than shirts (which I wear very rarely apart from my Scout uniform shirt which I just hang up each week and so doesn't need ironing often)

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I donít really belong in a thread like this. I peel potatoes. I iron most things. I wash colours separately. I failed to do so for my sonsí beddings and now the sheets are gray. I wonít make that mistake again.

But I have yet to make my own pasta.

What does come under this heading is rarely dust or hoover. I leave it to my non-scoring husband. Or blitz it once a year before guests appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've been a hoarder, mainly I think because I have never been bothered to sort out the things which were once useful but in reality will never be useful again. I need to change my ways!

Thanks
    Wash the car - when I had my first couple of cars I used to religiously wash them regularly, polish them etc. Now I just run cheap work horses, make sure the engine and other safety relevant bits are maintained properly and leave what it looks like to nature. They probably get a couple of washes a year - as much as anything to give the kids something to do on a hot day!

Dry dishes - they either dry in the dishwasher or the few that get handwashed just sit there for long enough to dry before someone puts them away. No point in putting germs back on with a damp bacteria ridden tea towel!

Empty grass boxes - am now a convert to mulching mowers - makes the grass more healthy and avoids trekking back and forth emptying the grass collector on the mower.

I could resolve the hoarding issue in our house by decluttering my other half but she has other benefits that more than offset this issue.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    ..................I could resolve the hoarding issue in our house by decluttering my other half but she has other benefits that more than offset this issue.
    I know that feeling!

I wonder if our respective wives could be somehow related!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ě Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

mang21 (28-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Any sort of shopping around.

I do the absolute barest minimum, because there is always the danger that you'll get sucked into a vortex of indecision based of there always being something slightly better just over the horizon (or the next shop.)

I'm going on holiday (first real non-Scouting holiday for a good 20-odd years) so I needed to buy a bag. I'm still not sure I bought the right one. I look at it sitting there and still think I could have got something a bit more flexible. But, since I faffed around for so long (between Tyso and Go Outdoors), I just had to pick one and go with it.

That and anything technical bought from Amazon or eBay. I'm not joking, the amount of utter crap you can buy these days and when it arrives - the only way you can figure out how to get it to work is via a long exceedingly boring trawl through several forums trying to find out what other hapless souls ended up doing.

And somewhat related. If Amazon say they've delivered a thing and I haven't got it? I go straight for a refund - I no longer look. They say they want me to, but I just say, "no - you had your chance, you even sent a picture of it in a place I don't recognise. Seriously, why should I finish delivering it for you? My place in this arrangement is to receive it."

I'm also having an on-going situation with a Chromecast device that always ends with them telling me I need to do a warranty return.

All that stuff is great, when it works...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    ...be grumpy.

and also...

Life is very short, and there's no time
    for fussing and fighting my friends.
    Last edited by ianw; 28-06-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    There's always time to be grumpy...

It's one of life's great soporifics...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    I wash colours separately. I failed to do so for my sons’ beddings and now the sheets are gray. I won’t make that mistake again.
    I solve that one by simply not owning anything made of fabric in plain white. My sheets are grey to start with, for instance. Work shirts I tend to get in deep colours, mostly blue.

Thanks
    Hand drying plates, cutlery, cups etc with a tea towel..........let gravity and evaporation do the work for you (I see I'm not alone)
    Last edited by bigcheese; 29-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigcheese For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (29-06-2019),shiftypete (30-06-2019)

Thanks
    Life is too short to listen to ar** hol**.

Since spending Christmas in hospital and frequent hospital visits afterwards I’m even more intolerant of idiots and time wasters. I always had a low tolerance but it’s gone now. I have better things to do with my time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Big George For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (29-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheese View Post
    Hand drying plates, cutlery, cups etc with a tea towel..........let gravity and evaporation do the work for you (I see I'm not alone)
    Drying up - the most pointless piece of housework going. If you don't do it it does itself, so why bother?

(Actually, it's worse than leaving it, because you smear bacteria from your inevitably mucky teatowel all over it)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Drying up - the most pointless piece of housework going. If you don't do it it does itself, so why bother?

(Actually, it's worse than leaving it, because you smear bacteria from your inevitably mucky teatowel all over it)
    You could always wash the teatowel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airobat View Post
    You could always wash the teatowel
    Life is too short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

Airobat (04-07-2019),mang21 (02-07-2019)