Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New joining process on scouts.org.uk (beta)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=dralphs;464586]Glad they now seem to be using the same contact details as the main scouts.org website although that opens up another can of worms in that its also incorrect.

No idea whare they are getting section meetings from as ours are totally wrong and missing off Explorers & Network.[/QUOTE]

Section meeting Data is probably obtained from Compass which if wrong was put in wrong in the first place or has never been updated or added at all.

Explorers and Network again are probably missing if the data isn't on Compass. Needs a postcode and meeting data. Just because you add it on Census does not mean it is in Compass as the two are not linked.

Has the person with access checked to see it or amend it done so?

Likewise the contacts were there too not from Compass records but the Group details in Compass.

Thanks
    Ours still shows as a contact name someone who I think might have been District Commissioner before the previous one who had himself resigned before I started in 2013.... Have suggested to our GSL that exploring what Compass has stored for us might be worthwhile! (It also shows our group name in old form - we updated it some time back to be more reflective of where we actually operate, was updated with Charity Commission but possibly not with Gilwell!)
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    [QUOTE=daveb123;464587]Section meeting Data is probably obtained from Compass which if wrong was put in wrong in the first place or has never been updated or added at all.

Explorers and Network again are probably missing if the data isn't on Compass. Needs a postcode and meeting data. Just because you add it on Census does not mean it is in Compass as the two are not linked.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the magic incantation or combination of Left Left Right Right Up Down Square Triangle button presses but...looking locally the next district to me has Explorers showing on the map, but we don't, and most of Surrey don't. Looking on compass one of our units seems to have an address, but the rest don't. That unit isn't appearing. Ho hum. It's not kids we're short of anyway.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ianw;464599]Not sure what the magic incantation or combination of Left Left Right Right Up Down Square Triangle button presses but...looking locally the next district to me has Explorers showing on the map, but we don't, and most of Surrey don't. Looking on compass one of our units seems to have an address, but the rest don't. That unit isn't appearing. Ho hum. It's not kids we're short of anyway.[/QUOTE]

For what it is worth, on scouts.org.uk if I put in a postcode for our town it lists a number of Groups but the DC is contact for them all even though there is information on the pages I previously mentioned for certainly our Group and I know that same others entered it too. So the current version isn't looking at the Group info even if the beta version was doing.

It didn't bring any Explorers up though on the search as others have reported - just Groups, even then not saying what sections they have just a group name a location on map pin.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=daveb123;464587]Section meeting Data is probably obtained from Compass which if wrong was put in wrong in the first place or has never been updated or added at all.

Likewise the contacts were there too not from Compass records but the Group details in Compass.[/QUOTE]

I'm supposed to be getting access as taking over doing some Group Admin now our Group Admin & Cub Leader is leaving having been demoted :) to County Commsioner :) ( Serves me right for being one of the people to nominate her )

Once i have access i'll check.

It would certainly help if at some stage TSA issue guidance on where the data is retrieved from and how to update as i know for sure the current group finder is showing the DC as contact who moved on over a year ago.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

Thanks
    [QUOTE=dralphs;464606]I'm supposed to be getting access as taking over doing some Group Admin now our Group Admin & Cub Leader is leaving having been demoted :) to County Commsioner :) ( Serves me right for being one of the people to nominate her )

Once i have access i'll check.

It would certainly help if at some stage TSA issue guidance on where the data is retrieved from and how to update as i know for sure the current group finder is showing the DC as contact who moved on over a year ago.[/QUOTE]

When Compass first went live there was a big push on training for it on the HQ website. There were written things and short vidoes.

As far as I know it is all still there but as time as gone on and personnel changes the 'push' hasn't been repeated. there is some here that MAY help https://compasssupport.scouts.org.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    [QUOTE=dralphs;464586]No idea whare they are getting section meetings from as ours are totally wrong and missing off Explorers & Network.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah all of our Section meeting days are wrong and none of them have ever changed meeting night in the 85+ year history of our Group.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    [QUOTE=shiftypete;464619]Yeah all of our Section meeting days are wrong and none of them have ever changed meeting night in the 85+ year history of our Group.[/QUOTE]

But as GSL you SHOULD if you feel the urge be able to update yours. Group Administrator can too. Not sure about Section Leaders.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    [QUOTE=daveb123;464621]But as GSL you SHOULD if you feel the urge be able to update yours. Group Administrator can too. Not sure about Section Leaders.[/QUOTE]

Hmm GSLs can alter Section details on Compass but not those of the Group overall. However our Group's Sections have no meeting days set in Compass so they appear to have just randomly generated the days our Sections meet or something.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 12-07-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    [QUOTE=shiftypete;464622]Hmm GSLs can alter Section details on Compass but not those of the Group overall. However our Group's Sections have no meeting days set in Compass so they appear to have just randomly generated the days our Sections meet or something.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm. I think a DC can add and close sections of a Group but then within the Group you can add individual section details.

It doesn't look like you can add overall Group info like registered charity, group colour, GSL details which is odd

Thanks
    [QUOTE=daveb123;464625]Mmmm. I think a DC can add and close sections of a Group but then within the Group you can add individual section details.

It doesn't look like you can add overall Group info like registered charity, group colour, GSL details which is odd[/QUOTE]

You think it is odd? We are talking about Compass! A totally hierarchical system which prevents you doing anything useful or seeing anything helpful.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    [QUOTE=wealdbrook;464630]You think it is odd? We are talking about Compass! A totally hierarchical system which prevents you doing anything useful or seeing anything helpful.[/QUOTE]I blame the people who did the spec. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;464631]I blame the people who did the spec. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I blame the people who tore up the spec and bought a cheap substitute and then spent more making it even worse!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

frazzle (22-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    The question is could TSA ever have afforded the £10m or thereabouts that I reckon it should have cost (I priced it up using fairly average industry rates based on what I reckon it'd take). A proper system may well have been unaffordable anyway.

Of course, what TSA does have is a stack of volunteers, a lot of whom are IT professionals and might just have done it for nowt...but on the paid side at Gilwell there does seem to be a view of "anything but volunteers".

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Neil Williams;464638]The question is could TSA ever have afforded the £10m or thereabouts that I reckon it should have cost (I priced it up using fairly average industry rates based on what I reckon it'd take). A proper system may well have been unaffordable anyway.

Of course, what TSA does have is a stack of volunteers, a lot of whom are IT professionals and might just have done it for nowt...but on the paid side at Gilwell there does seem to be a view of "anything but volunteers".[/QUOTE]

At least there's the chance for someone to go for the job to sort it out...

[Tumbleweed]