Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New joining process on scouts.org.uk (beta)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,431 Posts

New joining process on scouts.org.uk (beta)

They are trialling a new process. Seems better than the usual stuff

https://userinyerface.com/game.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (04-07-2019)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;464499]They are trialling a new process. Seems better than the usual stuff

https://userinyerface.com/game.html[/QUOTE]

All I see is a login/registration screen and I never sign up to sites I donít know.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=garethhowell;464501]All I see is a login/registration screen and I never sign up to sites I donít know.[/QUOTE]

it's a joke site... kill 5 minutes and make up an email adfdress

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Going back to the real new site... It's interesting that they're finally using "real" Leader's data on a public site (even if it is marked with disclaimers on it that the "data is likely to be incorrect").
    My surprise isn't that the data is incorrect - it's that it's real data (albeit a bit out-of-date), suddenly being shown in public when it never has been before.

e.g. If I search in Southampton, then some of the entries have personal email addresses, mobile numbers, and in at least one case a home phone number shown in public. Whereas other records show far less... must have something to do with settings on Compass - though out of the two records I can access in Compass I can't figure out the pattern.

I'm sure some people don't mind their data being used like this, and I'm sure there's been debates here in the past about how much information people are willing to share. And it's good to see long overdue improvements to the Group finder.
    But changing how people's personal data is being shown on a public site (even if it is a test site) without warning that it's being used in that way, seems a bit clumsy to me. Or maybe I'm over-paranoid about privacy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,265 Posts
    I think it is potentially a GDPR breach. Maybe someone should point it out to them.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=itchen;464568]Going back to the real new site... It's interesting that they're finally using "real" Leader's data on a public site (even if it is marked with disclaimers on it that the "data is likely to be incorrect").
    My surprise isn't that the data is incorrect - it's that it's real data (albeit a bit out-of-date), suddenly being shown in public when it never has been before.

e.g. If I search in Southampton, then some of the entries have personal email addresses, mobile numbers, and in at least one case a home phone number shown in public. Whereas other records show far less... must have something to do with settings on Compass - though out of the two records I can access in Compass I can't figure out the pattern.

I'm sure some people don't mind their data being used like this, and I'm sure there's been debates here in the past about how much information people are willing to share. And it's good to see long overdue improvements to the Group finder.
    But changing how people's personal data is being shown on a public site (even if it is a test site) without warning that it's being used in that way, seems a bit clumsy to me. Or maybe I'm over-paranoid about privacy.[/QUOTE]

whoah!

<beta link>

i left there over a year ago but i see they have acknowledged the out of date thing... but.. ***? i've been pretty good at keeping that email address off the web

i hadn't spotted that my personal address had been added to compass. I use a default scout-only version of that address normally but using compass data for this is not good really... I had a specific email for all scout communications using the group's domain specifically to avoid this problem. All messages to my old GSL address forward and I have no access to them.

ithis could do with some work!
    Last edited by big chris; 10-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    I have sent them a "sad face" feedback with a request to take this part of the site down immediately lest someone less tolerant shop them in for a GDPR breach (on two grounds - inaccurate, out of date personal data on who is responsible for a Group, and exposing personal data from Compass publically without consent - I do not believe there is any other basis on which it would be reasonable to do this other than consent as the "legitimate interest" could be fulfilled by way of a contact form which did not expose that data).

I suggest others may wish to do the same.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 09-07-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Oh good, glad it's not just me feeling a bit uncomfortable about this.
    A bit alarming after the things which brought the Compass disaster to a head, that they don't seem to have learnt about privacy.

[QUOTE=Neil Williams;464571]I suggest others may wish to do the same.[/QUOTE]
    Oh I hadn't spotted that - done. Out of fairness I will try leave feedback on their blog too, though they moderate all my other comments there so I doubt this one will get through!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itchen For This Useful Post:

big chris (09-07-2019),dralphs (10-07-2019),Neil Williams (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    blimey details for my group is years out of date. I'm guessing it's not from compass as so wrong and lists people not connected with the group anymore. dropping them a line now to complain as well

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BalooNav For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Is it not just the data from the old "group finder"? Oh, wait, no, no it's not. Your 5th Beckenham has a different contact. Yes, I'd be kicking off at this point I think.

Nice to see Explorers/Network still don't exist. :(
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;464570]i left there over a year ago but i see they have acknowledged the out of date thing... but.. ***? i've been pretty good at keeping that email address off the web[/QUOTE]

You do realise how popular Escouts is compared to the beta site and that you've just pointed search engines right to the email address you've been trying to keep off the web?

Ignoring the out of wrong/breachy information (my group has very old contact details and a section meeting day (Sunday!?) that we've never used), the actual structure and functionality is much better than the current site and Explorers are now included.
    James

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    To their credit, someone has been quick to react to this, after getting into the office to find a couple of unexpected messages I'm sure...
    Group finder data seems to have been taken down. (Either that or by coincidence it is broken.)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I sent an email to Info Centre late Monday night on this subject too. I also posted a comment on the digital blog but it was never published.

As itchen says, the data seems to have been deleted overnight. There are now zero Groups in the UK.

Schoolboy error, again.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=itchen;464580]To their credit, someone has been quick to react to this, after getting into the office to find a couple of unexpected messages I'm sure...
    Group finder data seems to have been taken down. (Either that or by coincidence it is broken.)[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. It was clearly done in error, which is why I felt it just needed reporting to them rather than taking any further.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=dragonhhjh;464579]Ignoring the out of wrong/breachy information (my group has very old contact details and a section meeting day (Sunday!?) that we've never used), the actual structure and functionality is much better than the current site and Explorers are now included.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree, the overall site is quite good. The only real criticism (other than this mistake) I have is that it's taken them so long to get there!

(And it's nice to see a cross-linked online POR - we haven't had that since ScoutBase!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-07-2019)

Thanks
    Glad they now seem to be using the same contact details as the main scouts.org website although that opens up another can of worms in that its also incorrect.

No idea whare they are getting section meetings from as ours are totally wrong and missing off Explorers & Network.
    Dave Ralphs
    DofE Advisor
    Oxford Spires District