Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go outdoors grumble no refunds here, even for faulty goods

Thanks
    The way equipment such as tents is purchased in yhe group is usually via a leaders credit card.

It works like this :

we need to but some replacement/new equipment this is what's need and it will cost x.
    once approval is obtained, then it's checked, we will be buying x on (date)
    when final approval is given the items are purchased and remain property of whoever bought them until they have been payed by the group.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    The way equipment such as tents is purchased in yhe group is usually via a leaders credit card.

It works like this :

we need to but some replacement/new equipment this is what's need and it will cost x.
    once approval is obtained, then it's checked, we will be buying x on (date)
    when final approval is given the items are purchased and remain property of whoever bought them until they have been payed by the group.
    In which case depending on how much the transaction was, you could complain to the card company. Under the consumer credit act the card provider becomes jointly liable for the merchantable quality of the items so in this instance I think you'd have a good case for arguing that a tent pole that didn't even survive one erection wasn't up to scratch, and if you can show this then the credit card company has to refund your account.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...our-purchases/ is a good independent guide.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    I think sometimes, you could end up spending more time than it's worthwhile in attempting to get redress. Going through small claims for example, for a tent... It's just not worth the bother. Fair enough with trading standards, but again, if you get to that stage...

Speak to someone at the shop, if you get now joy, speak to their manager, if you still get no joy - find out who the area manager is (LinkdIn is good for this, it take five minutes). Then tell them, all you have to do is deflect one or two people away from buying from Go Outdoors and they'll have lost way more than they ever would had they just replaced the tent or the poles.

You've already shared it on here, which is putting folk off. Add that into Facebook posts, Twitter and word of mouth via other leaders and kids...

All the bother with Trading Standards could be averted with one mention of @GOoutdoors in a tweet.

Thanks
    And the latest, via twitter ( direct message)
    as mentioned fibreglass poles are not covered by warranty due to the amount if variables in how they can break. Fibeglass poles can break on first use or at any time, but will only break when put under undue pressure and as such a broken pole is usually classed as wear and tear due to these variables. This is the same for most tent manufacturers. If you speak to your local store they'd be happy to advise on what tent pole is needed to replace the broken section of the pole. We also have tutorials for how to fix poles. We're very sorry that a pole has broken on first use, however this is not considered to be a manufacturing fault in a tent that contains fibreglass poles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    So basically they are saying you broke the pole by misuse then. As obviously no pole would break on first use if manufactured correctly and used correctly.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Definatly wasnt any 'misuse' unless you count taking the pole out of the packaging, sliding through the sleeve, cliping it in at one end, then starting to clip it in at the other side

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    I believe you, they obviously don't

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Not sure on how to progress things, it looks like the customer support drone operating the Go Outdoors twitter account nst getting anywhere.
    I've found an email for the CEO so will give that a try

We use OSM, and that is plastered with Go outdoors adds ( 10% or something like that discount) and after my experiences with this retailer, I wouldnt want anyone to suffer the same, or similar fate, and the trust pilot and other online reviews are not encouraging

It all seem at odds with not just the sale of goods regulations ( consumer rights act) but their own policy published online
    If you experience any problems with your tent poles, please get in touch with a member of our team, who will help you with a repair or replacement.
    As was pointed out elsewhere ( or even on here) help with a repair isnt pointing you at a self replacement kit, any more than the offer oif a repair to a vehicle is the mechanic poitning you at a gearbox and some toiols and then saying here you go.
    Last edited by Richard T; 08-07-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    On Twitter, did you tweet publicly?

This is how people do things now. They give customer services one chance, if that doesn't work, then it's public shaming on social media. No second chances, no mucking around.

There is nothing in any civil law than precludes fibre glass poles from an person's consumer rights. I mean, I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

This is how people do things now. They give customer services one chance, if that doesn't work, then it's public shaming on social media. No second chances, no mucking around.

There is nothing in any civil law than precludes fibre glass poles from an person's consumer rights. I mean, I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

I'm less convinced by social media now - there are so many fake reviews and disgruntled people just venting, and often unrealistically, that one tweet will make very little difference. I went to a pub at the weekend which was awful, so we wrote a very poor TripAdvisor review, then discovered that it was the worst for miles around (81st out of 81), but the appalling reviews seemed to have made no difference.

I'd try the management organisation - try the chief exec !

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

i gave them a nudge

https://twitter.com/bigchriselmer/st...74624628703240

Thanks
    One option would be to go back to them and tell them you will accept a complete pole as a replacement (not a section of a pole) otherwise you will reject the entire order and take legal action. Refute their claim (in writing) that it was subject to misuse (maybe suggest you will ask them to prove such misuse should they continue with such claims). Refute the suggestion of a single section meets their requirement under consumer law of a repair (as it’s just outside of the 30 day period that would allow a refund or replacement).
    You may be lucky with writing to the CEO but unless the press gets hold of it or Twitter starts trending it social media isn’t likely to work.

Thanks
    The "just want a pole" request was tried, but the manager just said no, as its against policy
    The contact via twitter has all been via the messaging function, using the Scout twitter account

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    The "just want a pole" request was tried, but the manager just said no, as its against policy
    The contact via twitter has all been via the messaging function, using the Scout twitter account
    You get better results by not using direct messaging, as everyone gets to see how the company responds and so they are more likely to respond favourably.

If they ask you to go to DM, refuse, it's because they have something they wish to hide. Only go to DM to discuss personal details.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Me too.

https://twitter.com/GOoutdoors/statu...12550935498757

So far...

- - - Updated - - -

They're saying they've put Martin in touch with their Scout partnership rep...

JUST REPLACE THE POLE ALREADY!

Seriously, who's making these decisions? You essentially can no longer buy any tent with fibre glass poles from Go Outdoors, because if the poles break on first use, they are non-returnable.

I get it that Scouts can be heavy handed, but I reckon mines are among the worst - the tent will rip before the poles will snap.

Poor show Go Outdoor, poor show.