Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Go outdoors grumble no refunds here, even for faulty goods

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,266 Posts
    They are not covering themselves in glory...fortunately, they are doing this entirely in public.

This is exactly how Twitter works

@Chris to be fair, there are no consumer rights for a B2B purchase (all rights in that context are contractual, so they can exclude poles entirely from warranty - and it is B2B if it was purchased on behalf of a Scout Group even if you purchased it yourself and claimed expenses) but I'd be concerned as a consumer as if it was a B2C purchase they would be in clear breach of the law.

The thing I find really funny about it is that they are basically a box shifter. Box shifters (think Argos and Amazon) like to just chuck refunds around like there is no tomorrow, as people like that and it allows you to get away with stocking cheapo products which may have quality issues with no great comeback from it (think Ryanair, who similarly in disruption chuck refunds around like confetti). So why not Go?
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 09-07-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    I suspect, with fibre glass poles - they are easy to snap if you don't know how to put a tent up. If you think about the number or folk you see on any standard visit to the shop who are obviously in to by stuff for a cheap camping holiday (or a festival, but aren't dumping the tent) - perhaps this is a serious problem for them.

Obviously with Scouts, being the professional outdoors people that we are - and of course, it goes with out saying our members are uniquely careful with all equipment... It simply isn't an issue for us.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,433 Posts
    consumer purchases too: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_be...ng-incompetent

- - - Updated - - -

they sort of pre-empt this issue on their faq https://blog.gooutdoors.co.uk/is-my-...ked-questions/

y tent pole has broken/splintered

A broken tent pole may seem like the end of the world, but it’s something that can be easily rectified.
    1. Was the pole broken on the purchase of your tent?
    – If you’ve just bought a tent and the poles are broken before you even pitch, bring it back to us and our team will try to help.
    2. Did the pole snap/splinter when pitching?
    – This may be down to being put under too much pressure. Re-adjust how you are pitching as fibre-glass poles are not designed to bend too far. More often than not, this isn’t a fault in the tent, take care when pitching and if you are having to force poles to bend, then take a step back and re-adjust before the worst happens.
    Broken tent poles can be fixed easily enough, here’s how you can do it yourself:

3. Did the pole snap in poor weather?
    – We wouldn’t recommend taking a tent with a large surface area out in extreme weather, the more surface area the tent has, the more wind it will catch. While you may think the tent is not fit for purpose if your fibreglass pole snaps, they’re actually designed to snap under too much pressure, this should help prevent too much damage to your tent.
    As mentioned in the point above, a snapped section of pole can be easily fixed. Many tents won’t have direct replacement spares, as it’s not environmentally friendly to carry these extra pieces if they’re not needed. What is available are generic pole sections that can be easily added to your tent poles to fix them, you just need to let our store team know which size poles you have. If you’re unsure about fixing the pole, one of our camping experts will be happy to advise.
    4. Is it a steel pole that has bent?
    – Steel poles are a little more difficult to replace. It’s very rare that these poles will damage as they are part of very sturdy tents. If yours is damaged, it’s worth contacting your local store to see if replacements are available from the brand. We will endeavour to help in any way we can, but it should be noted that sometimes these replacements are not available.

TIP: To best protect your poles, never store your tent stood on its end, always lay it flat with the tent poles securely roled in the middle.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/shopp.../go-outdoors/1

"They then told us that poles aren't covered under warranty and we'd have to pay for repair!"

- - - Updated - - -

https://blog.gooutdoors.co.uk/tent-repair-and-care/

"Please note: Fibreglass poles may break over time or under too much pressure. These breakages are not covered by your tent guarantee and will need to be repaired. Advice is always available in store. The poles are designed to break to prevent them damaging the rest of your tent."

that is not how the law works, is it?

- - - Updated - - -

essentially, google suggests that loads of customers are really unhappy about this pole policy on all the obvious forums - mumsnet, ukcampsites, moneysavingexpert, outdoorsmagic etc.

Thanks
    Please note: Fibreglass poles may break over time or under too much pressure. The poles are designed to break to prevent them damaging the rest of your tent and we've put this here in order to weasel out of our customer service obligations.

TIP: To best protect your poles, never buy a tent with fibreglass poles (at least, not from Go Outdoors).

Thanks
    So they're essentially saying, poles are consumables?

Hmmm...

Thanks
    How many Tweets make a Twitter storm?

I've just sent:
    @GOoutdoors What's this I hear about you refusing to replace a fibreglass pole that broke on first use? Are you selling inferior gear that won't even work when new & then using the small print to dodge any responsibility?

Reply:
    We don't stock inferior gear, no. If a tent is damaged on purchase we'll be more than happy to replace the tent, however if a pole is snapped on pitching it isn't covered by warranty, but our stores can help advise on how to replace the broken section.

So I said:
    Why isn't it covered? How can you be certain that it was of merchantable quality when it left your store? Can you somehow prove that the customer did something wrong?
    Last edited by Andrew Rush; 09-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (09-07-2019),pa_broon74 (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    So if a pole is designed to break to break to prevent damaging your tent, what happens if the broken pole rips your tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    They've said to me:

We appreciate you letting us know, however as you'll appreciate the customer issue will be dealt with with the customer.
    Hmmm... I don't think they understand social media very well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (09-07-2019),Neil Williams (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    So they're essentially saying, poles are consumables?

Hmmm...
    They pretty much are. Even the priciest ones will eventually fail through fatigue from bending and unbending.

However, if I bought, say, a printer ink cartridge (which is a consumable), I would expect it not to fail on day two having printed half a page of A4 and would expect a refund or replacement if I returned one that did do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    So if a pole is designed to break to break to prevent damaging your tent, what happens if the broken pole rips your tent?

It is of course a load of rubbish.

Thanks
    Latest.

All outdoor companies in the JD Group now offer discounts to Scouts through our partnership (GO, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors) Tiso are also part of that group, however I believe already worked very closely with the Scottish scout groups
    Basically, 'so go shop somewhere else, we own them too.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Basically, 'so go shop somewhere else, we own them too.'
    Which is exactly why I was suprised the take over of GO outdoors was allowed to go ahead as clearly JD now have a dominant position in the outdoors sector which is negatively affecting competition in the outdoors market.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    They pretty much are. Even the priciest ones will eventually fail through fatigue from bending and unbending.

However, if I bought, say, a printer ink cartridge (which is a consumable), I would expect it not to fail on day two having printed half a page of A4 and would expect a refund or replacement if I returned one that did do that.

- - - Updated - - -

It is of course a load of rubbish.
    You could argue that it is faulty as the pole is supposed to break and not damage your tent. But your tent is damaged hence pole is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Cotswolds, and Decathalon are still non JD sports retailers ( as far as i know) Cotswold for the ( mostly) igher end, Decathalon for the mostly cheaper stuff.

Most of our camping is done using canvas patrol tents, however we do need to use Nylon tents, which have an expected service life of 2-3 years
    I, myself was looking into purchasing a tent, but it wont be from go outdoors, likewise when parents ask where to buy kit, again not go outdoors, and this applys to kit for their offspring (YP in Scout talk) and themselves for family camping

the latest saga is that Go outdoors have replied with this
    Hi there, we appreciate your frustration with this. [name redacted by myself], who heads up our official partnership with the scouts would like to discuss this further with you. If you wish to contact him, his email address is: [email address redacted by myself] and he will see if there's something we can do to help further.
    Which doesn't solve the initial issue

Trading standards have got back in touch
    We understand that you purchased a tent from go outdoors and it failed the first time that you attempted to use it. You are now looking for any potential rights you may have and any next steps you should take.

Your rights and obligations

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you could argue that the goods purchased were not of a satisfactory quality, what this means that it is reasonable to expect that the goods are free from faults, be fit for purpose, last a reasonable time and be safe to use. These are your statutory rights by law and goods are covered for up to 6 years from point of sale, under the limitations act. This is separate to any guarantee, or warranty you may have, or returns policy which the Trader advertises, or has stated.

You can argue for a repair or replacement, any repairs that are carried out should be free and any replacement should be on a like for like basis, both of these should be done within a reasonable time and without causing yourself any significant inconvenience. You as the consumer do only have to allow for one repair or replacement, and the trader may choose the most cost effective remedy of doing so.

If the Trader cannot repair or replace within a reasonable time, or if doing so would cause you significant inconvenience, you may be able to seek a reduction which means you would be able to keep the goods and seek a partial refund, or you can exercise the final right to reject of the goods, where you would return them to the Trader. If it less than 6 months since purchase, this would be for a full refund.

I do have to make you aware that the burden of proof is on the Trader in this situation as it is less than 6 months since purchase. The Trader would be responsible for proving that the fault was not inherent at the time of purchase and that it is due to fair wear and tear, and/or that negligence or accidental damage or misuse has taken place.

I can see from your enquiry you paid by a credit card, it may be worth speaking to your Credit Card company and ask them to do a charge back on your account. This is at the discretion of the Credit provider and their individual terms and conditions, however there is normally a timescale of 120 days to submit any claim.

Your next steps

We would suggest you to put your complaint in writing which can be seen as a more formal approach to the trader. The Citizen Advice website has template letters available that you may find useful and provide further guidance. What we would suggest is if you decide to send a letter, we advise recorded delivery and keep a copy for yourself, this starts the paper trail between yourself and the trader; however, it is also proof of postage.

Additionally, or if you have already followed the above steps, we would advise you to see if the trader has a complaints procedure and is part of an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme, this is abbreviated to ‘ADR’. What these schemes do is act as a mediator between two parties to help come to a resolution sooner than going to court.

There is a link to our website here, which details the ADR process in greater detail: Alternative Dispute Resolution, which is detailed under step 4.

If you are unable to get your situation resolved following the above steps, you would then need to pursue the matter via the small claims court, via the small claims court website. Please be aware however, you will need to have exhausted all other steps first before issuing any claim as a judge will ask you to demonstrate what practical and reasonable steps you have taken to resolve the situation with the trader first.

There is comprehensive information available on the small claims court process, on our website here deciding whether to make a small claim and making a small claim as a point of reference, which you may find useful.

What we will do

We will notify this to Trading Standards, whilst this does not help to resolve your specific issue it does give Trading Standards vital intelligence of how the trader is operating their business. If Trading Standards require any further information, they will be in touch. Please note, because our aim is to offer impartial advice and information, we cannot act on anyone's behalf or offer an opinion. Our role is to outline a consumers’ legal position, given the information provided and explain what options may be available to a consumer so they can try and resolve a civil dispute themselves.

Therefore, there is no need to provide copies of any correspondence between you and the trader; or any other evidence concerning your case, to the Citizens Advice consumer service. It is important however, that you retain copies for your own records.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service by return email or on
    Last edited by Richard T; 09-07-2019 at 07:04 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (10-07-2019),BalooNav (11-07-2019),itchen (09-07-2019),Neil Williams (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    After tweeting about this, my Facebook timeline is now filled with adverts for a tent sale at Go Outdoors.

I might go an have a loo-

I'm joking...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Minor update...

Left a review over on trust pilot, had this reply back...
    I am sorry to hear the issue you have received, I can send a pole out to you for the tent, please can you send me your order details, please.
    I replied to this with name+address+receipt+item information, but so far have heard nothing back

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (16-07-2019)