Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to get funding for...

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    the person who made the decision went on to other roles in Scouting and indeed is still involved in a position where if not careful similar decisions could be made.
    There is an argument that having been burnt, that person is who you want in that position. An awful lot of effort goes into removing people who make mistakes, meaning that in effect, the organisation doesn't learn from the mistake....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (12-07-2019),shiftypete (12-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    I am aware of a local Scout Group who many years ago applied for a grant for a project. That project never got off the ground and the GSL decided to incorporate the grant into Group funds.

A while after (2 or 3 years I believe) the funders had asked to see the progress and the accounts for the project and decided that as it hadn't been started they wanted the money back.

Ooops, the money had been incorporated and spent on other things. Raising the money and paying it back very nearly bankrupted the Group.

Nothing was said at District and the person who made the decision went on to other roles in Scouting and indeed is still involved in a position where if not careful similar decisions could be made.
    Quelle Surprise!

Bit like upping the County levy " to pay for Jubilee celebrations" .... Did someone say Peru?....
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    If you ever apply, and are successful in getting funding for a project that 'Provides coaching to Leaders in how to succeed in the funding process' I would like to apply for a place on this Course.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhi.m.g. For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (14-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhi.m.g. View Post
    If you ever apply, and are successful in getting funding for a project that 'Provides coaching to Leaders in how to succeed in the funding process' I would like to apply for a place on this Course.
    Welcome to Escouts

Actually...

The Charities Aid Foundation do run courses to that end. I attended just such a course run by CAF in partnership with the local Voluntary Action Netwrok, in Huddersfield, which was, at that point, part funded by the local authority. So, I did essentially get the funding to train to access funding...

Find your local Voluntary Action Trust - most areas have them in some format or another. Then get on their mailing list and also ask them about course they may run. You will often find that they run courses at nominal fees, or free to local charities. I found the Funding Course very useful - They also run skills course for small charities - including things like volunteer recruitment and retention, volunteer management, first aid, mental health first aid etc.

I have accessedtwo funding course and a two day Mental Health First Aid Course free of charge... I'd have asked my team to attend some of their free courses, but there is a catch... there is always a catch.

The CAF staff are NOT vlunteers, and they generally work a 9-5 -5day week, as do their hosts, so most courses are held daytime, weekdays, which preculdes most working people attendinf. I am fortunate, in that I can manage my own tme to accommodate such courses - but, they are available if you do a little research.

If I had made it to DC level, one of the things that I would have done, was arrange a CAF fundraising course for the District - better to spend £maybe £500 on training, and get enhanced funding skills at Groups, than to not investthe funds and see them frittered away on lossmaking projects ( that shouldn't be lossmaking -IMHO)
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

big chris (14-07-2019)

Thanks
    I'm a bit late to this party but I've read it with interest.
    I agree with Bushfella, there is money going abegging and these days you don't need to look far to find it.
    I've got a paperback book called: A Guide to Scottish Trusts, published until 2006/2007 and up until 2015 I was still using it to target funds/grants.
    Now Funding Scotland send a weekly email with a list of funds/grants plus criteria/deadlines/etc.

Over the past 15 years for my scout group, I have probably raised well over £50,000 through grant applications. (Not quite Bushfella standard but I'm still happy with it )
    We're based in an area that suffers from multiple deprivation, high unemployment, single parent families, etc. so if there's money that can help subsidise scouting, I'm going to apply.
    Form filling isn't particularly glamorous or even enjoyable but it can be effective.

I can't find the email anymore but I'm pretty sure TSA own Fundraising Project were promoting the use of Crowdfunding Appeals.
    I haven't seen any scout crowdfunding appeal work (although to be fair, my scope is probably quite small).

I've now made the move to DC and my funding perspective has changed. My priorities in the group were easy: find money to help pay for camp or buy tents or pay rent.
    I like the idea of a fundraising course for the District, it's something I will look into.
    On my travels throughout the District, I regularly comment on funding applications and have offered many times to help groups complete forms.
    I keep trawling through the emails and I send links to groups advising them to apply. I know of some that do apply and I'm hopeful that more will.

I got the email yesterday about the "friendlier way of talking".
    I find teamwork, leadership, resilience, independence are good buzzwords for application forms.
    Despite the new friendlier and more relatable language, I don't think I'll be using it on grant applications.

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    I've got a paperback book called: A Guide to Scottish Trusts, published until 2006/2007 and up until 2015 I was still using it to target funds/grants.
    Now Funding Scotland send a weekly email with a list of funds/grants plus criteria/deadlines/etc.

Over the past 15 years for my scout group, I have probably raised well over £50,000 through grant applications. (Not quite Bushfella standard but I'm still happy with it )
    We're based in an area that suffers from multiple deprivation, high unemployment, single parent families, etc. so if there's money that can help subsidise scouting, I'm going to apply.
    Form filling isn't particularly glamorous or even enjoyable but it can be effective.
    The local reference libraries used to hold several versions of the type of book you talk about. I used to go in, find the funders, copy the details and then make applications.

This has all gone digital now, our local authority use a package provided by Idox https://www.idoxopen4community.co.uk

Idox also works with https://www.open4funding.info/about-us/grantfinder/

Grantsnet was another avenue but it is being relaunched

Since these are digital databases they are much easier to search with your data/ criteria.

As you will know, the trick is to ensure that your needs meet their criteria (and vice versa).

Postcode Lottery and A4A are still good for a try, but since they are obvious pots for larger sums, they are oversubscribed and can actually discriminate against Guides and Scouts who are often seen to be too successful in applying...
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Postcode Lottery and A4A are still good for a try, but since they are obvious pots for larger sums, they are oversubscribed and can actually discriminate against Guides and Scouts who are often seen to be too successful in applying...
    Our last big grant was £10,000 from A4A. (in fact i contacted you for advice because we were applying for archery equipment)
    I recently applied to Postcode Lottery for the group and separately for the District but neither were successful, although I think the group application was probably closer to acceptance.

I still dig out the book from time to time, then I need to google them to see if they're still giving grants or check with OSCR to see their status.
    It can be a bit of donkey work finding a grant body to apply to, completing the application form properly, selling your group's poverty, etc. but absolutely worth it when you get a positive reply.

Someone mentioned earlier about tweaking the application to suit the criteria. This is absolutely essential too.
    Not everyone will give money to groups in areas of deprivation but they'll give you money if you're going to undertake conservation, perhaps at a camp.
    If you don't ask, you don't get but don't lie.

I took scouts to London and Brownsea a couple of years ago. I completed lots of application forms and wrote lots of letters to trusts.
    We got funding towards camp uniform (polo/hoodie), activities and general camp costs. Enough money to reduce the overall cost and pay for extra activities whilst we were there.

My letter format for camps for the group is pretty much standard these days:
    • Who we are

• What we're doing

• What we're asking for

• Why they should fund us

• Thanks

I'm happy to share actual letters if anyone wants to see them.

Neil