Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking on Gas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts

Cooking on Gas

We are camping on in a farmer's field for our summer camp and the farmer does not allow ground fires on the field itself. As such we will be cooking on gas stoves, the last time we did this we used a central mess tent to cook in, whilst this worked ok we did find it impinged on working in patrols. As such we would prefer to distribute gas stoves out to patrols but to do this they would have to cook under open sided dining shelters and we are unsure whether this will work or if the wind is likely to cause issues with the gas flame either being blown out or just not being very efficient in heating the food if the widn gets at the flames.

Anyone got any experience either way?

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    We are camping on in a farmer's field for our summer camp and the farmer does not allow ground fires on the field itself. As such we will be cooking on gas stoves, the last time we did this we used a central mess tent to cook in, whilst this worked ok we did find it impinged on working in patrols. As such we would prefer to distribute gas stoves out to patrols but to do this they would have to cook under open sided dining shelters and we are unsure whether this will work or if the wind is likely to cause issues with the gas flame either being blown out or just not being very efficient in heating the food if the widn gets at the flames.

Anyone got any experience either way?
    It probably depends on your stove. But if you plan to cook things that need the burner going full chat, you should be okay. We did exactly this, old school dining shelters and those cartridge stoves last year, and I think they were pretty much okay. Though it wasn't exactly blowing that hard.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    They would all be double burner style stoves attached to gas bottles by gas hoses. We have a couple of foker ones and couple of camping gaz branded stoves plus another one with a lid/back plate which Leaders will use in our marquee (it doesn't fit large pans on it very well)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We use double burner stoves with separate gas bottles for a lot of camps under an open dining/cooking shelter for patrol cooking. Works fine but be prepared to have to teach Scouts that they need to check the wind direction and turn the cooker round to so the wind shield protects the flame.

Thanks
    Not so much Scout camping but when camping as a family we use one of these - https://www.kampa.co.uk/furniture/universal-windshield - you can support them with the suction cups but we found it easier to drill three very small holes in the aluminium table we use as a cooker stand and let the three pins you can see (centre back and front of the two wings) drop into those to keep it in position at which point the U shape keeps it upright and stable. They fold down to virtually nothing and are pretty cheap to buy. Prior to getting that we did find that the wind could take all the heat away from the pan and make cooking very slow.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We use double burner stoves with separate gas bottles for a lot of camps under an open dining/cooking shelter for patrol cooking. Works fine but be prepared to have to teach Scouts that they need to check the wind direction and turn the cooker round to so the wind shield protects the flame.
    We only have one stove with a wind shield most are just like the double foker burners so totally open. Is it worth taking something to create windsheilds?

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    We always used stoves with wind shields. It doesn't need to be too windy for the heat to be blown off course - and - what's the Scout Motto?

It's easy enough to throw together wind shields. Some scraps of cut planks of wood - hinged if you can or just propped up using what ever you have to hand.

You could short your guy lines down one side of the cooking shelter and pitch it closer to the ground... (Assuming it's the flysheet-style dining shelters I'm thinking about...)

Thanks
    Ok sounds like some windsheilds will need to be created if we are to use the stoves in patrol dining shelters then. Thanks all.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    We cooked exclusively on gas during our week long summer camp in August 2018, at Ferny Crofts as we were concerned about the fire risk (very, very hot and dry camp) and there was a severe lack of firewood on site (and strict instructions not to gather wood in the New Forest).

We had 4 patrols each cooking on a Foker cast iron double burner with 15kg gas cylinder. They cooked out in the open, outside of their dining shelters and had very little issue with wind blowing the gas out or extending cooking times; but the weather was very fine and not windy all week. It would not be too difficult to rig something to keep the wind off, or use cheap "beach" windbreaks around the cooking table if required.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    I was thinking, I'm sure we had some, probably inherited or handed in - we rarely buy stuff like that...

Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Fold...22212019&psc=1

It gives you an idea of what you might build or put together...

Thanks
    https://www.trackpack.co.uk/yellowst...hen-stand.html

We have a bunch of stove stands like this. We also have ones which have legs that unfold from each end (in a similar way to the way folding table legs work, if that makes sense) and these seem to have lasted more robustly, but these concertina ones we still use for storage.

A double-burner gas stove sits on top, and we generally don't worry then about which way the wind is blowing.

Thanks

Cooking on Gas

IMG_20190612_150314.jpg
    Nearly 20 years ago I made a box as shown in the picture with a removable lid to store our new 2 burner gas cooker - I had it back recently from my old Group for a repaint - it was designed such that it protected the cooker in transit or storage (that cooker has been to Kandersteg 4 times in the County kit lorry without damage); and by removing the lid & uncoiling the gas hose it could be used on any surface without fear of burning the surface; and it cuts down on wind taking the heat away. Feel free to copy!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20190612_150249.jpg
    Box with lid attached
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh01 View Post
    https://www.trackpack.co.uk/yellowst...hen-stand.html

We have a bunch of stove stands like this. We also have ones which have legs that unfold from each end (in a similar way to the way folding table legs work, if that makes sense) and these seem to have lasted more robustly, but these concertina ones we still use for storage.

A double-burner gas stove sits on top, and we generally don't worry then about which way the wind is blowing.
    These are a good bit of kit if you can find them going cheap - better than the concertina ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-B...gAAOSwR7ldBU67

That one in the images isn't set up correctly - if you do it right the top of the leg underneath, overlaps the bottom of the leg from the layer above and holds it in place.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I was thinking, I'm sure we had some, probably inherited or handed in - we rarely buy stuff like that...

Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Fold...22212019&psc=1

It gives you an idea of what you might build or put together...
    Thanks for that, I have ordered something very similar but which will arrive in time for our camp. For the sake of 15 for 4 of them it wasn't worth faffing around trying to rig something of our own up.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    IMG_20190612_150314.jpg
    Nearly 20 years ago I made a box as shown in the picture with a removable lid to store our new 2 burner gas cooker - I had it back recently from my old Group for a repaint - it was designed such that it protected the cooker in transit or storage (that cooker has been to Kandersteg 4 times in the County kit lorry without damage); and by removing the lid & uncoiling the gas hose it could be used on any surface without fear of burning the surface; and it cuts down on wind taking the heat away. Feel free to copy!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20190612_150249.jpg
    Box with lid attached
    What is the extra square under the burner made from? Is it a heat proof material?

2014 - GSL 2nd Leek
    2014 - 2017 ACC (Activities) Staffordshire
    1990 - 2014 1st Marlow Bottom Scout Group - Beaver, Cub, Scout, ACSL, CSL, SL & AGSL
    AUL Buckinghamshire WSJ 2011
    www.2ndleekscouts.co.uk