Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friendlier way of talking

Thanks

A friendlier way of talking

Did anyone get the new email from the scout branding ambassador with links to new guidance on how to “talk” in the on-brand way?

I particularly like this gem on line 1 of the PDF.

3B70BF47-308F-491A-A343-C9450AEA7C9B.jpeg

The thought of anyone in our leadership team producing a cool enough YouTube video makes me chuckle. District doesn’t even have a website working yet!
    Last edited by Atb; 16-07-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    ESL - Titan ESU (Wakefield)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    ROTFLMHO... Though , in all seriousness, youtube filled with Scout vidoes would be a good way of promoting the concept but... without overall control it could also highlight the lack of uniformity in scouting.

I have often put the idea of making a video to young people and the ideas has never taken off, except once - two girls made a video on their i-phone of a trip to Alsace. But they wouldn't let me see it, and they were very secretive about it - apart from posting it on Instagram (doh!). When I did get to see it, I thought it was excellent and there was nothing in it that they should be so coy about ( and it wasn't a censored version that I saw because I got it via another Explorer who thought they were being silly).

I'm not sure how my current lot would react to a video session...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Ive tried it with cubs and scouts, we even bought small video cameras, this was before everyone had smart phones, but again they werent really bothered and usually forgot to record anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Set them a challenge with a theme. eg. We went to a Roman fort in Kent and I gave each patrol a camera. One patrol did a Disney musical ("do you want to meet a Roman?' to the tune of 'do you want to build a snowman') one did a kids TV show, etc etc all about Romans) ... You could probably do some YouTube themed stuff about bloggers, walkthroughs etc. I'd need a YL's help with that!

Play the stuff on same day or at least in very recent memory. (WiFi projectors FTW)

You need good speakers to play it loud. Phone microphones are rubbish.

We have seen some brilliance over the years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atb View Post
    Did anyone get the new email from the scout branding ambassador with links to new guidance on how to “talk” in the on-brand way?

I particularly like this gem on line 1 of the PDF.

3B70BF47-308F-491A-A343-C9450AEA7C9B.jpeg

The thought of anyone in our leadership team producing a cool enough YouTube video makes me chuckle. District doesn’t even have a website working yet!
    I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. The first paragraph is all about what HQ do, not leaders. The second paragraph is about "us" - ie the way we talk to people about scouting and communicate messages.
    James

Thanks
    This is that FISH! Thing all over again. As always, it will be preaching to the converted.

There is a convincing argument to be made that communication skills could be taught alongside safeguarding etc.

Leaders tell parents they need help for insurance purposes on a trip to the park (and then don't talk to them or involve them if they step up)

We put out an invite to camp but don't explain what it is, or why it's awesome (and are surprised when alot of kids don't sign up)

We have a weird tedious AGM as our prime recruitment event then wonder why nobody volunteers (when we know there are dads in the group who used to be scouts and still love fire)

We send negative messages home about cub behaviour or poor uniform bur don't share photos of the good stuff.

Etc etc.

Scouting often happens behind a closed door and parents never realise we are amazing.

Sadly, we won't change the people who just don't get it. ("my parents never volunteer" but don't understand theirs is also a sales role!)

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

CambridgeSkip (17-07-2019),dragonhhjh (17-07-2019),hippysurfer (18-07-2019),johnL (17-07-2019),shiftypete (17-07-2019),Ste (21-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

We send negative messages home about cub behaviour or poor uniform bur don't share photos of the good stuff.

Etc etc.

Scouting often happens behind a closed door and parents never realise we are amazing.
    Which is why we ask parents to join our Closed FB Group and why we post as many photos and videos of what is happening as we can.

Yes, there is the odd negative on behaviour, but the majority of the posts are about what we are doing and images of what we are doing.

I just don't understand the attitude that hides what we do. Groups with no websites, no directory entries, groups with no Internet presence at all, groups who seek no publicity at all. I don't understand.

Parents have to know, we have to tell them, because often the kids don't.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    This is that FISH! Thing all over again. As always, it will be preaching to the converted.

There is a convincing argument to be made that communication skills could be taught alongside safeguarding etc.

Leaders tell parents they need help for insurance purposes on a trip to the park (and then don't talk to them or involve them if they step up)

We put out an invite to camp but don't explain what it is, or why it's awesome (and are surprised when alot of kids don't sign up)

We have a weird tedious AGM as our prime recruitment event then wonder why nobody volunteers (when we know there are dads in the group who used to be scouts and still love fire)

Etc etc.

Sadly, we won't change the people who just don't get it. ("my parents never volunteer" but don't understand theirs is also a sales role!)

All of this! As a group we try and put as much positive and interesting stuff out there as possible.Website, facebook, twitter, youtube. Pictures of kids doing fun stuff with smiles. And what we have is a growing group with (mostly) the volunteers to match.

Our AGM is a summer family BBQ with a formal bit in the middle.

Although as someone said, I fear some of this material will preach to the converted. I've taken notice of it. (I say that, reading the email is on my to do list!) I fear those who need it most will forget it was ever there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Which is why we ask parents to join our Closed FB Group and why we post as many photos and videos of what is happening as we can.

Yes, there is the odd negative on behaviour, but the majority of the posts are about what we are doing and images of what we are doing.

I just don't understand the attitude that hides what we do. Groups with no websites, no directory entries, groups with no Internet presence at all, groups who seek no publicity at all. I don't understand.

Parents have to know, we have to tell them, because often the kids don't.
    I would actually go a step further. We are reaching an age, quite quickly, where if you don't have an internet presence then you don't exist. Organisations of any sort, who don't advertise themselves or have some internet based way of being noticed and contacted will shrivel up and fade away. It will be like Blockbuster in the age of netflix or horses in the age of the car. A thing of the past.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-07-2019)

Thanks
    We moved to our new town on 23 May. Looking at my emails, I'd built my new group a website by the 6 June.

I can't fix the roof or test the wiring but I can build a website! So yes. I think it's vital

12. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    We moved to our new town on 23 May. Looking at my emails, I'd built my new group a website by the 6 June.

I can't fix the roof or test the wiring but I can build a website! So yes. I think it's vital

Does it have to be a website, though? I reckon these days you'd get away with a FB page...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Does it have to be a website, though? I reckon these days you'd get away with a FB page...
    Websites are static adverts for most organisations - I'm wary of saying this - but you can tell how much attention they pay to them by how out of date they can become. I can thin of one household name that has a website with its latest news updates three years out of date!

Social media is more important, for sure, but you still need that base website. We have recruited directly as a result of the website, but always supported by social media. And that is against the background of the branding of TSA and three or four local goups in our area.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Websites are static adverts for most organisations - I'm wary of saying this - but you can tell how much attention they pay to them by how out of date they can become. I can thin of one household name that has a website with its latest news updates three years out of date!

Social media is more important, for sure, but you still need that base website. We have recruited directly as a result of the website, but always supported by social media. And that is against the background of the branding of TSA and three or four local goups in our area.
    I reckon you could easily get away without the website if the District had a well-designed one that appeared in Google searches for the Groups, and which had a contact form for each Group, to be honest.

Navs is I guess a bit different

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Without our website I reckon our Group would have closed a couple of years ago. Why? Because most of our current Leaders joined by completing the volunteering form on our wesbite including our current BSL and CSL who both replaced retiring Leaders who we had no in house replacement for.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Without our website I reckon our Group would have closed a couple of years ago. Why? Because most of our current Leaders joined by completing the volunteering form on our wesbite including our current BSL and CSL who both replaced retiring Leaders who we had no in house replacement for.
    Whereas most of ours have come from the District waiting list, where we often make big bulk offers of "queue jumping" places in Beavers and Cubs for parents willing to commit to volunteer for at least a year (subject to DBS etc). I recently did get one through our contact form who seems to have slipped through that particular net, though.

It's probably more important to more rural Groups where District waiting lists don't work - but the benefits of them in urban Districts are huge and I don't understand why they aren't more universal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    We don't have District waiting lists and are certainly not a rural District (I think being part of one of the largest cities in the UK probably means its an urban District although much of the District it is quite suburban). I don't think District waiting lists would work for us, traffic is so bad in Leeds at times that the idea of driving half way across the city for Scouting is just not going to work for most (Our District covers the North of Leeds which is actually most of the City). We do share info with nearby Groups and if they have spaces (not often for Beavers and Cubs these days) try to encourage those on our waiting lists to go there.

Only one of our new(er) Leaders is a parent (of any child, nevermind a parent of a child wanting to join). They are pretty much all people who have come up through Scouting, moved to the area and wanted to stay involved in Scouting so volunteered with the nearest Group with a half decent website.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 19-07-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with